Weight training calories

Options
I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times, but didn't see a search option to look for it.

I workout 5 days per week for 75-90 mins. I normally lift for 60min. of that time. When I enter the exercises that I do, it doesn't give me calorie credit like it does when you enter cardio. Is there a reason for this? I know that I'm burning around 300 cals during my weight training so should I count this or not?

Replies

• jeromie11
    Options
    I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times, but didn't see a search option to look for it.

I workout 5 days per week for 75-90 mins. I normally lift for 60min. of that time. When I enter the exercises that I do, it doesn't give me calorie credit like it does when you enter cardio. Is there a reason for this? I know that I'm burning around 300 cals during my weight training so should I count this or not?
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    record it under the Cardiovascular setting and select "strength training" It will pop up and you input how many minutes you spent doing this. It will give you credit for the calories burned.:smile::smile:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    record it under the Cardiovascular setting and select "strength training" It will pop up and you input how many minutes you spent doing this. It will give you credit for the calories burned.:smile::smile:

I agree with this as well, but warning, it's very inaccurate! I burn with my HMR 3 to 4 times what the site suggests, so you'll have to enter your own numbers.
  • jeromie11
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! It gives me 250 cals burned for 60 min. of strength training. I've read that you burn from 300-500 depending on how hard you workout. I just customized my own setting that will give me credit for 300. I think I'm still underestimating it, but that will only help.

Where's the best place to get a HMR?
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm glad I ended up seeing this! I haven't been recording the strength training calories for about 2 weeks because I didn't know how!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! It gives me 250 cals burned for 60 min. of strength training. I've read that you burn from 300-500 depending on how hard you workout. I just customized my own setting that will give me credit for 300. I think I'm still underestimating it, but that will only help.

I got mine at Best Buy...online.
  • brokish2001
    Options
    Another great HRM is a Polar F11. You can actually download all your sessions online to www.polarpersonaltrainer.com and it will give you a weekly total. It's great to print out and give to your trainer so they know how to better guide you. Most gyms will have cardio equipment that is Polar linked, which means it will sense your heart rate from the strap you wear around your chest and display that on the screen of the treadmil/elliptical/bike. I highly recommend it!!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help you out, I bought mine at canadian tire....99.00 CA, it'sthe polar F6 and I LOVE IT! :laugh: , counts calories, steps, has fat burning options, tracks distance, pretty much does it all! has the chest strap, as well as one for the wrist.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling us it needs to go under cardio. On the days I lift I wasn't giving myself any extra calories for it and it makes me very hungry. :smile:
  • oodesireoo
    Options
    ok.. so how about doing abs? i know im burning calories but i dont know where or how to input it coz its under strength training.. would i just consider it that?
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Buy.com has this one on sale for $29.99 & free shipping. It's fairly inexpensive, but all I've heard it's great - I just bought one: Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ok.. so how about doing abs? i know im burning calories but i dont know where or how to input it coz its under strength training.. would i just consider it that?

Maybe calisthenics - vigourous (it includes situps, pushups, jumping jacks, etc.)
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM (can be purchased from just about anyplace selling electronics and/or sporting goods equip) and I'm very surprised that you say you "know you burn 300 cals." How do you know this? I don't burn nearly that many just from strength training alone. Without a HRM you will never get an accurate assessment of what you're really burning - the website databases and exercise machines estimate WAYYYY higher than you're actually burning! Maybe you already know this, but I just thought I'd let you know. :smile:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter