How hard was your first push up?

I have been trying my hand at push ups for a while now without any results. How do people train to get the push ups right. Me I can't even get my chest half way up.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    If you don't have stairs available (e.g., live on one floor) but you have access to a gym with a Smith machine, you can set the bar at a height that allows you to do a "push up," and then move it down gradually as you are able to complete 8 to 12 reps at a particular level. (This is the only thing I use the Smith machine for. :smile: )
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Doing yoga poses like downward dog and plank can also help strengthen your arms. They are easier than regular pushups, but lead you there. Wall pushups, stair pushups or knee pushups are also easier.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    At no point in my life have I ever been able to do a single push-up, or chin up. They mystify me.
  • There are many correct ways to do a push-up. For me, the key is keeping my entire core (front and back) and my legs engaged.
    It took me a long time to get there.
    I agree, one stepping stone is doing plank. If you can do plant for one minute, then you’ll develop the core strength to do a push-up.
    Good luck.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    It's different for everyone, and depends a lot on your body composition. It's much harder, for example, for women who carry a lot of weight in their legs and thighs, and don't have a ton of upper body strength. Compared to a slim-hipped man with well developed chest muscles.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are struggling to do push ups, then maybe push ups aren't for you.

However, I do find that core strength exercises made push ups a lot easier for me back when my wrists could handle doing them.

So Pilates, plank, etc.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I started with wall push-ups, then kitchen counter, then stairs as mentioned above. My trainer at the time also would strap me into the weight pulley machine and use counter weight but that would be hard to do alone. The one thing he told me is don’t focus on “knee” push-ups because they don’t engage your core and stabilizing muscles the same way as toe push-ups. It took a long time for me to get to be able to do good ones but keep at it and you’ll get there!

This was my route too. TBH, it took a long time. It was during this time of learning body weight exercises that I found out for myself how complimentary everything else was: lap swimming, water fitness class, body weight program, running... Doing all of it helped do the rest of it. I think trying to do push ups with an already strong core was really helpful for me. It was also important to work on them consistently. Trying a couple of times a week wasn't going to be enough to make progress. At this point, I can do 3 sets of 8 with my feet on the edge of the fireplace (15 in high) :) Keep at it. I have a real love/hate relationship with push ups. I don't always love doing them, but I love being able to do them!
  • margaretgalvin2
    margaretgalvin2 Posts: 5 Member
    When I have not done pushups in a while I start out doing them on my knees, then regular ones on an angle, and finally when I have the strength I do regular pushups.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I used to do those keevpress ups, then decided I wanted to do them properly! I just takes some core and upper body strength and practice!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Knee! Not keev 🙄
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Wall pushups, counter pushups, planks. I started from full bedrest, slowly working my way back to standard pushups, and dealing with a muscle disease. You’ll make it 😉👍
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    You might find it helpful to increase your strength in other ways first.. through weight lifting or other resistance training. I couldn't do a push up, but then after I started weight lifting, it naturally became easy.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I tried for 2 years and got nowhere. After 6 months with a PT I got my first one. Not a pretty one, but a full one. We did loads of core, delt and tricep work, plus knee push ups. Now (10 months on) I can do 9 before my form breaks down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not sure...I started pretty young with calisthenics...like around 10 years old. Maybe start with wall pushups or if those are too easy use a desk or high countertop and then graduate to something a little closer to the ground like a coffee table until you can do it on the ground.