Vitamin D

Back in May, before having my hip surgery, I had my Vitamin D level checked - it was a few ticks above the lower limit of normal. I was ordered to take a supplement immediately.
My orthopedic surgeon said his level was "under* the lower limit. And that it isn't possible in the Pacific Northwest to get enough vitamin D from sun exposure and diet. Maybe think about getting checked.. Start taking a daily supplement of 5,000 IU !
MFP doesn't tally Vitamin D in the food diary. More information:
mindbodygreen.com: This Is The Vitamin D Level We Should All Actually Be Striving For.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/optimal-vitamin-d-levels-for-health-are-higher-than-you-think
My orthopedic surgeon said his level was "under* the lower limit. And that it isn't possible in the Pacific Northwest to get enough vitamin D from sun exposure and diet. Start taking a daily supplement of 5,000 IU !

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Are you asking a question?
  • hiiamamie
    hiiamamie Posts: 30 Member
    I'm in Florida and don't avoid the sun and in the same boat.
  • russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    The RDA is 600-800 IU ( 15-20 mcg ).. full body exposure for 30 minutes at midday, and your skin will create 10,000 IU, according to John Jacob Cannell, MD, executive director of The Vitamin D Council.

Living in a northern climate, and the fact we wear clothes, and probably can't sit in the sun at midday.. reduces this, but the biggest reason people have to supplement, is they don't go outside for 30 minutes a day.

I'd also Google foods high in Vitamin D, and see if you eat any of them. You might want to look at salmon, and other fish, which should not be hard to find in the Pacific Northwest.

Some of us simply don't spend enough time, even 30 minutes a day, outside, and in winter, it is harder in colder climates, so in those cases, you may want to supplement, but if you do not want to, it likely won't take a lot of effort to get plenty of Vitamin D.

I eat Eggland's Best eggs.. they have 6x the Vitamin D of a normal egg. So one jumbo egg has 7.5 mcg of Vitamin D.. so 2 jumbo eggs gets you 100% of the Vitamin D you need.

Good Luck figuring it all out.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    I eat Eggland's Best eggs.. they have 6x the Vitamin D of a normal egg. So one jumbo egg has 7.5 mcg of Vitamin D.. so 2 jumbo eggs gets you 100% of the Vitamin D you need.

Eggland's eggs do have slightly more vitamin D than regular eggs but not 6x's. According to USDA, a normal large egg has 98.4 IU vitamin D versus a large Eggland's egg that has 120 IU (from their website).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    I was VitD deficient.

Discovered this only after a new doc ordered a blood test 4 it along w/a lot of other tests as a new px of his about 10 yrs ago

He immediately gave me one of those RX only super doses of Vit and then it took several yrs of trial and error to find the right dosage for me which is 5k IU/day.

Been getting my VitD level tested along w/other blood tests annually ever since.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I was also deficient despite supplementing with a multivitamin that contains the standard dose of vitamin D. I then started taking 3000 units a day and was still deficient. I only reached the lower level of normal by taking 5000 units a day. I’m still in the low end of normal. This happened once I stopped drinking dairy milk and went plant based.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I drink calcium enriched orange juice every day and it's got Vit D. My bloodwork shows that it's sufficient for my needs without a supplement.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    I was having dizzy spells and some other just general symptoms. My doctor tested my vitamin D level and it was 4. So of course that is seriously below where it should be, so he prescribed 50,000 IU weekly. My husband and I are both still on those dosage, my doctor making sure we are covered since that seems to be a contributor to Covid symptoms as well. He still tests us yearly, but like the poster said with the way Americans live now that there is just no way naturally for us to keep those levels where they should be unless we live in Florida :)