Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fleece?

Replies

• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited September 2021
    I absolutely agree where we can, we should take care of our environment but those are my personal values. I believe we are only borrowing this world from future generations and taking care of it is important.

With the knowledge I have, I also understand that I’m a hypocrite because there is way more I could do, but I also like some of my creature comforts.

I had an environmental law professor in college that drove an old clunker and one of the other students pointed out an oil leak. With a shrug the professor said, “if this is your career choice, you need to be comfortable with your own hypocracies. I am.” Cop out? Maybe but also some of the wisest words I heard in my college career. …point, we all have our own knowledge and choices but in the end, we may not be able to do everything for any number of reasons/excuses. So, enjoy your truck and take comfort that you are doing more than some …because you can and it’s important to you. 😊

Sorry for derailing the conversation from the initial topic and questions asked!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    My area of the country—my lifestyle—no fleece OR wool needed or wanted. Ever. You decide for you.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,249 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How important is that new micro grid fleece in the extra-special color, to you? 😉

Less than not feeling guilty, like I'm doing something that's hurting these places I love and feel are already in trouble. I ran this inability to place an order online by a friend I hike with, who apparently has no concern whatsoever and thought I was overthinking this. Now I'm not sure (whether I'm going beyond "normal" toward "kooky." ). 🙃

It is always the “kooks” who drive social change.
  • IFJagain
    IFJagain Posts: 96 Member
    I hate getting it in a transaction... 😏
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I don't care much for fleece, just feels-preference, but I do own a couple or three things, some of which were gifts or hand-me-downs post weight loss.

I think I'm pretty close to penguinmama87, opinion-wise.

This whole question, for me, falls under my general guiding principle that we wealthy (in global/historical terms) people are unavoidably little bundles of moving harm to the world: Economic harm, ecological harm, harm to animals, harm to other humans elsewhere, and more. Further, as others have observed, it's often a matter of differing relative harms in different domains, or harms that even experts argue over which of multiple options is worse.

In this context, I feel all a trying-to-be-decent person can do is to minimize the harms they can, as best they understand them, starting with the ones that are easiest for them personally.

Since I don't much like fleece, I'm not buying any new fleece clothing (easy for me), will still accept gifts graciously, or maybe buy used.

How important is that new micro grid fleece in the extra-special color, to you? 😉

I don't necessarily disagree with the bolded, but it put me in mind of something related to this discussion so I'm going to use it as a springboard for my point - hope that's OK with you, @AnnPT77 !

I agree that humans can cause a lot of harm, but I don't think that's the full picture, and it makes me discouraged that it seems to be a default underlying, unquestioned assumption in many discussions about environmental policy and personal behaviors (and again, I'm not saying you're saying this, Ann, it just put me in mind of the idea since we were skating toward it anyway) - the idea that human existence overall has been a Big Bad Negative for the planet, and our job is to make it as if we never existed at all - that when we die, we need to have done as much as we could to have our existence erased. It's a weird kind of species-wide self-loathing I just can't get behind at all.

I do think it's important that we try to mitigate harm, including unintentional harm, to a reasonable degree based on our abilities and circumstances, but I think to focus only on the harm ignores the great capacity for genuine good, too. Humans may have caused some of these problems, but we have also come up with solutions for some of these problems and other problems that aren't a result of our own behavior individually or as a species. Again, I think in part because of my faith background, I tend to take a stewardship approach. Unlike other species, humans have the advantage of free will and the ability to think critically about our behavior. Other species can and do devastate ecosystems without any awareness of it at all. Our capacity for that is rather greater, but we can also reverse course if we choose to, and IMO that's very, very good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited September 2021
    editing...I don't want to have to come back and defend that post. :lol:
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    The aquarium where I volunteer used to use fleece jackets as uniform pieces. I have a vest and a jacket I have worn for over eight years. A couple years ago they switched to cotton blend hoodies. Not as warm. Not warm when wet. They focus on education about the marine environment and decided to switch.

I have a few other fleece jackets. They will get worn until they wear out -- maybe longer. One of them already has some holes. I probably won't buy any more. Fleece in particular seems to shed microplastic more than other synthetic fabrics. What would be great is if we would get them out of other consumer goods where they are added intentionally.

We can point to industry as the problem. That is a bit of a cop-out. Each of us has the responsibility to do all we can to contribute. Some friends fly a lot more than I do. They justify it by saying the plane is going anyway. Well only if there are passengers. When they don't fly it's two fewer passengers. When enough people don't buy a ticket then the flight will be cancelled.

The solution to single-use bottles is to quit making them. Putting them to a second use is great; just not as good.

This is where I disagree - I think each of us has the responsibility to do what is reasonable given our position, not "all we can." That might very well be what you mean depending on how you interpret the ability. But people can reasonably disagree about the best course of action given a certain set of circumstances, and it isn't easy to look at someone else's life and accurately assess what they can or cannot do.

My faith tradition has an understanding of this called "remote material cooperation." The further you are from the decision to do the wrong thing, the less culpability you have for participating in it. There are some circumstances where cooperation in some kind of evil, even rather major ones, is just...unavoidable. How and what we consume is a big part of that in today's economy. I try very hard not to be wasteful. It suits my personal strengths. But I can't personally verify the sourcing of every fabric I bring home to make sure it was produced in a sustainable way (according to whom? reasonable folks can disagree!) or with ethical labor practices. I also don't have the time or technical skill to weave or spin my own material or even sew all my own clothes, though I can mend them. If I tried, I would literally do nothing else, and it would get in the way of my primary duties in life to my family. What I can do is buy only what my family needs (and I take a pretty severe understanding of that - see my post above), repair and care for it well, and as @cmriverside mentioned I do a lot of secondhand shopping too, which extends the life of a lot of products that would otherwise be destined for garbage even with a lot of life left in them. At the same time, I don't feel a particular responsibility to rescue every single potentially useful object from that fate, because that's not my job.

It's not a cop out. It's prioritizing. Some people will be called to take up this work to effect the systemic change needed for these things. I will commend them for it! But it's not my particular calling, and I am OK with that too.

Reckon we will disagree then. Because if you know that purchasing synthetic fleece contributes to marine pollution and, ultimately might devastate the entire food web of the ocean (small organisms eat the plastic, and it can kill them directly or they can be eaten by primary predators and on up the food chain so larger organisms have their guts filled up with non-food that they can't eliminate), then you are directly culpable. There are other options. The idea that fleece is OK because it's made from recycled bottles is greenwashing. The answer is that plastic bottles should be used way more than once and discarded. Even with recycling available, most single-use plastics end up in a landfill or incinerator. If you have no idea that synthetic fleece poses a hazard to organisms we share the planet with, you aren't as culpable. But now you know.

That said, I will continue to wear the fleece I already own, so I'm culpable too. I know that landfills, specifically the one my waste goes to, takes leachate to the wastewater treatment plant to be released eventually to the river. Putting something in the landfill isn't "away."

The good thing is that there are alternative fabrics. At some point, we may find out that they pose a risk, too.

I think there's something to your faith tradition and how far away you are from the "sin." If someone buys a synthetic fleece from a second-hand shop, that fleece already exists. Someone will wear it. On the other hand, that other person might still go buy a fleece jacket, so who even knows how far away that is. I know that there won't be any more fleece coming into my ownership.

Are you speaking generally here? Because I've already stated that I don't personally buy fleece new. I actually don't care much for it anyway, so I haven't owned fleece for myself in a number of years. But relatives have gifted the kids items and I do let them wear them rather than donate them - and an item bought for my oldest kid is probably going to go through at least two and up to five kids first before it makes it out of my house, unless it's just absolutely awful. (I did give away a fleece sheet set that was given to us because I draw the line at my kids putting their faces right on it and breathing it in for 8-9 hours every night.)

I do take issue with the idea that somehow, my actions aren't enough if I don't feel guilty on top of it. I don't know that my personal feelings really have much to do with it - they might serve as a warning system for me to check my own behavior, but what I actually do is going to have to come after reasoning my way through it. I say this as a "recovering perfectionist" who used to feel paralyzed by guilt and would do absolutely nothing for fear of not doing the 100% perfect correct thing. Other people may come at this from the other end and need a little internal push, and perhaps that's what you're saying. If I'm misreading, then I apologize.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member

Less than not feeling guilty, like I'm doing something that's hurting these places I love and feel are already in trouble. I ran this inability to place an order online by a friend I hike with, who apparently has no concern whatsoever and thought I was overthinking this. Now I'm not sure (whether I'm going beyond "normal" toward "kooky." ). 🙃

No kookiness. You're not overthinking it at all. You have a conscience and the ability to read and put two and two together. You know what you value and know it's under threat.

It's a fact that human beings are damaging the environment to a horrible degree, from the Texas-sized garbage patches in the oceans and on and on. It's also a fact that most people -- and good people -- either don't care or are under stress and just want to be comfortable.

Keep thinking and using your conscience, no matter what others say or do.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited September 2021
    I absolutely agree where we can, we should take care of our environment but those are my personal values. I believe we are only borrowing this world from future generations and taking care of it is important.

With the knowledge I have, I also understand that I’m a hypocrite because there is way more I could do, but I also like some of my creature comforts.

I had an environmental law professor in college that drove an old clunker and one of the other students pointed out an oil leak. With a shrug the professor said, “if this is your career choice, you need to be comfortable with your own hypocracies. I am.” Cop out? Maybe but also some of the wisest words I heard in my college career. …point, we all have our own knowledge and choices but in the end, we may not be able to do everything for any number of reasons/excuses. So, enjoy your truck and take comfort that you are doing more than some …because you can and it’s important to you. 😊

Sorry for derailing the conversation from the initial topic and questions asked!

If he was real smart he would have pointed out the environmental cost of scrapping the old vehicle and building a new one to replace it would be greater than a few drops of oil leaked :wink: .

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    While I'm still trying to wrap my head around fleece not coming from sheep, here's something on recycling plastics that made me think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiu9GSOmt8E&t=2s

Plastic is in everything, from the clothes we wear to the water we drink. John Oliver explains how plastics are harming the planet, why recycling isn’t the solution you think it is, and why fixing the problem will be up to not just consumers, but corporations and policymakers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Here's an organization that will pull a pound of trash from the ocean for each product sold. I doubt that all of their products are made from recycled materials, but a good many of them are, and this is noted in the item descriptions. Some of the products that are not made from recycled materials are meant to replace single use items like bottles and cups.

https://www.4ocean.com/pages/about
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    This discussion reminds me of the conversation I had with the sales clerk at the ski store when buying clothing for this new adventure of mine a year ago (learning to downhill when pushing 60): “Cotton is death”. He was referring to being outside in the cold when it gets wet, believable, if not a bit scary-sounding. Thinking about my new gear, I would guess that it is all synthetic, even my socks, as wool was ruled out due to allergy reasons.

I was unaware of fleece being bad for the environment and bought my first (and only) fleece item (zip-up shirt/jacket) about a year ago. It is so soft and warm. I seriously doubt I will buy more now with this knowledge, but I’m trying to make sense with the knowledge that a lot of clothing is made from petroleum products.

As an aside, in my first career as an engineer, it was not possible for us to manufacture our plastic parts with more than 30% regrind (ground-up plastic from the runners—material which is melted to make the parts but not part of the actual parts). Regrind is just not identical to virgin material in several ways, dimensional control being foremost, at least with our applications. Although I am aware of how recycled materials can be used, I’ve always wondered where all of it is being used with so much plastic being recycled these days.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I saw an article about this yesterday, turned "Comfort Catastrophe."

https://www.gearpatrol.com/style/g37610270/fleece-jackets-microplastics/

I'm glad people care about this, it affects our children and will affect theirs too, and a lot of other living things.

I've been hand washing my fleece since learning this. Probably uses more water but I'm certain treating it a lot more gently releases less micro plastic.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Synthetic fleece? Well I hate the feel of almost any synthetic against my skin and prefer natural fibers. However, with that said I do have a couple of synthetic fleece jackets--2 different weights that go over natural clothing. I've had them for over 25 yrs. I seldom wash them because they are on top and just don't get dirty or smelly. Natural fibers are washed frequently. I often think of the trade-off--energy (wash machine) and soap.

I look at it as the plastic bag problem. A law was finally passed, here in Italy, and all plastic grocery bags must be bio-friendly and break down quickly in a landfill. People were encouraged to bring their own recyclable shopping bags from home, and I do. The "Powers That Be" have to find better alternatives and eliminate the culprit from the market. That seems to work. Most people will do what they can to help the environment if they are pointed in the right direction. If you just layer on the guilt and expect people to figure it out on their own, we won't get anywhere.
  • Tito_Tim
    Tito_Tim Posts: 72 Member
    I never cared for the feel of fleece, so had no idea what it was made of. I thought it was some kind of spun cotton to simulate wool. All I wear are quick dry clothes. The tropics are too hot for cotton or anything thicker. 😎
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I saw an article about this yesterday, turned "Comfort Catastrophe."

https://www.gearpatrol.com/style/g37610270/fleece-jackets-microplastics/

I'm glad people care about this, it affects our children and will affect theirs too, and a lot of other living things.

I've been hand washing my fleece since learning this. Probably uses more water but I'm certain treating it a lot more gently releases less micro plastic.

Jeebus! The prices on those pullovers.

I'll keep my $1 Eddie Bauer thrift store find...but I don't like it well enough to pay over $100 for a new one!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I don't do 'fast fashion', period. All of my clothes are either expensive natural materials that will last forever or from a thrift store. Best I can do with balancing conscience/comfort.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I don’t own any fleece, it always felt like styrofoam against my skin *cringe* I don’t even like handling it but sometimes can’t avoid it (some of my patients wear fleece so I occasionally have to). Over the years I’ve slowly replaced most of my everyday wardrobe with biodegradable plant/animal fibers and I like the feel and drape of those so much better so continue to move in that direction. My workout clothes are made of synthetics for better performance during exercise/sweating. They are slinky materials and I can tolerate those but once my workout is done I can’t wait to get out of those clothes as soon as I can though!