craving sweets

Options
What do you do when you are craving chocolate? This is my 1st week using Fitness Pal. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
NCgrandma

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I budget for at least 70 calories of chocolate every day. If I eat high quality dark chocolate, very very slowly, I can satisfy my chocolate urge for just a small calorie hit.

While I'm not able to moderate chocolate BARS, I can moderate pre-portioned chocolate SQUARES, or chocolate CHIPS that I weight and immediately put the bag out of sight.

I also find eating several servings of fruit every day helpful.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wait a day and if i'm still craving it then I make it work in my calories.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you have a low calorie sweetner like stevia drops you can make a hot chocolate with water or a nut milk verrrry low cal. Even the boxed stuff could be fit into your day if you plan for it.

LORD JESUS REIGNS
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Generally, when I'm craving chocolate, I eat chocolate. Or something chocolate flavored. I enjoy barely sweetened homemade hot chocolate, made from unsweetened cocoa, cayenne, cinnamon, maybe a splash of almond and/or vanilla extract, and just a little sugar, plus milk or nondairy sub. Or a somewhat sweeter mix of cocoa and sugar blended with much less milk, more or less to the consistency of unset fudge. I find I can stop at one serving of those.

@lynn_glenmont: I am going to have to try this tonight!

What's a serving for you? Grams of cocoa and sugar would be ideal, but calories is ok too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Generally, when I'm craving chocolate, I eat chocolate. Or something chocolate flavored. I enjoy barely sweetened homemade hot chocolate, made from unsweetened cocoa, cayenne, cinnamon, maybe a splash of almond and/or vanilla extract, and just a little sugar, plus milk or nondairy sub. Or a somewhat sweeter mix of cocoa and sugar blended with much less milk, more or less to the consistency of unset fudge. I find I can stop at one serving of those.

@lynn_glenmont: I am going to have to try this tonight!

What's a serving for you? Grams of cocoa and sugar would be ideal, but calories is ok too.

Well, a serving for me is pretty much what I can manage/am willing to spare from what I have left. Generally, I'd say it's anywhere from 50 to 150 calories.

My personal preference is around 1:1 unsweetened cocoa powder to sugar by weight, then a bit more milk by weight than the combined weight of the dry ingredients. If all I want is a couple of spoons-full and I use skim milk, that's about 50 calories.* If I want something more like a third of a cup (U.S. standard 8 fl oz. cup), it's more like 150 calories. It really is very much like unset fudge to my taste (minus the "mouth feel" of the additional fat that real fudge has), so I seldom want as much 150 calories worth.

Results will vary depending on how sweet you like it, how thick or thin you like it, and the kind of milk you use.

ETA: so this would be about a tablespoon (15 ml.) of cocoa, a tablespoon of milk, and a teaspoon (5 ml.) of sugar. You could actually do slightly "rounded" measures for 50 calories.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I dont have much of a sweet tooth, but a Tootsie Roll Midgee does it for me. About 10 calories. I let it melt in my mouth so the flavor lasts at least 30 minutes. By that time I’m doing something else and have forgotten about chocolate.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    What about sugar-free chocolate pudding?

I've been using the sugar-free hot cocoa mix lately, 50 calories and it takes awhile to drink. Trouble is it's not the chocolate flavor I'm looking for.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    What about sugar-free chocolate pudding?

I've been using the sugar-free hot cocoa mix lately, 50 calories and it takes awhile to drink. Trouble is it's not the chocolate flavor I'm looking for.

I have used this. It is also a great way to get more calcium in.

I often will have chocolate protein powder mixed with greek yogurt. Gives me the chocolate taste I want plus a lot of protein.

OP, if you really need a piece of chocolate candy or cake, and don't trust yourself yet with a whole bag or whole cake in the house, go to the store and buy one small candy bar or one cupcake. Eat it, work it into your daily calorie target, and enjoy.

I do this with potato chips. I tend to crave savory, salty foods more than sweets or chocolate so I buy a single serving size bag and enjoy them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mint tea perhaps? I add a splash of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of splenda. Hot beverages take time to drink so it lasts longer.

Not chocolate, but this time of year I like to heat 4 oz. of apple cider/juice and water and add a ginger type tea bag. A low cal mulled cider. I use Bigelow Ginger Snappish - Yum
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I like those Fiber one brownies
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just fit it in to the daily calorie. Mediterranean lunch plus chocolate is a decent calorie exchange.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that eating sweet things begets a desire for more sweet things. So if possible, I try to not start. But if I do have something sweet - like 100 calories of good chocolate - I'll have it with my unsweetened coffee after breakfast when I am already very full.

Also, I have added lots of lower calorie sweet options. Ice cream has been replaced by making frozen fruit/veg "soft-serve" in my Yonanas machine. Grating carrots releases their natural sugars so I always have grated carrots in the fridge to snack on whenever a sweet craving pops up. Blending no-sugar Jello with frozen fruit and fresh made yogurt makes a delicious sweet dessert.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I leave room in my daily calories for sweets. I enjoy having dessert in the evenings, and when I restrict myself from having it I'm more likely to mess up and eat too much of it in the future. Tonight after dinner I had a cookie and it was awesome. Last night I wasn't feeling up for junk, so I enjoyed a fruit smoothie. Getting through my day is a little easier when I know I'm going to have a "treat" at the end of the night.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Another vote for --->eat chocolate.

I consistently keep different chocolate bars in my freezer and eat chocolate almost everyday. I will say that after losing weight and keeping a better mindset with a better diet --- I don't crave super sweet things often. But when I do, I eat it. I ate two pieces of carrot cake (with cream cheese icing) the other day simply bc it was probably going to go stale soon and I didn't want to just throw it away. Definitely went over my calorie goal that day - but oh well.

As far as the chocolate I usually buy regular sized chocolate bars in the candy section (like nice chocolate bars, not Hersey's --- usually dark chocolate but I do also sometimes feel in the mood for milk chocolate). I then *typically* break them into 6 pieces from the whole and keep that in a ziplock in the freezer. Grab one out when I make my dinner, it's thawed by the time I'm done eating dinner and I nosh.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I love chocolate! I have a bar of dark chocolate, currently Lily's. I break a small piece and weigh it. I let it melt in my mouth. I use unsweetened cacao and almond milk with monk fruit, stevia or Jordan's sugar free syrup.
    My favorite? This-
    1-Scoop chocolate plant protein
    2-Barrens Silk Chocolare greens
    3-Tbsp Cocoa powder
    4- Unsweetened chocolate Almond milk
    5- hot water
    6- glucomannan ( makes it thick) fiber that thickens

I heat it in microwave then top with cinnamon, cacao nibs or the Dark chocolate
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    Or a somewhat sweeter mix of cocoa and sugar blended with much less milk, more or less to the consistency of unset fudge.

Back in my military days, sometimes we were issued MRE's (meals ready to eat) at meal time. The entree is a subject for a different discussion, but desserts were traded around for favors (think you give me your dessert, I will shine your shoes for next inspection). M&M's were the most popular, but only slightly less so was a variant of the above. Ingredients were Swiss Miss hot chocolate powder, coffee creamer, and just enough water to turn the mixed powders into a type of fudge. Combine with creamy peanut butter, and you have a G.I.'s version of Reese's.

These days I do one of two things when I crave sweets in the evening and haven't already budgeted in space for a dessert. First, I keep a stash of miniature Hershey's bars in the freezer. One is less than 50 calories, and something about being frozen makes it more satisfying than a larger room-temp bar, perhaps because of the additional chewing required when frozen.

Second, I sometimes have a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips around if I plan to make cookies. Measure out a tbsp of the chips into a sandwich bag, then eat them ONE. AT. A. TIME. Between slowing down the pace plus the semi-sweet nature rather than full-sweet, it satisfies after only a small amount, again in the 50 calorie range.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have a 60 calorie Jello sugar free pudding.
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I put 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and other spices in my oats every morning (with artificial sweetener). I mix 1Tablespoon coca, 1 T chia seeds, 1 pack sweetener, and 1/4 cup water in a small jar for pudding every night. Works for me.