Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fleece?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I don’t own any fleece, it always felt like styrofoam against my skin *cringe* I don’t even like handling it but sometimes can’t avoid it (some of my patients wear fleece so I occasionally have to). Over the years I’ve slowly replaced most of my everyday wardrobe with biodegradable plant/animal fibers and I like the feel and drape of those so much better so continue to move in that direction. My workout clothes are made of synthetics for better performance during exercise/sweating. They are slinky materials and I can tolerate those but once my workout is done I can’t wait to get out of those clothes as soon as I can though!

Yes - this is one reason I find the athleisure trend kind of baffling, though I guess not everything under that umbrella is actually made from those materials and just has the look of them. I like them for working out, sure, but as soon as I'm done, they're coming off. I probably dress a little less casually than is standard today but I am really comfortable because the fit and fabric work for what I'm doing and what the current weather conditions are. It seems *less* comfortable to me to wear tight synthetic pants to the grocery store than a cotton skirt. :confused:
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    There are so many things like that (fleece) -- that can be positive or negative. Concrete is one. Same with aggregates (rock for building homes/building/roads). You need them, but cement (which is an important part of concrete production) is responsible for like 10% of the world's greenhouse gasses.

Bill Gates has a start up that is trying to use solar, not fossil fuels, to fuel cement production, but it's a long way off.

People always *kitten* when there's a sand and gravel pit permit near their area. Every home, on average, has well over 2 tons of aggregate in it. And it's ungodly heavy. So, people don't want aggregate pits near their home, but they are OK with transporting it across country??

There is a lot of give and take. But your post reminded me I needed new reusable produce bags, so I just ordered some. With all the produce I buy, that's way more impact than whether or not I have fleece (not a fan, BTW).
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Two words: merino wool
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I don’t own any fleece, it always felt like styrofoam against my skin *cringe* I don’t even like handling it but sometimes can’t avoid it (some of my patients wear fleece so I occasionally have to). Over the years I’ve slowly replaced most of my everyday wardrobe with biodegradable plant/animal fibers and I like the feel and drape of those so much better so continue to move in that direction. My workout clothes are made of synthetics for better performance during exercise/sweating. They are slinky materials and I can tolerate those but once my workout is done I can’t wait to get out of those clothes as soon as I can though!

Yes - this is one reason I find the athleisure trend kind of baffling, though I guess not everything under that umbrella is actually made from those materials and just has the look of them. I like them for working out, sure, but as soon as I'm done, they're coming off. I probably dress a little less casually than is standard today but I am really comfortable because the fit and fabric work for what I'm doing and what the current weather conditions are. It seems *less* comfortable to me to wear tight synthetic pants to the grocery store than a cotton skirt. :confused:

I can comment on this. Some synthetic exercise clothing is horribly uncomfortable, some is extremely nice to wear. I have base layers that feel as pleasant against the skin as really good cashmere. Skin tight can work well if the cut is such that it doesn't limit your movement. And putting this stuff on reminds me of adventures I've had in it, giving my a warm happy feeling. 🙂
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Yeah the sort of feel of the synthetic can vary enormously. I'm in a thrifted drifit nike shirt right now and it is
    absolutely skin tight but it also flexes and moves with me in such a way that it's basically like being naked and designed to be breathable.

If I'm going to sweat OR be cold OR get wet in any regard cotton is a no-go for me. Stuff stays wet forever and leeaches heat OUT of the wearer AND chafes.

Wool. Wool and silk I own and wear a lot of as base layers, and I'll wear cotton jeans and ts around life, but my athletic gear are mostly synthetics that are designed for actual performance - and thrift store finds or the 'last a lifetime' variety. Not athleisure which tends to... not be designed for actual function but the appearance of function. Different animal.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,162 Member
    Synthetic fabrics, including fleece, have evolved a lot in the last couple decades.

I think the primary concern that many people have with fleece right now as regards microplastics is that they seem to release them with every wash. I don't know that this is true with other synthetic fabrics. I have a number of different technical fleece garments and undergarments. I bought them before this issue was known about, at least widely. I will be looking for other options when I replace them if there's better options. I rarely wash my SCUBA undergarment (for my drysuit for 45 degree water). I have an undergarment for my paddling drysuit I'd like to retire; it's "fleece," but is actually made from Rayon. That's why it's not that warm. And Rayon is made from trees. I've used that under my SCUBA drysuit for water in the upper 50s and lower 60s. There may be other options; I'd like to find out if they also shed microplastic.

Wearing wet cotton will cool you off faster than wearing nothing. In a Wilderness First Aid class, I remember learning about an experiment where, if I recall correctly, the investigators took two otherwise equivalent glasses of water and put a wet cotton cover over one. It cooled faster. If it's hot out, this can be a good thing. If it's cold out it can be deadly.

Wool has evolved a lot too. Fibers like Merino are comfortable even next to the skin, and they last a long time. They resist the stink of some synthetics, but can smell like a wet dog under some circumstances. I remember an old polypro top I had for kayaking that when I pulled off my drytop I would have to hold my breath. It was some kind of combination of ammonia and cat pee smell. Awful. I remember on one trip where we were paddling daily from a base camp (car camping, not going multi days down a river) I would hang my stuff up on a line each afternoon. I would watch vultures circle above. I figured they were thinking "I don't know what that is, but it HAS to be dead." I have two pairs of 25-year-old Merino undergarments made for cycling that I use for general purposes. Warm, but not too warm. Breathes. Only smells like wet dog, not dead things swimming in cat pee. But moths eat wool. Well, their larvae do. Synthetics don't get eaten by bugs. Rayon will dissolve in alcohol....

I've been picking up used synthetic layers from a second hand shop. They work for their intended purpose. I really would love to know if they shed microplastic. If so, I need to look for other options.
  • NorthCascades
    @mtaratoot it's my understanding from reading the Gear Patrol article and others, that all synthetics will shed some in the "right" circumstances but nothing comes close to fleece.

I didn't know this until reading the GP article (link above), but brushed synthetics address #2. I have a polyester shirt that's "peached" meaning they break the surface fibers with something like sandpaper to make the fabric softer and warmer. I just that should have been obvious, as I'm typing it out I'm wondering how it didn't occur to me before I bought the shirt. 🙃
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,289 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I have two pairs of 25-year-old Merino undergarments made for cycling that I use for general purposes. Warm, but not too warm. Breathes. Only smells like wet dog, not dead things swimming in cat pee. But moths eat wool. Well, their larvae do. Synthetics don't get eaten by bugs. Rayon will dissolve in alcohol....

I also love wool. Real wool.

Moths do eat it, this is true. But it can be repaired. Really easily, too, if you’re not too worried about how it looks.
    A little more attention to detail and it’s possible to mend wool invisibly.

As for rayon, the fact that it melts in a fire scares the be jimmy’s outta me.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

This makes me wonder if you have problems with patients wearing clothes reeking of fabric softener.

I will be so happy when we move next month to a house far enough away from others that I will never have to smell neighbors doing their laundry from within my house if the windows are open or be prevented from being in my yard because of the reek of fabric softener while their dryer is going.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited October 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This makes me wonder if you have problems with patients wearing clothes reeking of fabric softener.

I will be so happy when we move next month to a house far enough away from others that I will never have to smell neighbors doing their laundry from within my house if the windows are open or be prevented from being in my yard because of the reek of fabric softener while their dryer is going.

:o How did you know?! I hate hate hate the smell of fabric softener, it’s so gross and cloying to my senses :s I am actually allergic to some perfumes and fragrance ingredients, those scented garbage bags are the worst, my throat starts swelling before I even notice the smell. But I also suspect I might be somewhere on the autism spectrum because I do have some very specific sensory overload issues when it comes to certain textures (like fleece), smells (like fabric softener, baby corn, lavender, cigarette smoke) and certain sounds. There are other clues in my life that make me suspect this also but never been officially diagnosed so don’t know for sure.
  • NorthCascades
    It's interesting to see how some folks in here hate the way fleece wears, or feels against their skin. I used to be in that group. I found the stuff to be too warm and not breathe, I would sweat with almost any exertion and it would feel clammy, like wearing a plastic bag. It's great for going to the store on a rainy day, walking on flat ground, or something like that but not much more. Then I got a grid fleece, brushed and exquisitely soft, very breathable, quick drying, and after years I finally understood what the fuss is about.
  • MargaretYakoda
    It's interesting to see how some folks in here hate the way fleece wears, or feels against their skin. I used to be in that group. I found the stuff to be too warm and not breathe, I would sweat with almost any exertion and it would feel clammy, like wearing a plastic bag. It's great for going to the store on a rainy day, walking on flat ground, or something like that but not much more. Then I got a grid fleece, brushed and exquisitely soft, very breathable, quick drying, and after years I finally understood what the fuss is about.

The fuss over polyester fleece in my world is because it is cheap and warm.
    And I can’t fault people who wear it for those reasons.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited October 2021
    For sure, not all fleece is created equal.

In the winter, I get very cold at night. Even with 2 pairs of socks, and multiple blankets, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with ice cold, numb feet.

The only thing that warms them up is a cheap, polyester fleece blanket that I got for free at a trade show. It doesn't breathe, and is very hot...but perfect for this particular need.

I can't imagine wearing something made out of that material, though.
  • NorthCascades

I have a lot of merino base layers hanging in my closet, from SmartWool, Icebreaker, Minus33, etc. Also polyester and blended ones. For what it's worth, it's been years since I wore any of the merino ones, because they don't keep me as comfortable. I get sweaty hiking up hill, they absorb and hold too much moisture, they never dry, and the feeling against the skin of even ultrafine merino is less pleasant than the poly stuff.

For context, in sitting here writing this in a cashmere sweater. Soft clothes delight me.
  • MargaretYakoda

I have a lot of merino base layers hanging in my closet, from SmartWool, Icebreaker, Minus33, etc. Also polyester and blended ones. For what it's worth, it's been years since I wore any of the merino ones, because they don't keep me as comfortable. I get sweaty hiking up hill, they absorb and hold too much moisture, they never dry, and the feeling against the skin of even ultrafine merino is less pleasant than the poly stuff.

For context, in sitting here writing this in a cashmere sweater. Soft clothes delight me.

I think, once I hit my goal weight, I want a cashmere sweater.
  • NorthCascades

My favorite actually came from Goodwill. It was $20 which is a lot for them, but looked like it had never been worn, and it turns out if I could find that one brand new it would have been $400. So I can't recommend thrift stores enough.

The other great thing about thrift store cashmere is you don't mind beating it up. It's getting cold, I need to plant some spring bulbs soon, stuff like that.

Cashmere sheds more than Polar fleece, but it's shedding goat hair, which fully breaks down.
  • more_oomph
    more_oomph Posts: 112 Member
    I'm boycotting it

all this time I thought fleece was just a cotton sweater
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I feel like there’s a class aspect in these fads to cancel certain fabrics. I prefer merino wool base layers but only only one because I can’t afford it - recently got one on sale. For the price of one decent merino base layer I could buy six fleece ones. It’s definitely a first world privilege to afford to be outraged about other people not buying luxury fibers.
  • NorthCascades
    I only see one post in this entire thread that anybody could think had any outrage behind it...
  • MargaretYakoda

My favorite actually came from Goodwill. It was $20 which is a lot for them, but looked like it had never been worn, and it turns out if I could find that one brand new it would have been $400. So I can't recommend thrift stores enough.

The other great thing about thrift store cashmere is you don't mind beating it up. It's getting cold, I need to plant some spring bulbs soon, stuff like that.

Cashmere sheds more than Polar fleece, but it's shedding goat hair, which fully breaks down.

I know sometimes who collects second hand cashmere items, rehabilitates them, and holds a trunk sale every other year or so. I think I’ll message them in a few months.