Protein

I’m having a lot of trouble getting all my protein in a day does anybody have any go to protein snacks that help add up throughout the day?

Replies

• CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Nuts, hard boiled eggs, avocados, greek yogurt... I usually start my day with overnight oats and chia seeds.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Nuts, hard boiled eggs, avocados, greek yogurt... I usually start my day with overnight oats and chia seeds.

Avocados and nuts are not good protein sources, as most of their calories come from fat.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    If you can't get it easily in food, then protein powder like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is good value. One serving equates to about $0.75 for 25g, plus a few more g's protein if you're mixing with milk. Or you can get pre-made drinks like Premier Protein from Costco which have about 30 calories each. They have some good flavors. I'm currently on Cafe Latte which is very nice.

How much is your target, in terms of grams per pound bodyweight?
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    My go to's: Turkey, skim-milk mozzarella cheese sticks, Greek yogurt, plain ole' glass of milk.

(Not helpful if you are vegetarian. I love dairy!)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I start my day with coffee and 1/4 c unsweet soymilk blended with 1tbs protein powder and whatever breakfast I want. Sometimes it's waffles(I mix 2 tbs protein powder into the batter) with Greek yogurt and berries or sometimes scrambled eggs. I was eating Kay's naturals protein snacks, but started to get tummy aches. I switched to a low-fat cheese stick wrapped in ham and some sliced apple. I like nugo or pure protein bars for a no prep needed snack. Cottage cheese is also high in protein. You can add nutritional yeast to lots of dishes for added vegetarian protein.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited October 2021
    I have been high protein simply for satiety, and am now upping my protein even more at suggestion of dietician and trainer, so I feel ya.

My main go to is chicken breast and lean beef and pork cuts. I usually grill a couple extra chicken breasts with our Sunday night steaks. Leftover steak slices go in lunchtime salads. The chicken breast I chop for salads or wraps. I can have a nice wrap in a low carb tortilla with six ounces of chicken, some zero cal BBQ sauce or mayo, a handful of greens a sliced cherry tomatoes, for about 200 calories.

Or I’ll throw a lean meat in a crockpot with taco seasoning, and use the leftovers on a salad with some salsa, and maybe a sprinkle of black beans.

I’ve been adding roast edamame to my salads. I love the crunch and the light saltiness and they are high in protein.

Chicken sausages, deli meats, chaffles (Google those), cottage cheese with fruit or in pancakes or smoothies, Greek yogurt with sugar free pudding mix or in smoothies, an extra egg or liquid eggs whites in pancakes.

I’ve just started experimenting with protein powder myself, adding plain unflavored whey powder to pancake batter, and trying to come up with a good simply smoothie that tastes like a freaking dessert, and not milk of magnesia like the first attempt.

I’ve also been adding back some baked goods and breads, and have been pleasantly surprised that simple old flour can sneak in a few unexpected grams of protein.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    First let's figure if you need more protein. What is your current target...?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Yogurt with protein powder is a big protein boost and really satisfying. It’s my go-to breakfast and snack when I’m busy, make up a bunch in the fridge in mason jars for grab-and-go’s. Protein powder in oatmeal is another of my favorites. (I realize oats don’t have protein, but I love them😉)

Egg whites have a lot of protein with little else, so relatively low cal, but it’s easier to absorb with some fat.

Just having leftover chicken or other meats to snack on can help, have it portioned out by the ounce or whatever to help track. It’s pretty easy to cook an extra portion with dinner if you need to.