Working out, at/under calories and still gaining weight

Options
Hey everyone,

I have been tracking my food for the last few weeks, and gotten back in the gym. After a rocky start tracking my food for the first few days, I seem to have gotten it down: counting items, measuring and weighing food for accuracy. In the past 2 weeks, I have consistently been at or under my caloric allotment for the day. I am also doing 50ish minute spin and body pump classes 2-3 times per week (approx 4-6 hours of exercise per week). I don't track steps, so that's just bonus exercise :)

Here is an example of what I have noticed this week:
Monday- Spin and Body Pump- 1689 calories under- .5 lb down the next morning
Tuesday- rest- 298 calories under- 4 lbs up this morning.

Overall, I am up about 6 lbs since tracking and getting back in the gym. However, my clothes fit better, and someone asked me if I had lost weight on Sunday.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I need to get that number on the scale down.

Replies

• Klgrey
    Klgrey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a long confusing road that I am still trying to navigate.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Your daily weight will jump by a few pounds due to many factors. But, if you keep your eating within bounds the trend will go down over time. It's a slow process and it requires patience.

Weigh every morning after toilet; watch the trend over many days.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? How did you determine that amount? Why are you eating under? And how far under? Are you tracking your calories burned during exercise? How? Do you use something like a Garmin or a SmartWatch or are you using an online calculator? There are so many things to factor in here. And as for your actual weigh-ins, the overall trend is what is most important. Weigh yourself less often, maybe only once per week, and then follow the trend instead of the actual numbers. As long as over time your weight is going down, that is all that matters.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily if that works for you - but compare your weight either weekly or monthly. If comparing data points weekly, you need several to be able to form a trend. If you compare your weight now to your weight at the same point in your previous cycle (I am assuming you are female) then that will help to alleviate water weight fluctuations from TOM/hormones/ovulation.
  • HickGurl73
    HickGurl73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great Job Klgrey!
    This was very informative everyone. Thanks for sharing! ;)
  • paulberardi1962
    paulberardi1962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Klgrey, I appreciate your question because I have the same issue and the replies provide great info.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if you are shrinking in size, does it really matter what the scales say? If you looked like a fitness model and the scales said 400 pounds - would it bother you?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Fat loss is not a linear process. Have patience. Your clothes fit better and someone asked you if you lost weight. Does it matter as much what the scale says?

I also want to add that lately I pay more attention to my body fat than my scale weight. IMO, my scale weight does not bother me as long as my body fat stays at a healthy number. For me, I shoot for 12-15%. For women it will be higher...