NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN- HELP

Options
Ok. I have been down this road (so many times) but due to some health issues, I am serious this time. I've lost almost 7 lbs. so far but I know to boost the weight loss, exercise is important. I have done MyFitnessPal before with some results but never even clicked on the exercise tab. I need some help getting started. I have always heard that to lose weight, cardio is most important but is that really true? Do I need to add some weight training? How often? What exercises? How much to start with? Just stick to the cardio routine? What is a cardio routine? :) I need something that isn't brutal to begin with because I know me and if its awful, I wont stick to it. Just being honest here. Please help me! I need to make this work.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Jamaica113
    Jamaica113 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! How do I begin with strength/resistance? The company I work for has a gym I can go to anytime, but at this point, I would be one of those people that gets posted on tictok for doing something stupid with the weights :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You could start with a body weight program. I used the You Are Your Own Gym app on my phone and it is great. It is a progressive program and challenging as heck. As for cardio, I do it so that I can do other things in my life that require stamina, but I won't do anything I don't like or won't do for a long time. I found a water fitness class that was surprisingly tough, but fun. Then I tried swimming laps (what a joke I was-thank god TikTok wasn't around, or someone could have caught me looking ridiculous). Gradually, I got better at swimming laps and ended up doing it 4-6 times/week. I also take walks because I want something low impact. I also have a rowing machine at home which really kicks my *kitten*, but I enjoy it. Figure out what you like and do that :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Jamaica113 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! How do I begin with strength/resistance? The company I work for has a gym I can go to anytime, but at this point, I would be one of those people that gets posted on tictok for doing something stupid with the weights :)

There is a list here of strength programs recommended by other MFP-ers:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(Even though the title says "lifting", it does include some bodyweight programs.)

Some/many of those programs come in a format (like a book, or website with videos) that has instructions for proper form. With freeweight programs, a generic useful thing can be to practice the form with very light weight at first, then strive to hold onto that form as you add weight gradually. Some beginner programs are explicitly structured that way.

There are also many YouTube videos illustrating proper form for common exercises. You'd want to look for videos by long-experienced trainers, degreed physical therapists, or people with similar kinds of credentials (vs. the trendy but less educated "wannabe influencer" types).

You can also videotape your own practice, and compare to video examples - sometimes it's easier to see form issues that way, vs. just in a mirror. There's also a form check thread here (started by an experienced trainer) where you can ask for feedback:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756076/barbell-form-check-e-g-squats-deadlift-benching-presses/p1

If you can afford a few sessions with a well-credentialed, experienced personal trainer, that would be another way to learn form, but that is expensive. In some places, at some times, there have also been group classes that focused on teaching form for basic strength exercises. (I took one, taught by a knowledgeable, experienced, successful power lifter). Most group strength classes, though, are not this - way too many of them are large groups doing fast-paced exercises with weights, with limited supervision/leadership from a teacher who may not be all that well-credentialed in the first place. Buyer beware!

Truly, don't let this type of exercise intimidate you: There are ways to get into it that are manageable.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose, and what is your current estimated BMI? You don't have to answer. If you have to lose a lot, I'd say focus first on the cardio. That will give you a lot of room to have a large calorie deficit while still getting decent nutrition. Cardio can easily burn double the amount of calories per hour as resistance training. However, resistance training will help preserve and build muscle, along with an increased amount of protein.

So e.g. if your maintenance is 1800 cals, and you do an extra 500 at the gym five times a week, you could consume 1700 per day and be on track to lose about a pound a week. Without the exercise, you'd need to drop to 1300 per day for the same result, which is quite low.

If you're ready for resistance training, what are your goals?
  • Jamaica113
    Jamaica113 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I do have quite a bit to lose and this has given me a place to start. I really appreciate the feedback.

Now, lets do the damn thing!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP - The knowledgeable folks who have responded have given you a great place to start. I'd simply add that while weight loss is your stated goal (isn't that true for almost all of us? ) an important benefit of developing an exercise habit is that over time, your fitness gains can really improve your enjoyment of day to day life.

So my suggestion is to try different things until you find the one(s) you enjoy doing- whether it is walking, cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, strength training, dancing, roller blading, etc. Almost doesn't matter what activity, its the habit of exercising that yields great results over the long term - so we might as well do something fun!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    One other bit of advice I would give is not to be scared of the gym, or of asking for help. Just remember that we ALL started the gym / jogging / other form of exercise with no prior knowledge and experience. I started lifting weights in my 40s and I did worry about looking stupid at first. Then I realised I got kudos for just walking through the door and wanting to learn. Most people are really happy to help if you ask.

Oh, and just in case you’re worried about people looking at you (really common concern) - we’re all a) concentrating on our own workouts and not looking at others and b) worrying that we’re also doing something stupid. I can deadlift 100kg but I managed to smack myself in the forehead with a broomstick when stretching the other day 🤣
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,449 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I’d suggest simply walking as a great starting point to building up to something more challenging.

It’s enjoyable, cheap, readily available, vitamin D source, dog friendly, and entertaining with a podcast, music, or just enjoying birdcalls. In short, THE most user friendly and accessible form of exercise, and the most underrated.

Plus, after while, everyone in town starts to recognize and wave at you, and people in the most random places will greet you as “walking lady”.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Jamaica113 wrote: »

Are trainers available at your gym? A few sessions with a personal trainer would be an invaluable investment.

Meanwhile, I agree that walking is a great place to start for the reasons mentioned above.