Frustrated

Options
I am getting frusterated! I know I have only done MFP for a week but at first I lost 1.6lbs and now I am right back at 181 :angry: I have added in 35-45 mins of walking and crunches to my daily work out and still nothing. I know I can't expect miricles overnight but I would have like to have seen something positive come from it. I guess I just feel like I am trying harder than ever to stay on track and lose weight the right way and but it doesnt seem like anything is happening. Help

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    it's most likely water retention. and it's better you don't train abs every day, they are a muscle and should prob not be trained more then every other day max
  • hannahtk
    Options
    Keep going! I notice that when I start any sort of new plan (eating fewer calories / working out more / etc.) it takes at least three weeks to start seeing results. The good news is that they say it takes about three weeks of doing the same thing to make it a routine. Once you start seeing results it will be that much easier to keep going because your body is already getting used to it!

Also -- one thing that helped me was to force myself to walk at least three times a day. I have a dog, which makes it easier, but I walk 15 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes at lunch at about 2 hours at night. If anything it gets me out of the house (prevents me from unnecessary snacking!) and gets me moving :).
  • melissabee31
    Options
    Weight loss is a slow process. Some weeks go up and some weeks go down. If you freak out every time you gain or lose, you are setting yourself up for failure. Weight loss is not magic and does not happen overnight. Try to stress less about the number on the scale and focus on your efforts. You're trying, right? You're here. Applaud yourself for that.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    this is a LIFESTYLE change. Not a one week makeover. It's going to take a while, you're going to have to be patient. You didn't get to 181 in one week did you?
    Stop obsessing, will only make yourself miserable & want to give up. Plan your menu & exercise, stick with it and keep busy- keep your mind occupied with other things - volunteer or something and the time will pass quickly
  • runninggirl262
    runninggirl262 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    After reviewing your food diary it seems like maybe sodium may be an issue. It is not listed in the breakdown, but looking at the types of food, they tend to be higher in sodium. Either reduce the sodium or drink lots more water to offset the foods you enjoy eating.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    What I am about to say may seem a little blunt, but you're asking for help so I'm trying to give you some insight. I'm not being judgmental because we all start from different places and each of us is different in what it takes for us to lose weight.

I took a quick look at your diary. You are either not eating enough or going over on your calories each day. I don't know how you were eating before but a perpetual cycle of under-eating most days and then overeating one or two days per week can really impact your ability to lose weight. Your body thinks it's being starved and so the days you overeat it grabs and holds on to every calorie and stores it. Focus on eating 1200 calories PLUS at least half of the calories you burn in exercise each and every day.

You'll also want to watch your sodium intake. You aren't tracking it but some of the foods I saw are high in sodium and will make you retain water. As an example, your Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich has 760 mg of sodium and your soup has 800 mg. I'd suggest switching your diary so you're watching your sodium for awhile so you can really see the impact of the food choices you're making.

Beer. I love beer! Michelob Ultra is a great choice when you're trying to watch your carbs or calories but 3 of them per night will really impact your ability to lose weight. Your body burns the calories from alcohol first and then starts on the rest of what you ate later. If you're serious about losing some weight, you'll want to give up most of your beer and save it for one night per week. Or at the very least, cut it down to one bottle per night.

I hope these things help you!
  • amandaj27
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here! Your mindset is #1 on your quest to lose weight! Keep it positive... You can do it! #2 is your diet... If your not eating the right things your body isn't getting the fuel it needs to function correctly. I like what the woman said about trying though... As long as your trying your absolute best don't stress so much about numbers. It takes time. :)
  • Alogwood
    Alogwood Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the extra info a lot of what everyone has written about I didnt know or didnt notice before. I had no idea that my sodium intake was so high, so I added that to my tracker and am planning on adjusting my dietary intake as needed. Also yes it is true the evening beers need to go, I again didnt pay attention to the amount or the damage it could do.

I am just learning as this is the first time I have ever tried to lose weight the correct way ( I have tried many fad and starvation diets), and the numbers, amounts and ins and outs are all new to me so I appreciate all that I can learn to make this journey easier.

Thanks
    Allie
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the extra info a lot of what everyone has written about I didnt know or didnt notice before. I had no idea that my sodium intake was so high, so I added that to my tracker and am planning on adjusting my dietary intake as needed. Also yes it is true the evening beers need to go, I again didnt pay attention to the amount or the damage it could do.

I am just learning as this is the first time I have ever tried to lose weight the correct way ( I have tried many fad and starvation diets), and the numbers, amounts and ins and outs are all new to me so I appreciate all that I can learn to make this journey easier.

Thanks
    Allie
    I think the best thing is to take it slow. Don't try to change too much, too quickly, or you're more likely to get overwhelmed and quit. I know when I start something new I have a tendency to jump in with both feet and then it gets old quickly, especially if I'm not getting positive feedback, like seeing the numbers on the scale start to drop.

You now have a good place from which to start making some changes. Hopefully, they'll start to give you some results. Keep checking the message boards when you have questions, or just to get new ideas. There are a LOT of old posts where people have probably already asked the same questions you have, so do some searches. If you don't find what you need, post again or ask your friends here. This is a great place to get support and advice.
  • dawn3m
    Options
    I am with you, I started a boot camp 6 weeks ago, and so far I have only lost 2 lbs, and I am pretty much starving myself, and running on my 2 days off