How do you not be "that weird guy/girl"?

Options

Replies

• tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I always say that it'll mess up my blood sugar. They assume I'm diabetic or something and leave me alone.
  • jmikels67
    Options
    Maybe just a short answer along the lines of - I have really struggled with my weight, and if I start I'll eat too many, but thanks!! Or, I've struggled with my weight, so I keep Saturday (or whatever day you're not at work) as my one treat day so I don't go overboard.

In the end, do what's best for you :-)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I also like to tell them that I'm just so stuffed from the awesome lunch that I simply don't have room for another bite.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Pretend to be allergic to all kinds of crap.

That's how I got my mother-in-law to stop feeding me tomatoes. (I don't like them)
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    To avoid holier then though. Say u don't like sweets that much. No thank u is sufficient though. I would think maybe u aren't hungry. What ever the reason it's not rude more for the person that wants them.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Don't say you don't want their "unhealthy" food, it always sounds so rude.

Simply say you aren't hungry, you don't care for XYZ, or tell them to bugger off and leave you and your eating habits alone.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Just be honest. I find it fun to be different but I am just weird that way LOL
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Nothing can be weirder than the girl with the gallon jug of water on her desk.... trust me I know...
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If someone asks, just say "I used to be very unhealthy, I will treat myself once in a while- but one thing leads to another. Thanks but no thanks! Maybe next time"

This - be honest. You were larger once and now you are maintaining. Just let them know.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    how about 'i'm trying to stay away from ___________ (fill in the blank)' they will understand...
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The point is to be weird.
    20 years ago it was weird for folks to be obese..now, sadly it is getting to be the norm.
    I say be weird...look at them all crazy when they offer you stuff and say "As if" and walk away. Set the example.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Since when is "no" considered rude? Honestly...
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Since when is "no" considered rude? Honestly...

word
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there really is a point and they do stop asking... When that happens you will wish that sometimes they would ask. Even if you would decline.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    In office situations, I usually stick to a few excuses:

"I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but it looks great" (to keep from offending who ever made it!)
    "I already ate breakfast/lunch, but thanks" (whenever my boss insists on bringing in donuts or other snacks)
    "I already have plans to have lunch/dinner with my husband, sorry" (when I am getting pressure to go out to eat at a place I'd rather not!)
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the problem. The canteen here at work is right next to my fishbowl office so I can see the food folks bring in for parties. Also I'm in the South. Yeesh.

I'm sure that if you ask around, there are plenty of other folks in your workplace who are on special diets (diabetics, people with food allergies, etc.) so it's not so unusual to say no.

Generally when I have to turn away from a dish, it's pretty clear that I don't WANT to - but I am totally honest with anyone who asks that I'm a sugar addict and if I have one bite on the wrong day, it's all downhill from there. Once folks understand that, they may even start appreciating your own restrictions and think of you, too, when they bring in stuff. Such as low-fat dips, sugar-free puddings, etc.

Just be who you are, and always be polite. The food will be eaten one way or another; it's not your responsibility to make anyone else feel like a great cook.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I used to get all wierded out about that kind of stuff. We have meetings at work every couple of months that involve lots of food, catered lunch and sampeling of new products. They pass all sorts of stuff around all day long - and I either put some on my plate in front of me and disect it so I can see what it's made of so I'm informed (to show customers later) or just pass on it all together. I used to get lots of comments about it, mainly because I think other people feel wierd gorging themselves around you if you aren't partaking - but now they just know that I eat healthy and won't eat that JUNK.

Hang in there - it will get easier.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Can you say you're in training for something? Or too much fatty sweet food gives you gas, so you avoid it :P
    ^^this.

I have a very cute, med small, white, fluffy dog that is hard to walk because everybody's child wants to pet (which I do not allow for many reasons). I've taken to telling people she's in training as they ask when we pass. Works like a charm. Otherwise they get mad (really??). It's just simple. They can't say or do anything without looking like jerks and really... I will say it's even kind of true. We are out there to get our exercise so we are training for life and our health.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there really is a point and they do stop asking... When that happens you will wish that sometimes they would ask. Even if you would decline.

This too! I get that, most people know that I just won't/can't eat like that - so now they don't offer....and even though I might say no - I might say yes too......let me decide. lol!!!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the problem. The canteen here at work is right next to my fishbowl office so I can see the food folks bring in for parties. Also I'm in the South. Yeesh.

I'm sure that if you ask around, there are plenty of other folks in your workplace who are on special diets (diabetics, people with food allergies, etc.) so it's not so unusual to say no.

Generally when I have to turn away from a dish, it's pretty clear that I don't WANT to - but I am totally honest with anyone who asks that I'm a sugar addict and if I have one bite on the wrong day, it's all downhill from there. Once folks understand that, they may even start appreciating your own restrictions and think of you, too, when they bring in stuff. Such as low-fat dips, sugar-free puddings, etc.

Just be who you are, and always be polite. The food will be eaten one way or another; it's not your responsibility to make anyone else feel like a great cook.

I agree with this completely!

However, if you end up with anyone at your new job that is a serious "food pusher", and they won't let it go and INSIST on you eating stuff... here's my suggestion... (FYI, I'm a bit of a smart a@@...)

Next time someone says "you can take a break from your diet"... or... "you've been eating sooooo good, it won't kill you to have this"...

Whip out a pack of cigarettes and offer them up - saying "Hey, you've been breathing soooo much oxygen, it won't kiill you to smoke this pack, go for it! You can always stop smoking later!"

Then let them know you are trying to make a point... NOT eating their "food crack" is a VERY serious health issue to you and you would appreciate an acceptance of "no thank you" the FIRST time you say it.

Good luck!

:drinker:

Ice