Please remind me that slow and steady wins the race....

Options
I've had exceptional success in the past with rigidly controlled dieting and exercise leading to rapid, substantial weight loss. But the problem is, when life's *kitten* hits the fan, I don't have the wherewithal to do rigid control. So I'm trundling along losing 200 pounds for the third time which I must say is tedious.

This time I am eating more food. I started north of 300lbs. Over 12 weeks I've lost 22 pounds. This... is a good thing, right? It's much slower than my previous weight loss experiences. But I figured it was time to try something new. However, the impulsive lizard brain keeps saying THIS IS SLOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

So, could y'all please tell my *kitten* lizard brain to sit down and shut up and be grateful?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Can you identify other successes to keep you motivated? Are you feeling physically better? Are you noticing any changes in energy levels? Are you feeling proud of yourself when you’ve eaten well for the day or turned down the extra cookie? I’m making a real effort this time (I’m a returning weight loser too!) to notice all of the ways I feel better living this way rather than the alternative. I don’t have any time goal and only the vaguest of weight goals. By defining my successes in other, more process-focussed, ways, I’m succeeding most days.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I relate to this right now. Dear your lizard brain and mine: have a nice warm cup of shut the *kitten* up!

I'm trying to keep my mind focused on the goal of being healthy. I'm in midlife and I want to be healthy for as long as I can, so I'm making THAT the goal, not weight loss. Of course, I still want to lose weight as part of that goal. I'm just trying to shift my mentality so that the weight loss isn't the primary focus. But, I hear you. Some days are harder than others. Hang in there.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help/encourage at all, but your post called to mind this study:

Flexible vs. Rigid Dieting in Resistance-Trained Individuals Seeking to Optimize their Physiques: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Conlin et al. (2021)

The TL;DR is that there weren't significant differences between groups after the diet phase for any variable. HOWEVER - and this is a biggie to me - after the post-diet phase, the rigid group significantly increased their fat mass (the flexible group didn't). Also, the flexible dieters gained more fat-free mass than the rigid dieters.

But, as someone else already pointed out, you're making a ton of headway pretty quickly as it is. So, IMO, tell your lizard brain to hush ;)

• sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I've kept reminding myself that slower will keep it off. The last time with weight loss it was lower calorie and lots of binges all the way down - not good. I stopped doing what I had done to lose the weight so I of course gained it back. This time making the changes I'm willing to do for always. Small changes. Enjoying the food I'm eating. When I've thought I needed a diet break I did that too, especially if I'm already quite maintaining; just for the mental break at least. My incentive is due to health so I must make the changes.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was so inspiring!! It makes sense for me, too, even though I don’t have a lot to lose.
  • kpforest25
    kpforest25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    fast off, fast on. fast on, fast off. slow is GREAT!!! congrats on taking this step again. you got this!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I’m not trying to be “unhelpful”. I’ve actually gained all the weight back twice, and this time, I’ve actually passed the 5 year mark🤞🏼

Everyone is different and I can only speak for myself. A member of MFP for almost 10 years. First 6, under a different name. Four year anniversary just passed under current name. Lost over 1/2 my body weight at age 60. I just turned 70 last week. I lost a major amount of weight once in my early 20’s, again in my early 30’s and again in my early 60’s.

A MFP member gave me great advice almost 10 years ago, “Read a lot of advice, take what you think will work for you, and adapt suggestions that will help towards your ultimate goal”. It’s working for me.

If you felt that my post was disagree with you, that was not my intention. My intention was simply to continue that sub-thread of the conversation, suggesting that in looking at the difficulty of maintaining weight loss, fast/slow might be less important than other aspects of tactics and strategies, such as learning relatively easily sustainable habits. Slow loss does IMO allow more opportunity for that habit development, but slow loss doesn't inherently guarantee it.

Those who aren't aware of it might be interested to read about the National Weight Control Registry (a long-term project studying people who have lost weight, maintained the loss long-term. (I'm not saying this research supports my speculations, or anyone else's points from this thread, nor saying it counters any of the points. I'm just saying it could be interesting for folks to read and think about.)

http://www.nwcr.ws/
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I've had exceptional success in the past with rigidly controlled dieting and exercise leading to rapid, substantial weight loss. But the problem is, when life's *kitten* hits the fan, I don't have the wherewithal to do rigid control. So I'm trundling along losing 200 pounds for the third time which I must say is tedious.

However, the impulsive lizard brain keeps saying THIS IS SLOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

So, could y'all please tell my *kitten* lizard brain to sit down and shut up and be grateful?

wm8ght7j4m5j.jpeg
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that slow and steady does win t race -
    Actually, the statistics show that, no matter how, fast/slow, or the diet you use, to lose the weight, within 5 years, the vast majority of people gain the weight back. Some gain even more back. It takes persistent effort, to keep weight off, longterm.

I agree with this.
    Consistency and effort wins the race.
    Actually it's not a race - life is going to happen anyway - that's how I look at it now.