Is 1200 cals Enough for an Office Worker?

Options
2»

Replies

• Franacious
    Franacious Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", scale this morning was 165.7. I'm an office worker eating 1200 calories a day. Cardio about 5 hours a week. Take some walks at work but not consistently. I typically eat back about half of my cardio calories and if I don't go crazy on the weekends (I'm terrible at staying on track on the weekend) I easily lose 1 pound each week.
  • judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1200 is the recommended minimum, which is what MFP said for me - 50 yo, 5'7", starting weight 175, office worker, elliptical 45 minutesx4 days. Most days, I was slightly over that amount, even after eating back exercise calories. Some days, I was slightly under. I was losing an average of 5 pounds a month. I suggest you start there, monitor your hunger and body signals and adjust upwards as needed. Good luck to you! And stay away from the desk that has all the candy! (you know which one that is!) ;)
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cool, I think Im on the right track. It should even out due to me not being able to exercise consistently each week and some days on top of the 1200 cals I will have to eat more to treat low blood sugars....
    Iv'e only been logging for a week so far.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight quickly will lead to a loss of muscle. It is also hard to sustain. You may lose some weight, but then you're going to gain it right back as soon as you stop restricting yourself as drastically. You'll be hungry and end up eating more because your body will demand it. Do yourself a favor and find a way of eating that is sustainable. Starving yourself isn't it.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wondering what other people think of eating 1200 cals to lose some weight (10-15lbs) when you are a female, office worker who skates for 45min once a week, walks at lunch time for 25min 3-4 days a week and lifts some weights at home 1-2 times a week for about 30 min.
    Im 5'9" and I think maybe 160lbs....(I don't like to really know, scales are dumb lol)

I'm an office worker. Not very active at all. I may randomly have a day where I happen to only eat 1200-1300 calories, but in general that is not enough for me to feel satisfied & satiated. I find 1400-1600 works much better.

I'm 5'5", 47 years, 142ish heading for 130ish. 5k-6k steps is my goal daily, and I don't always hit it.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Jeez. I would drop weight fast on 1200 a day and I'm 5 foot, 56 years old and weigh about 46 kilos. Also have an office job, walk around a bit and do short weights workouts maybe 4 times a week. I maintain around 1600-1700. So please eat a bit more you lot!
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am an office worker. I exercise daily. MPF gave me 1200 calories and it's not enough for me. I do 1600-1800 cal and I keep my weight. If my calories are lower then 1500 I loose weight very easily but I don't really need it.