GAIN weight when working out. LOSE when not.

Options
I have an issue here. I started running 3 times a week. I did this for 4 days (so a week and a day). In that week I GAINED 8 pounds. EIGHT! And since then (a week) I have LOST 4 of the 8. I havent worked out this whole week. This isnt the first time Ive gained when I work out and lost when I dont work out. WTH?

Replies

• fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    oddly, it happens to me too. when i exercise i gain weight or don't lose weight but when i don't exercise I lose just fine. i think it has something to do w/ muscles retaining water.. I've lowered my impact and only work out 3-4 days per week now for no more than 45 min
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Happens sometimes to me too :-(
    I'd love to know why!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain some weight when starting a new workout. Usually happens for the first couple weeks. You body starts retaining more fluid, especially if you don't drink enough water. It's also stores it to help repair muscles.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Same here! Was working out every day and gained 6 pounds! Quit cold turkey and lost em all. Started at the gym yesterday and getting nervous about it.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'll bet you were sore, weren't you? Well that soreness is your muscle tissue having been 'damaged' - in a good way. During the process of rebuilding, and making you stronger, your body has a mechanism (just like any other swelling) that pulls liquid into the cells of that damaged muscle fiber...increasing your weight.

After an instense workout, it will not be out of the ordinary for me to gain 4-6 pounds of water weight, and then it will slowly subside. You may hear about the 'gaining muscle' theory. But, that doesn't account for short-term issues like this. This is just your body reacting to the new stresses you're putting on it...it's a good thing...really!

EDIT: Spelling
  • edejesus2011
    Options
    I know this sounds so cliche, but when you work out, you are also building muscle which weighs more. i have heard from alot of people on here to just focus on your inches lost and not the number on the scale.

Good luck to you!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain some weight when starting a new workout. Usually happens for the first couple weeks. You body starts retaining more fluid, especially if you don't drink enough water. It's also stores it to help repair muscles.

And this weight is 100% water weight. When you begin a workout program or increase intensity your muscles take a beating (good for muscle strengthening) to protect themselves they store water, which also aids in recovery. When your body gets use to the exercise you are doing the muscles will shed the water. This can take days or weeks depending on how fast your body adapts.
  • brendant1
    brendant1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    maybe as muscle is heaver than fat your building up muscle with exercise. wouldn't have though running would do it but certainly weights can put it on. I did the Body For Life and the program doesn't worry about weight just percentage body fat.
  • jackalope28
    jackalope28 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You know, it totally happens to me too, and it is can be SO discouraging at first.... until you see your shape getting more toned, and you feel better on the inside.

I restarted a form of very athletic yoga 3 weeks ago and sure enough, my weight is "up" but I am telling you, I feel long and lean and I can see my body reshaping even though the scale is "up".

The scale is one indicator, but measurements and how you feel are indicators too! Hang in there, and know you are doing the right thing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    maybe as muscle is heaver than fat your building up muscle with exercise. wouldn't have though running would do it but certainly weights can put it on. I did the Body For Life and the program doesn't worry about weight just percentage body fat.

It would most likely take close to a year to build that much muscle and it would not happen on a caloric deficit.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    It puzzled me as well when I first added back my daily walk routine. I "gained" a couple of pounds after a 8-mile fast walk to the city. Then I did some research and found out this is quite normal and they are not real "gain". Focus on the long run and you will be fine.
  • albayin
    Options

It would most likely take close to a year to build that much muscle and it would not happen on a caloric deficit.
    Right. I don't think 4 days is enough to build up that much muscle. I think it's just how our body responds to a sudden workout and started retaining water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds so cliche, but when you work out, you are also building muscle which weighs more. i have heard from alot of people on here to just focus on your inches lost and not the number on the scale.

Good luck to you!
    I'll elaborate. You break down muscle when you work out. You rebuild at rest. If you are on calorie deficit, you're more than likely not building muscle, but stressing it to retain it.
  • albayin
    Options

Good luck to you!
    I'll elaborate. You break down muscle when you work out. You rebuild at rest. If you are on calorie deficit, you're more than likely not building muscle, but stressing it to retain it.
    Ditto on this. I think this one makes more sense.
    Either I misunderstand or lots of people do believe exercise = immediate muscle gain. This simple isn't true.
  • TahanyE
    Options
    So would it be best to increase my water intake? I already drink a lot of water and Im not sure how much more I can add in. Its so discouraging.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I feel you, it really is discouraging. I know it's better to focus on how your body is changing rather than scale weight, but from past experience I know I can be both toned AND light weight and sometimes it feels like working out is actually slowing down my progress when the numbers go up or stay the same for a while during times I'm watching my food and making an effort to get in shape the most!

Hang in there and don't let the scale discouragement prevent you from getting in your best shape. It may take longer to reach the weight you're aiming for, but when your metabolism is kicking from all that good muscle and it's time to go buy another size down the number won't mean quite as much. Good luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You definitely aren't going to gain muscle from running. It's water weight. (assuming you were eating to reach MFP's target deficit)

Do you want to lose weight or lose fat?