Filling emotional hunger

Thoughts? Advice?

I've considered counseling and have gone many times before but that boils down to 'having to do the work'. Obviously. :| I've never found it helpful and am currently going through an internal struggle about _______? Not even sure what. :( My strong mindset that I've had in the past just isn't within reach at the moment.

I've tried several false restarts over the past 2 months and cannot seem to stay strong like I was. 'Just Do It' always comes to mind, which makes it sound so much easier than it is. :(

I need to attack this differently somehow. "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten." But how?

Just putting all this out there. I feel so incompetent and hopeless right now. :(

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I've gone through a lot of therapists in my time. A good fit is really critical for effective therapy.

So if you haven't had success with therapy in the past, there's a good chance you never found someone who was a good fit.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Xellercin wrote: »
    I've gone through a lot of therapists in my time. A good fit is really critical for effective therapy.

So if you haven't had success with therapy in the past, there's a good chance you never found someone who was a good fit.

Absolutely agree!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Thanks all. <3

And @springlering62 What a kind and sweet thing to say! <3

I have an appointment in another month for an update to my meds.(Effexor's been working pretty well for me for a very long time), flu shot and possible Booster shot as well. I'll talk with her then. My weight is definitely tied in with self-image and self-esteem, drive, motivation, depression, all of it. When I was maintaining my weight and feeling in control, I felt good, able, inspired, in control. But now my life has gotten out of control, filled with depression, stress, blahblahblah. I mean, whose isn't, right?
    Just gotta find that flip switch to turn my mindless eating off and my self-control on. Oy, if only it were that easy.

Psyche meds can stop working. This has happened several times with my brother. It's also what probably happened to me - I'd been very happy with Wellbutrin for 20 years.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Xellercin wrote: »

Yep, I've had terrible luck with interns and now when I have an intake I insist on no interns. I know they have to get experience with someone, but it's not going to be me anymore.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    I used to be a very emotional eater, but I've mostly gotten it under control. When I'm feeling that way, usually when I'm sad or going through a depressive episode, I ask myself a few questions before I eat something.
    1) Am I actually hungry? 2) How will whatever I'm about to eat make me feel? 3) Am I going to be upset with myself later if I eat this now? If I am emotional eating I'll try to distract myself until my mood changes.
  • JonnyWiller
    JonnyWiller Posts: 5 Member
    I do recommend getting some phycological help. I mean, it's not cheap but it helped me a lot