Strength training at the gym

Options
Hey guys

I never used to be a gym girl....... too unmotivated and self conscious to jump on the treadmill. I recently joined and seem to have gotten over my "fear" I'm loving it..... I've been able to jump on the treadmill/cross trainer/bike and have to be dragged away by my hair some times!

Having said that I having heaps of trouble getting on the weights/toning/strength training machines and doing a decent half an hour session, I usually give up at 10 minutes cos some part of my body hurts and can't push through. I really need to tone up cos I've got quite a bit more weight to lose and want to minimise as much saggy skin as I can........ help??

Replies

• BeastieGirl
    Options
    Hi,

Why don't you try free weights instead of the machines? It's much better, and just as effective if you use light weights, you just need to do more reps. There should be staff at your gym who can show you the basics.
    Good luck!
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should probably see if there gym has trainers. I know the local YMCA has some sort of Kiosk that will print a routine up for you, but a good trainer will probably be better in the long run.

Do you just go in and thinking about what exercise you want to complete or just kind of play it by ear? Realistically having goal or set plan helps a lot of people, you know what you want to achieve and can see where you are at.

Expect to be a little sore as it sounds like that weight training is new to you. On the flip-side it really shouldn't be hurting and that is why I would recommend a session or two with a personal trainer.
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply......... free weights are great, I have used them before but in a class setting where I am being pushed. Lack of self motivation..... :|
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Honestly, you should probably see if there gym has trainers. I know the local YMCA has some sort of Kiosk that will print a routine up for you, but a good trainer will probably be better in the long run.

Do you just go in and thinking about what exercise you want to complete or just kind of play it by ear? Realistically having goal or set plan helps a lot of people, you know what you want to achieve and can see where you are at.

Expect to be a little sore as it sounds like that weight training is new to you. On the flip-side it really shouldn't be hurting and that is why I would recommend a session or two with a personal trainer.

I'm pretty sure they do have trainers....... but that's just not something I can afford atm. I go in for cardio mostly, jumping on the treadmill is the easiest thing for me to do right now and I usually have some sort of plan depending on how I'm feeling. Toning isn't included in the plan though, I just dont feel like I know what I'm doing I guess.

I've done weight training before - just in a class setting (my schedule hasn't been allowing me to get to classes lately :-[) and by it hurting I mean the burning pain that comes along with weight/strength training. Just can't seem to motivate myself enough to push through a whole session of my own......
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure they do have trainers....... but that's just not something I can afford atm. I go in for cardio mostly, jumping on the treadmill is the easiest thing for me to do right now and I usually have some sort of plan depending on how I'm feeling. Toning isn't included in the plan though, I just dont feel like I know what I'm doing I guess.

I've done weight training before - just in a class setting (my schedule hasn't been allowing me to get to classes lately :-[) and by it hurting I mean the burning pain that comes along with weight/strength training. Just can't seem to motivate myself enough to push through a whole session of my own......

Most gyms offer a free session with a trainer.. I'd look into it.

If you have burning pain during weights, then take a breather. Rest for 30 second to a minute, and then start again.
    When I weight train, I do 3 sets with between 8-12 reps.. anything more then that, and I up my weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're using too much weight or a wrong posture or going to fast?
    How many sets/reps are you trying to do? How much weight are you trying to move?

Do the machines in your gym have a guide on them that tells you how to line yourself up properly? For example, in my gym, a lot of the machines have a red spot that tells you where your bending point should be - so like for the leg extension and curl machines, your knee should line up with the red dot.

Any chance you could just do one session with a personal trainer to give you a starting point and make sure your form is correct? I get that their expensive so several sessions is tough to affod but ask around to see if someone could offer help for a half hour just to give you a baseline and help you tweak your weights, etc.

The one thing you don't want to do is injure yourself by doing strength training incorrectly! Good luck!

ETA: I guess I just don't get what you mean by burning pain - muscle fatigue, sure - but if you're in pain, something is wrong.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    you should really look into a trainer. you don't want to use the machines wrong and hurt yourself.. but i feel you pain.. Day 4 and heading to the gym tonight.. I am usually the biggest in the class.. and even tho the trainer didn't kill me when i met with him on tuesday .. I am so out of shape i thought i was dying.. and the only weight we were using is the pounds i am carrying around. lol.. GL Be Blessed
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree, I do this for the same reasons no saggy skin! I suggest that the advice on the trainer is right and also free weights too, I far prefer larger compound movements such as what we call in the uk super sets- e.g. Squat and shoulder press, iso lunge and tricep kick back, deadliest clean and press. Kettle bells sessions are also good all over body toning. Good luck