Any ladies out there that are Vegan and have PCOS?

Options
Hi,

I am trying my luck at finding some ladies who are vegan that have PCOS. I am having a hard time losing weight and I think the biggest problem is that I need to exercise more, and really keep a tight eye on carbs.

Is there any of you out there that has found success with being vegan and losing weight? If so, what are you doing?

I know I can have success as a vegan and I am also vegan for health reasons but I still struggle to lose weight. When I go raw, I lose weight really fast but I am not ready to go all raw again like I have done before.

Thanks,
T

Replies

• kimthomasandaimee
    Options
    I am not vegan however I have had wonderful successes doing ten day brown rice fasts.
    I do one every six months.
  • docsharp
    docsharp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never heard of that before so you fast from Brown rice? Or eat only Brown Rice?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS?
  • poseyboo
    Options
    Hi docsharp,

I don't have PCOS but I can say that I have had much success with weight loss switching to a vegan based diet. I was vegetarian for years but about 2 months ago I completely let go of all dairy, as well as eggs and noticed a drop in my weight. I can't say for sure what exactly is doing it, but I can say that I started incorporating lot's of grains (quinoa, rice, oats) and more vegetables. I don't consume near as much fruit as I used to, and I exercise about 4 times a week. I've been sort of moving towards a more macrobiotic diet, and I think it's helping. Check out "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone, that's how I learned about the macrobiotic diet.
  • docsharp
    Options
    Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome a hormonal issue that may cause Cyst to form on our ovaries. I get cyst on my ovaries but since I have stop eating meat I don't have this problem as much. I know that Sugar, processed carbs, dairy and even other stuff can affect my ability to lose weight.

This is just short description of the problem but know it can happen in women who are thin and some women are overweight. I am overweight with PCOS.
  • docsharp
    Options
    Hi,

I have been vegan since June and had lost 13lbs but I know lately have included more carbs and have gained. I guess it is the PCOS that is giving me the difficulties. I will check out the Macrobiotic version... I have glanced at Alicia's book but haven't read the entire book

Congrats on your weight loss!!!
    Hi docsharp,

I don't have PCOS but I can say that I have had much success with weight loss switching to a vegan based diet. I was vegetarian for years but about 2 months ago I completely let go of all dairy, as well as eggs and noticed a drop in my weight. I can't say for sure what exactly is doing it, but I can say that I started incorporating lot's of grains (quinoa, rice, oats) and more vegetables. I don't consume near as much fruit as I used to, and I exercise about 4 times a week. I've been sort of moving towards a more macrobiotic diet, and I think it's helping. Check out "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone, that's how I learned about the macrobiotic diet.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    On June 12, after watching the movie, "Forks Over Knives" I switched to a low-fat (almost NO fat) whole foods plant-based diet, which is essentially vegan. I was losing weight here at MFP before that and losing about a pound a week. After the switch, my weight loss rate doubled. I notice, regardless of calorie intake, if I exceed my fat goal by much, my weight loss rate slows down.

This diet really works for me, but I have to watch my fat intake. That's nicer than having to count calories, because I can pretty much eat all the healthy food I want. I eat mostly carbs and most of those are fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains.
  • docsharp
    Options
    Everyone is having so much success what am I doing wrong... lol.

I think I have the most success when I eat no processed carbs, I'll try this next week to not eat any processed carbs and no eating out at restaurants.

Congrats on your weight loss Pangui
    On June 12, after watching the movie, "Forks Over Knives" I switched to a low-fat (almost NO fat) whole foods plant-based diet, which is essentially vegan. I was losing weight here at MFP before that and losing about a pound a week. After the switch, my weight loss rate doubled. I notice, regardless of calorie intake, if I exceed my fat goal by much, my weight loss rate slows down.

This diet really works for me, but I have to watch my fat intake. That's nicer than having to count calories, because I can pretty much eat all the healthy food I want. I eat mostly carbs and most of those are fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains.
  • docsharp
    Options
    bumping this!!!
  • kimthomasandaimee
    Options
    Yes I eat nothing but basmati steamed brown rice for ten days.
    You an learn more about it in the book 'You are all Sanpaku' by George Ohsawa.
    He is the founder of Macrobiotic Principles.
  • docsharp
    Options
    Oh ok, thank you!