Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"worth every calorie" - inappropriate phrase??

Options
paperpudding
paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/20/great-british-bake-off-prue-leith-sparks-upset-with-calories-remark-15456076/

I dont watch the show myself but stumbled on this news item.

Do the fans have a point or are they over reacting?

We often read the same phrase on MFP posts about cake or whatever - admittedly this is a calorie counting site not a TV cooking show.

does anyone find it inappropriate here? or Ok in different context? or ok in both??

What do you think?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the internet. :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    "Some explained how saying that something is ‘worth the calories’ feeds into ‘diet culture’, while others highlighted how phrases such as that one can impact people who have been affected by eating disorders."

I'd suggest if people with eating disorders are watching the show - the impact of the show on their thinking is going to be much worse than a phrase.
    They probably shouldn't be watching the show in the first place if that easily affected.

"Diet culture"? - meaning a lot of people are on, or have been on, or desire to get on, or know they need to be on, a diet to lose some fat for health or vanity reasons - but that's a bad thing?
    I just don't get that one.

Ditto's to using the phrase is actually useful to so many people that may not realize you can account for the calories and enjoy something in moderation.

I think "Diet Culture" is sort of a code word, in some circles, for a whole complex of ideas around prizing thin-ness, thinking fat people are lazy gluttons, pushing others toward abstemious self-denial and intense workouts as a pure virtue for reasons of weight loss/appearance, and that sort of thing.

Depending on one's own personal mindset, "diet culture" might be a real thing, or a mythical thing, or a straw-man to rail against, or one of many other things. But I think usually when someone uses the term, it's a specialized, loaded term - like I said, a code word, kinda.

I don't think it's usually understood to mean something simple and potentially benign like your bolded paragraph . . . granting, of course, that some segment of the world would be triggered by the bolded ideas, and consider it a clear case of Diet Culture. 😉

ETA, in case it's not clear: I also don't understand why someone who struggles with EDs or the like, or who'd be triggered by "worth the calories" should or would be watching an indulgent-foods baking show. This story seems like outrage for outrage's sake, from folks not liking what's in other folks' lane.

I find worth/not-worth the calories a useful concept, to me as a calorie counter. For example, grocery store cookies? Mostly not worth the calories. My favorite banana chocolate chip cookies from mama's recipe? Sometimes very much worth the calories, maybe even two of them as components in an impromptu ice cream sandwich.

I just had a peek at Twitter and I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary there.

I mean, everyone pops off about every little thing on Twitter. Sure. Some people were saying they were tired of Peru’s catch phrases. But OK. It’s a show that’s had a pretty good run so far. Sometimes the catch phrases will get a bit stale.

I think this is a case of the newspaper trying to find something to write about that will sell papers.

We do watch the show here. In binge-bursts. It’s really lovely to see all the wonderful efforts the bakers make. And it’s a great deal healthier for the emotional side of entertainment than anything Gordon Ramsey has starred in.

I will admit to really cheering on some of the contestants. Even though we watch what are essentially reruns. :)
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/20/great-british-bake-off-prue-leith-sparks-upset-with-calories-remark-15456076/

I dont watch the show myself but stumbled on this news item.

Do the fans have a point or are they over reacting?

We often read the same phrase on MFP posts about cake or whatever - admittedly this is a calorie counting site not a TV cooking show.

does anyone find it inappropriate here? or Ok in different context? or ok in both??

What do you think?

As you do not watch the show perhaps you are not aware of the context of this comment?

When the food produced by the contestants is horrible the phrase "Not worth the calories" is used for laughs so it was just a quip with reference to that when someone, on this occasion, produced a particularly delicious confection.

So, with respect, you are over thinking this.