How do you not be "that weird guy/girl"?

Options

Replies

• bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would be honest. They didn't get to see you before you lost weight but you are visible proof of what they can achieve. Maybe the person you tell secretly wishes they could do the same thing but feels its impossible. Most people assume if you are skinny, you always have been and can eat whatever you want. Telling them you made a lifestyle change to maintain your health and weightloss is inspirational and may help them put that brownie down.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think that a simple, "no thanks" is fine. If someone takes offense to that, they're the weird guy/girl!

I agree with this.

You don't need to offer an explanation. just be polite, then go back to work. If they ask why, you always say you're not in the mood for (insert food item here) right now, maybe later. then smile and walk away
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Why lie? Or stretch the truth.
    Say the stuff if bad for the body and you don't choose to eat. This way you are educating them.
    I dont eat partially hydrogenated oils or things that have them in it. If someone offers me something that I think has oils like that in it I tell em the stuff has partially hydrogenated oil which are a man-made product with tons of health risks that I am not willing to take. I have quite a few friends who now look at labels because I told them why I wont eat it.
    Same for canola oil..man made of toxic mustardseed and rapeseed from the Canadian oil company.

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I AM that weird girl when it comes to food. I tell everyone I am a really fussy eater. It saves on people thinking I am being holier than thou, and as I am already vegetarian with food allergies, it's fairly easy to tell people I'll supply my own food.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I find if you just say "Not now, but thank you very much for offering" most people won't press the issue. Truthfully, they just want to be acknowledged and could care less if you eat something or not.

Don't lie about an allergy since you have to work with these people everyday. Eventually one day you'll bring something in or crave a treat and you'll either get caught in the lie or suffer some humiliation. Also, don't be the one to avoid gatherings with food. Just suck it up and go- bring your own snacks or meals if you have to - but avoiding these events altogether will just make you seem rude.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I say "no thank you, I'm good" and it works great. No need to lie, best around the bush, our anything else.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really care what people think of my eating habits, as they are mine. My co-workers know that I try to live a pretty strict and healthy lifestyle and that while I mainly stick to it I will wander every now and again. They understand the decision I've made to be a better me, and they respect the fact that I like to "let loose" every now and again when we go out to lunch or happy hour (I think it makes me more human). Honestly, if they think you're stuck up because you won't eat a damn brownie it seems to me they are the ones with the issue.
  • lanaholt
    Options
    Lots of great advice. I usually say, I've worked very hard and struggled with unhealthy food choices for a long time, so I only allow myself 1 indulgence a week. So, no thanks. If they are coworkers, they will get to know you, love you for who you are and be fine with your own choices. People around me know not to offer me junk anymore. In fact, now they come to me for advice. =]
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I actually think men have this easier. There isn't the presumption that they love chocolate and cake, like there is with women (I actually don't like either, and am always being told I am a freak). Also men don't often get the jealousy thing women have between themselves. Some women seem to pressure other people into eating junk to make themselves feel better about their food choices. And I would guess also to make the other person fatter!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Don't say you don't want their "unhealthy" food, it always sounds so rude.

Simply say you aren't hungry, you don't care for XYZ, or tell them to bugger off and leave you and your eating habits alone.
    I have to agree with this. Using the word "unhealthy" when describing what someone else is currently enjoying can seem like a judgement of that person. I usually say "I'm not eating sugar right now" or because I really am working to cut down my carb intake. It has not required a further explanation thus far.

If you're pushed, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with further explaining that you've managed to lose a significant amount of weight with your current nutrition plan and that you are continuing to watch what you eat. Most people will respect that.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I actually think men have this easier. There isn't the presumption that they love chocolate and cake, like there is with women (I actually don't like either, and am always being told I am a freak).

I don't attribute that just to women. My husband isn't really into chocolate or cake (every year for his birthday I make him cookies because he's that not into cake) and I tell him hes a freak . . . just saying.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I feel like people look at me turning up my nose and perceive me as being a stuck up girl who thinks of herself as "holier than thou."

Just because you feel this way doesn't mean it's actually happening. If they are noticing, at all, they probably either envy or appreciate your self control.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Don't say you don't want their "unhealthy" food, it always sounds so rude.

Simply say you aren't hungry, you don't care for XYZ, or tell them to bugger off and leave you and your eating habits alone.
    I have to agree with this. Using the word "unhealthy" when describing what someone else is currently enjoying can seem like a judgement of that person. I usually say "I'm not eating sugar right now" or because I really am working to cut down my carb intake. It has not required a further explanation thus far.

If you're pushed, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with further explaining that you've managed to lose a significant amount of weight with your current nutrition plan and that you are continuing to watch what you eat. Most people will respect that.

Totally agree with both of these posts! No need to make up stories or excuses, just be honest and direct and polite.

When I started my diet, it was right after the holidays and my boss came around with the plate of gorgeous gourmet treats. I was kind of rude and say "oh, hell no" when she asked if I wanted one. I realized right away that was the wrong thing to say and apologized. Best to have just said "no, thanks but they look/smell wonderful!".

I also agree that if they do push, you can go into further details if you wish. Maybe once they hear your story, someone will come to you for advice or they'll try to bring in healthier treats for everyone's sake.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    if they are not standing there watching you eat and you think they might judge, you can always take somethign and throw it away. you coudl act like you're taking it back to your desk and then just not eat it or get rid of the temptation by throwing it away. hopefully they don't look through your trash. not that i reccomend secrecy, but that way they don't know any different and you're not turning them down. or bring something healthy that is a treat, maybe angel food cake or something.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    if they are not standing there watching you eat and you think they might judge, you can always take somethign and throw it away. you coudl act like you're taking it back to your desk and then just not eat it or get rid of the temptation by throwing it away. hopefully they don't look through your trash. not that i reccomend secrecy, but that way they don't know any different and you're not turning them down. or bring something healthy that is a treat, maybe angel food cake or something.

Again, I don't think this is necessary. Also, if I saw someone do this and it was something I made I'd be a little hurt thinking that they didn't like it . . . or I'd think it's straight weird that they feel like they have to lie . . . it's also really wasteful.
  • cacraft
    Options
    I don't worry about what other people think. They probably envy you because you have so much control!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I, like some of the other folks who have posted, usually go the 'in training' route. I'm big into martial arts, so I'll often say I'm preparing for a tournament or some such. But I think a 5k/10k/Hell Run/Marathon/whatever-it-is-you-runner-types-do-to-annoy-me-since-I-can't-run-as-good-as-you would work just as well. Particularly if it's homemade, I don't like the unhealthy approach because that could hurt the coworkers feelings, but start talking about a carb dump crashing your blood sugar levels for your practice tonight and impacting your carefully regimented plans is generally easier to take. They might still have the holier than thou look, but it's usually not as bad. At least that's my experience.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I recently started a new job and one of the big social aspects of it is food. It's great and I can usually do well with lunches and dinners with coworkers, as I like to treat myself and am not extremely strict anymore, but there's also a designated treat table that is often filled with goodies. I hate to turn people down because I feel like I'm being rude. I'm also skinny...I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, but I don't gorge myself on unhealthy foods because I want a healthy lifestyle and I like the way I look. I feel like people look at me turning up my nose and perceive me as being a stuck up girl who thinks of herself as "holier than thou." How do you avoid this? Can you avoid this? I really don't want to give people the wrong impression of me so early on, but I'm also not going to give up my health!

I don't care about looking like the weird person and if someone asks I tell then I eat the way I do due to food allergies and intolerances.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are honest to them, you will lead by example and they might change some of their ways.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i'm not advocating doing that "taking it and throwing away" i'm just saying it's an option. it's up to you what feels best.