Kinda Sounding This Out: Protein and Calories

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    You guys astound me with your daily protein achievements! I set my goal for 100 for the day, since my personal trainer told me 80-100 (but then she said she'd settle for 60 for me since I'm a vegetarian), but I can hardly ever get there even with supplementation. I can't even conceive of getting to 200 grams of protein in a day and how many calories that might be! My limit is 1400 in a day.

FWIW: As a vegetarian myself, I'm inclined to think vegetarians need relatively *more* protein (because our sources are more likely to be less complete in essential amino acid profile), though I admit it can be harder to get. IIRC, @mylittlerainbow, you are quite petite compared to me, so I'm explicitly not commenting on your specific goal.

Me, I'm comfortable at 1g per pound of estimated lean body mass daily, more if I can fit it in - I'm also shooting for 100 but as a minimum . . . but I'm not nearly as active as @springlering62 (and have slightly different experiences with exercise response, or so I fondly think): I'm also explicitly not making a judgement about her higher goal. In fact, I'm eagerly interested in what she observes going forward with this experiment!

I gratefully have a higher calorie goal than yours, @mylittlerainbow, though I think I'm also bigger (5'5", mid-120s pounds) - eating at 1850 + exercise, mostly, which is a bit under actual maintenance (calorie banking for occasional indulgences), so 2200-2500 usually, more occasionally. I feel like enjoying savories benefits me on the protein front, as there are more savory protein sources than sweet ones.

Although guavas . . . ?!?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    You guys astound me with your daily protein achievements! I set my goal for 100 for the day, since my personal trainer told me 80-100 (but then she said she'd settle for 60 for me since I'm a vegetarian), but I can hardly ever get there even with supplementation. I can't even conceive of getting to 200 grams of protein in a day and how many calories that might be! My limit is 1400 in a day.

Yes but OP is a highly active older woman who strength trains regularly. Your protein needs vary according to your personal circumstances and health needs.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm a 56 year ol 46 kg woman who does a bit of strength training - I get around 70g protein a day, and I need the protein powder to hit that. I don't really go much on meat, but I'm gradually recomping on what I eat (around 1600 Cal's a day I guess - sedentary job).
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    And I thought that you couldn't absorb more than around 30g protein at a time?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    And I thought that you couldn't absorb more than around 30g protein at a time?

@Pipsqueak1965
    That's a very common myth but a myth all the same.
    Partly it's confusing rates of absorbtion (more takes longer, it doesn't get wasted), partly to do with levels for raising MPS (which isn't the only use for protein).
    There can be advantages for several repeated smaller doses compared to bigger but fewer doses but that's different to can't absorb/use it.

Quite apart from you at 46kg compared to someone who could easily be far, far larger.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

My oikos pro greek yogurt (25 grams) + chocolate whey powder (30 grams) + 8 ounces of 2% milk (8 grams) + 8 ounces of almond milk (like... 1 or two) comes out to 63 grams of protein for 400 calories - and more than 1/2 my daily protein goal. My usual standard is 'anything that has 10% as many grams of protein as calories is pretty good, so this is excellent.

That's basically typical breakfast and is a HUGE protein hit in one go that keeps me full a long time. Also tastes like drinking chocolate cheesecake.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    It’s getting easier. I find myself with 194gr of protein already pre-logged.

And 500+ calories still left over.

I am literally a kid in a candy shop. Woot!
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I totally just googled that mint choc syrup because mmmmm mint choc and it is $24 AUD minimum per 750ml bottle! Sheeeesh it better be good ha ha
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »
    I totally just googled that mint choc syrup because mmmmm mint choc and it is $24 AUD minimum per 750ml bottle! Sheeeesh it better be good ha ha

You can make your own for $3. :) I haven't bought a chocolate syrup in years because of the palm oil, and I like my own homemade syrups a lot better for a lot less $$$.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    If you are needing to be close to a bathroom when consuming the protein powder, is it possible that you might be slightly lactose intolerant? If so, a whey hydrolysate, egg, or vegan powder would be helpful.

Have you thought about making protein fluffs? Think there are some older threads with recipes and you could google them. They wouldn’t leave you chilled like the smoothies.

If you try the whey hydrolysate, I like Alpha Lion. It is very finely milled compared to Legion whey and less chalky.
  • springlering62
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »

You can make your own for $3. :) I haven't bought a chocolate syrup in years because of the palm oil, and I like my own homemade syrups a lot better for a lot less $$$.

What a great idea! I’m sure there’s some kind of generic zero cal chocolate syrup down yonder. Maybe adding a scant drop of peppermint oil to your recipe or even to the bottle would work. @sheahughes !

I’d start with the smallest drop possible. I tried peppermint oil in the bath one time. A little goes a looooong way. I was reminded of an article I’d read that a dog can smell a drop of blood in a swimming pool.

@Beautyofdreams thankfully not lactose intolerant. Before I reformed (ha!) I could easily go through 3/4 gallon of milk a day to wash my cookies and M&Ms down. And follow that up with half a container of Breyers. Mint chocolate chip, ironically.

This particular brand of protein powder is the first flavored one I’ve tried. It leaves me bloated and swollen immediately and for hours afterwards. Had some before bed, and this morning I look like I’m pregnant.

If I have it in the afternoon, I’ve found it kills my appetite for hours and I have a hard time getting other calories in, since I’m heavily loaded to late afternoon and evening.

I’ve got some plain Naked whey I've been adding to pancakes and chaffles. I’m going to try it in smoothies with some cacao or zero cal syrup.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian who dated a vegan for a while, I know that there is protein in everything, even in your green salad. Some foods of course are more concentrated than others, but you can definitely get your protein in even if you aren't fond of beans or legumes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    So two and a half weeks into this.

<snip>

It’s like Tetris, isn’t it?!

That's exactly what the whole macro/nutrition thingy is.

I spot a business op in there somewhere...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "I know there’s some discussion here that people don’t need that much, that the body will flush or can even reject or not handle(?) excess protein well"

That is mostly twaddle frankly apart from not needing that much but then is "need" the right word without defining need for what?
    For example need to avoid deficiency is at the opposite end of the spectrum from aiming for optimal intake.
    Is it useful is probably a better question?

Some of it is people confusing the optimal amount for raising muscle protein synthesis but that's not the only use of protein and going over that amount (roughly 40g per meal) doesn't mean it's wasted - it just that more isn't going to spike MPS any higher.
    As humans we are very good at using ANY food that we stuff in our cake holes!!

Eat more fat / burn more fat, eat more carbs / burn more carbs, eat more protein / burn more protein. Your gut can use amino acids for energy and you would prefer that to come from your food rather than your muscles.

200g suggests your recommendations are 1.5g per pound which isn't unreasonable or way out for someone very active, exercising and older (we don't use protein so well as we age).
    But if it's affecting your enjoyment of your diet that's a valid concern. If someone enjoyed eating a very protein centric diet that would be very different.
    Drinking some of your protein might help?

That your weight hasn't risen when you started to eat more may well mean you need to repeat that experiment, 2300 - 2500 really doesn't sound like a lot for you.

As an endurance cyclist I just see exercise calories as just one perfectly valid energy need - I couldn't ride how I wanted to if I didn't fuel it.
    I guess other short duration exercise doesn't have that clear and obvious CI / CO link although it's still there but without the immediate proximity.

CO-signed & well said!

I trust your medical team is giving you sound and reasonable advise. We don't know your health history either. Myself and a few of my clients are missing portions of our digestive tract which means we don't absorb protein efficiently. Advanced age, we don't process protein anything close to when we were younger. Being less male, we may need more protein. More protein and better quality at that is very reasonable suggestion and plan.

I think you should be able to ask your medical team a better source. I'm thinking Whey would give you minimal 60g just by drinking during meals that involve trace amounts of protein. Again I would relay your situation to your medical team since they have more info on you what is appropriate.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    "I know there’s some discussion here that people don’t need that much, that the body will flush or can even reject or not handle(?) excess protein well"

That is mostly twaddle frankly apart from not needing that much but then is "need" the right word without defining need for what?
    For example need to avoid deficiency is at the opposite end of the spectrum from aiming for optimal intake.
    Is it useful is probably a better question?

Some of it is people confusing the optimal amount for raising muscle protein synthesis but that's not the only use of protein and going over that amount (roughly 40g per meal) doesn't mean it's wasted - it just that more isn't going to spike MPS any higher.
    As humans we are very good at using ANY food that we stuff in our cake holes!!

Eat more fat / burn more fat, eat more carbs / burn more carbs, eat more protein / burn more protein. Your gut can use amino acids for energy and you would prefer that to come from your food rather than your muscles.

200g suggests your recommendations are 1.5g per pound which isn't unreasonable or way out for someone very active, exercising and older (we don't use protein so well as we age).
    But if it's affecting your enjoyment of your diet that's a valid concern. If someone enjoyed eating a very protein centric diet that would be very different.
    Drinking some of your protein might help?

That your weight hasn't risen when you started to eat more may well mean you need to repeat that experiment, 2300 - 2500 really doesn't sound like a lot for you.

As an endurance cyclist I just see exercise calories as just one perfectly valid energy need - I couldn't ride how I wanted to if I didn't fuel it.
    I guess other short duration exercise doesn't have that clear and obvious CI / CO link although it's still there but without the immediate proximity.

CO-signed & well said!

I trust your medical team is giving you sound and reasonable advise. We don't know your health history either. Myself and a few of my clients are missing portions of our digestive tract which means we don't absorb protein efficiently. Advanced age, we don't process protein anything close to when we were younger. Being less male, we may need more protein. More protein and better quality at that is very reasonable suggestion and plan.

I think you should be able to ask your medical team a better source. I'm thinking Whey would give you minimal 60g just by drinking during meals that involve trace amounts of protein. Again I would relay your situation to your medical team since they have more info on you what is appropriate.

@mylittlerainbow
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Reading through this, I'm geeking out over the numbers, especially compared to me:

OP
    BW 133
    Calories: 2600+
    Protein: 200g+

ME
    BW 194
    Calories: 2000+
    Protein: 100+ non-lifting days, 150+ lifting days (rarely hitting 200)

You're so much smaller, yet eating so much more and often with double my protein intake, yet I'm the weight lifting bodybuilder, lol. I'm happy where I am, but sometimes wonder what results I could get should I consistently eat as you...though that'll have to wait until after my four teenagers have grown and gone and are no longer obliterating my grocery budget...
  • springlering62
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Amazing. Reading through this, I'm geeking out over the numbers, especially compared to me:

OP
    BW 133
    Calories: 2600+
    Protein: 200g+

ME
    BW 194
    Calories: 2000+
    Protein: 100+ non-lifting days, 150+ lifting days (rarely hitting 200)

You're so much smaller, yet eating so much more and often with double my protein intake, yet I'm the weight lifting bodybuilder, lol. I'm happy where I am, but sometimes wonder what results I could get should I consistently eat as you...though that'll have to wait until after my four teenagers have grown and gone and are no longer obliterating my grocery budget...

It’s probably activity. I have years’ worth of sitting on my *kitten* to make up for. After shedding weight, I love being in motion. I only sit down a couple of hours a day, after dinner.

There’s ladies on here who eat more than me, though.

And never ever compare yourself. I’d like to lift heavy. Have accepted that ain’t gonna happen. Also saddled with sagging extra skin on my tummy from weight loss, so couldn’t be a body builder like you.