Veg items high in protein

Options
Can you suggest some of high protein veg food items?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Can you suggest some of high protein veg food items?

Tofu, tempeh, seitan, legumes (beans, peas, etc.), for starters.

For other options:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Scroll past most of the meaty/fishy stuff at the top of the linked spreadsheet, and you'll find veg protein sources.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds
  • dharbolt
    dharbolt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lentils and chick peas
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Soy beans in its various forms - raw, milk or tofu (fresh or dried).
  • Bear34345
    Bear34345 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    brocolli and spinach?
  • ravi_tiwari_786
    ravi_tiwari_786 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    tofu, almonds, lentils and orgain protein powder.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    There really isn't any "high" protein per sae when we compare calories per serving. There is a couple protein powders(Pea isolate source being the highest I believe) that include sufficient Leucine that are vegetarian that would be in the area of "high". Tufu & Legume are the two sources in the "food category" that carry a higher protein content compared to calorie intake.

I'm going off the top of my head here, but I pretty confident.
  • IJP2019
    IJP2019 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Seitan (vital wheat gluten) has the highest protein to calorie ratio….the only down side is it is not a complete protein, but I never eat seitan on its own. i always eat it with something that compliments to make the meal complete.

Here a decent recipe that I used a couple of weeks ago…

https://zardyplants.com/recipes/vegan-pepperoni/?fbclid=IwAR2jvpEaXH7bAqNltFxFJLlpgQ-qPX7jEFVPsDACATHevb7wiEqHtzQH5iw#Skip
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    if dairy is an option (don't know if you are vegetarian or vegan), then greek yogurt is high protein per calorie. Also, protein-added milk is commonly available (and easily added to coffee/tea/cereal/oatmeal/..).
  • sql_injection_attack
    Options
    Textured Vegetable Protein is probably the best. Tofu and Tempeh are both vegan and soy bean products as well. Other good ones are lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes.

All of these are complete proteins - all plants are complete proteins - on their own but soy products (TVP, Tofu, and Tempeh) are the only ones with the ideal protein profile. Other legumes are best complimented with whole grains to create an ideal protein profile (rice, bread, other grains). You don't need a "complete" protein with every meal. Just have a cup of rice or oatmeal every day with one of your meals and you'll be good - honestly, you don't even need to do that but if the "complete" protein thing worries you this is all you have to do.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Quinoa? It's also a complete protein
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I also take an algae based Spirulina and Chlorella supplement that's really high in amino acids (and protein). I believe Spirulina is 75% protein. I don't really take it for the aminos, it just has some really great nutritional benefits.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Explore Cuisine makes an edamame/spirulina pasta. It's high in protein (24g protein/190 calories for 2oz/56g dry). It's one of the chewy kind of non-wheat pastas, but I like it in Asian-style dishes.

I don't know if there are any pastas with just spirulina; haven't seen in the stores here.