Bikram Yoga - calories burned?

Options
Hi All,
i have recently tried Bikram Yoga and loved it (Bikram is the yoga in the hot room)
My question to you all....do any of you know how many calories you burn in the class (it runs for 90min)

your help would really be appreciated!!

Thanks
Jamie :)

Replies

• scy7
    scy7 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jamie,
    I was just trying to calculate this for myself. You can google it - and depending on your weight and the fact that it's a 90 min. class, it will give you the answer. I am 150 lbs, and I burn 1,000 or more calories per class. (I was happy to find that out ;)
    - stephany
    (scy7)
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was doing a 70 minute class for a few months. My instructor told us between 400-600 cals burned per session depending on weight. I never wore my heart rate monitor while doing it but I'd say it's on the up side of 600 cals. It's a lot of work!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I did a Bikram class a few weeks ago and wore my HRM.

I am 5.2 and weigh 149 lbs in the 90 minute class I burned 463 calories.

K
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 154 lbs, I usually burn 6-700 cals for a 1 hr class of hot yoga!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories burned during bikram yoga are similar to those burned doing regular yoga doing the same poses in regular yoga. The heat does not significantly add to the caloric burn. Anyone using an HRM in bikram yoga will significantly overestimate calorie burn because, while HR increases because of thermal stress, oxygen uptake (and thus calorie burn) does not. HRMs cannot be used to estimate calories in bikram yoga.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Calories burned during bikram yoga are similar to those burned doing regular yoga doing the same poses in regular yoga. The heat does not significantly add to the caloric burn. Anyone using an HRM in bikram yoga will significantly overestimate calorie burn because, while HR increases because of thermal stress, oxygen uptake (and thus calorie burn) does not. HRMs cannot be used to estimate calories in bikram yoga.

so glad you explained that. =0) you are so knowledgable. I burn the same amount in hot yoga as I do in regular yoga. I burn a bit more in yoga sculpt since we are using weights while holding poses. But it's not a significant amount.
  • bonita862
    Options
    Id really like some facts on this. =(
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

See my remarks above.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

If you are questioning Azdak's logic - think of it this way - do you burn more calories when you run in the summer than in the winter?
  • jhodge2010
    Options
    I took my first Bikram class yesterday. I am 5'7" 177 lbs and burned 1204 cals in 90 minutes :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i log it as hatha yoga from the mfp database.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I dont believe those websites that claim bikram burns 1000cals a session. You are just sweating more, not working harder than regular yoga.
    On the tredmill or elliptical with my heartrate at 80-85% I only burn about 300 in 30min. My heartrate is nowhere near that for the full 90min of bikram class, maybe only during certain poses.
    I wore my BodyBugg to a few classes and only burned about 250-300, and so did my friend who also has a bodybugg.
    I think the high calorie burn suggested on some sites is just a bunch of hype to promote bikram. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bikram, even if I dont burn 1000+cals :love:
  • bonita862
    Options
    I tried to do a 30 day Bikram yoga challage. By day 16 people told me i had lost so much freakin weight that i looked sick.
    The A word sick.

I am a gym junkie training 5 days a week burning 600 - 1000 calories a session doing both weight training and cardio.

If it truley only burns around 300 calories and my diet didnt change .. then how did i loose so much weight?
    I kept myself hydrated drinking around 3 litres of water a day and my diet stayed the same.

Something is missing.

Perhaps bikram yoga raises your BMR like weight lifting for many hours after.
    Perhaps it does wonders for your metabolism and thyroid.

Bikram yoga kept my muscles and stripped the fat.

Whatever the case .. Bikram yoga kicks butt!!