How often do you weigh?

Replies

• dcatiller
    dcatiller Posts: 1 Member
    As others have said, I like to weigh myself every day. I have seen advice both for and against it. People argue against because they say you should not obsess over the ups and downs. I like to see my weight every day. When its good, it motivates me to keep going. When its bad, I need only look at my history for inspiration that it is short lived if I stay consistent with my routines.

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I weigh daily, but try to ignore the numbers. I log them and then look at the slope on a graph every month. That helps show the overall trend no matter how much fluctuation there is.

I can't really tell if a diet is working until I see the data 6 weeks out.
  • refactored
    refactored Posts: 399 Member
    edited October 2021
    I weigh daily but only really take the weekly average into consideration. I have tracked my daily weight for over 5 years and I have become accustomed to the extent of daily fluctuations.

I was also told to weigh weekly by a doctor but since it is an instantaneous value I don't think it is worth much because I can fluctuate by over 3 pounds daily. It is very demotivating when it appears I haven't lost weight over 1 week for me.

If I were to weigh my self less frequently than daily I would think it would make more sense to weigh monthly because I would be more likely to see a change. But weighing monthly would probably lead me to think I could be less strict with my counting!

So daily weighing is the right balance for me because I think a weekly average is a far better measure and keeps me motivated.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Once a weekRr over here. I wi on Sundays. Actually 3 wi’s. 1st one at 6:53, I then sleep a little more or just do nothing including any consumption, and just before the Sunday workout I do the 2nd wi. This is the weight I’ll punch into as my weeks current weight(from wake to this wi I have dropped as much as a full #, but half lb is avg). Just to see how much water I need to get back in me I do the last and final wi of the week after my workout. A 3-5lb water loss is avg for me. I sweat a lot.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    The frequency I weigh directly relates to my eating habits. If I am sticking to my calorie goals, I’ll weigh every day. If I haven’t weighed for weeks or months, it’s a warning sign that I’m off track. I weigh after my morning run and I’m sure that exacerbates fluctuations, a longer run will give me a lower number due to more sweating, but I can’t seem to help myself. I’m guessing that if I weighed first thing, the number would be 1-3 pounds higher than my post run weight. Telling myself that if I reach my first mini-goal, I’ll switch to first thing in the morning.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2021
    The frequency I weigh directly relates to my eating habits. If I am sticking to my calorie goals, I’ll weigh every day. If I haven’t weighed for weeks or months, it’s a warning sign that I’m off track.

Same. I'm pretty good at sticking with tracking what I eat daily, but if I stop weighing, that's a sign I need to check what I'm doing. Sometimes it is deliberate, like when I get back from a vacation I won't weigh for a week or so, to give travel water weight to go away and things to level back out. But, when I was dating someone new a while ago, I was avoiding weighing because I knew going out to eat more and working out less was having an effect, but also wanted to enjoy the new relationship. I ended up gaining about 8 lbs in about 4 months before getting things back on track (then he broke up with me a month after that and I started a new medication that killed my appetite for a couple weeks and I dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks, but that is a whole separate issue).
  • TheRobotsAreComing
    TheRobotsAreComing Posts: 26 Member
    I hop on the scales daily but only log my Saturday morning weight. Seeing how my weight fluctuates day to day helps me focus more on the general trends rather than fixating on a static number (because it's never going to stay static!)
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,736 Member
    Average Weekly Weigh-In
    ✔️ I released a pound 👋 🥾
  • crazyinspired11
    crazyinspired11 Posts: 46 Member
    I weigh weekly
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited October 2021
    Every morning, naked, after going to the bathroom, before ingesting anything...I find it removes the most variables possible and gives the best data for my scale app to build a trend line
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    daily using the libra app
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    I used to fret about weighing myself everyday. I lost the 50lbs I needed to lose. Then after that I calmed down a lot about the weight, my mind was not so anxious about the scales anymore. I weigh about once a week now. I am maintaining the weight, so all good. I stay concerned but just not letting it get me down.
  • 200Karen
    How scared I am for tomorrow’s weigh in
    😉😉
    For breakfast’s side-dish I had radishes and carrots 😩😩😩
    👍
  • LovingLillies
    LovingLillies Posts: 9 Member
    Once a week usually, although some weeks I will sneak a peek in.
    I was a everyday weigher although it didn't encourage me enough to lose
  • 200Karen
    Happy Dancing 💃
    My weekly weigh-in MFP report isn't as high as expected

😍 Thanks for the Hugs and Likes 🥂
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I have done the daily weighing thing in the past. I have also done weekly weighs, and daily weighs while only logging the weight once a week. All have been helpful (or not) depending on my state of mind at the time.

Currently, I am trying a monthly schedule for weighing. I am undecided on how well it will work over time, but I feel like it’s the best thing for me at this moment. I was having a lot of trouble with consistency past a week or two, and I feel like not weighing myself has been a bit of a relief. I can focus on the details of what I am doing rather than the results.

• 200Karen
    until I get off the couch, skipping a few daily weigh ins 👍
  • UberAya
    UberAya Posts: 94 Member
    I used to do once a week or Monday and Friday. However last month, I had started doing it daily because of a challenge I was participating in...the reasoning that the challenge did so being that (supposedly) statistics showed that people who weighed daily were on average more successful than those who weighed weekly.

I can say that for the couple weeks I was doing that challenge, the daily morning weigh-in did greatly motivate me to stay on track the rest of the day. I might just stick to it.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    I weigh myself once a week, generally on Friday mornings. I feel like when I weigh myself every day I get obsessive about the number.