Intermittent fasting/prolong fasting

Options
Does anyone follow an intermittent fasting regime?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Because of schedule, and pretty sedentary job, and exercise in the evenings - usually a 4-5 hr eating window until midnight, or tad after.

Been doing it for years now. Except when backpacking.

Skeptical test started it because I'd seen potential for improvement to migraines in some research - worked for me.
  • amb000
    amb000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    SweetDoris wrote: »
    Does anyone follow an intermittent fasting regime?

Meeeeee! 7:17 window
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am just starting working up to it, with a plan to try to get to 16/8 everyday. I had such a huge problem with night eating. For me, doing Time Restricted Eating (eating only between 7 am to 7 pm) is what I am working on now, with plans to gradually expanding the fasting window up to 16 hours daily.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yes - ive been dieting for the last month doing 16:8.
    I skip breakfast and only eat after my lunchtime walk with the dog.
    The first week was quite hard with definite feelings of low energy, but week 2 I started to feel pretty good and the new eating patterns started to feel normal. Its totally stopped my all day grazing patterns that have caused so many false starts. In conjunction with low impact exercise like Walking its fine as you dont suffer an energy crash. That fits with my routine of dog walking.
  • lowcarbmami
    lowcarbmami Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do an 18:6 on most days and have been working towards a 23:1 once a week. I’ve seen great results with it along with diet and exercise
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes. Generally 2pm-10pm eating window and fasting from 10pm-2pm.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I tend to want to eat a lot in the evening. I did IF for about 6 months - 16-8 - 2 pm to 10 pm. It is hard for me to overeat in that window. Now I usually have something small in the morning - like a protein bar - but I learned to consume most of my food late in the day and that helps me keep the calories at the desired level.
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not technically, but sorta. I don't eat before lunch and stop at 8 pm because it causes heartburn if I do. There are variances, but that is my usual pattern. I also prefer 2 meals and 2 snacks.
  • hbug8888
    hbug8888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do intermittent fasting because it makes me much more likely to binge eat later 😭
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    I don't. I hit the wall if I don't get food regularly, and especially not enough carbs. Still not sure what's going on, but it seems my body can't properly access fatty acids. This also means that when I wake up in the morning I'm starving, and again hit the wall when I'm just slightly active. I only have replenished energy enough in the evening to work out.
  • 7Kokyudo13
    7Kokyudo13 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I do. I do a 22/2h plus exercise. As a booster I did a 44/4h for 30 days and twice 70/2h in that time. I helped me big time (from over 100kg down to 85kg). And for some reason it is easy for me to do. I since then stick with the 22/2h (and the exercises of course) and I set my limit to 1250 calories (and hardly ever reach it...)
  • InspiredBrunette
    InspiredBrunette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Me & my currently do OMAD 23/1
    Which means fasting for 23 hours and eating dinner during a 1 hour window it works Amazingly and could do this for a lifetime minus special occasions and holidays
  • ymeoru
    ymeoru Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do OMAD, as well. I really like this plan, which surprises me greatly. During the first two weeks, I could have eaten the flowers in the front yard. But, now (after several months), I'm not even hungry by the time I do eat (3 PM). I watch the carbs and avoid sugar. That helps, as well, I think. I'm not sure I could go back to eating more than once a day. It's much easier for me to plan 1 meal than 2 or 3.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    ymeoru wrote: »
    I do OMAD, as well. I really like this plan, which surprises me greatly. During the first two weeks, I could have eaten the flowers in the front yard. But, now (after several months), I'm not even hungry by the time I do eat (3 PM). I watch the carbs and avoid sugar. That helps, as well, I think. I'm not sure I could go back to eating more than once a day. It's much easier for me to plan 1 meal than 2 or 3.

Just for understanding, as I feel this might be cultural. Why do you have to plan meals other than dinner? My breakfasts and lunches take about 5 minutes each. No planning involved other than deciding whether I put apple or grapes into my muesli, or a slice of cheese of salami on my slice of bread.

• 7Kokyudo13
    Options
    7Kokyudo13 wrote: »
    I do. I do a 22/2h plus exercise. As a booster I did a 44/4h for 30 days and twice 70/2h in that time. I helped me big time (from over 100kg down to 85kg). And for some reason it is easy for me to do. I since then stick with the 22/2h (and the exercises of course) and I set my limit to 1250 calories (and hardly ever reach it...)

This does not sound healthy, 1250 or less while exercising is too little.

It works for me... and I'm much healthier than I was before.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

What were you doing before?
  • 7Kokyudo13
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

What were you doing before?

Not eat/live like that. (And before you ask; I was healthy before - I'm just healthier now.)
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture of 16/ 8 and 20/4 with weekends off depending on my plans.
    It's the easiest way to limit calories for me.
    I've been doing it for around a year.
    I wish I had discovered it years ago after so much time and money wasted.