which are the best supplements for toning and definition?

Options
2»

Replies

• Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    I'm a little confused. What exactly are your goals and how do you think these products can help you?

You are spending a lot on products that aren't necessary just for normal exercise, health, fitness, and looking good.

Even the creams, they only work if you lose fat at the same time, so it's impossible to say if the cream helps or just losing that fat is helping.

You say you are in financial trouble, but all of these things are expensive and won't help you get any kind of significant improvement in your results unless you are hardcore into fitness and trying to push your body to produce maximum performance.

If you are just trying to be a normal person with a nice looking, healthy body, then start with an excellent diet, and do consistent, challenging exercise.

No supplement will ever make you look "toned". That look comes from a combo of big enough muscles under little enough fat for them to be visible.

Back in my body building days, I had a ton of muscle, but if I let my fat build up too much, I looked kind of "chunky", not "toned", because the muscle just made me look bigger, not muscular when it couldn't be seen under the fat. But when I cut the fat, the muscles popped and I looked super "toned".

Then I got injured and lost a lot of muscle, but still had fat and looked "curvy". Then I got sick and lost a lot of fat, and without muscle I looked "skinny".

So "toned" is just a balance of fat and muscle.

FTR, I never took any supplements other than protein to get that "toned" look. I took a high calorie protein supplement, mostly just to get extra calories in because it was hard to eat the extra thousands of calories a day I needed to make gains. Otherwise I didn't bother with anything, I just put in hours and hours into the gym.

Still, I never looked overly muscular. I never cut my fat too low because I never got around to competing, so despite being crazy strong, I never looked anything beyond just a fit "toned" woman.

So narrow down your goals a little more. Decide how little fat you want to aim for, and device how much muscle and strength you want to aim for. It's the combo of those two that will result in you looking "toned".

Be warned though, it's very difficult for most women to put on a lot of muscle. I'm lucky, I gain muscle bulk very easily for a woman, so as long as I have low fat and I'm exercising, I always look super "toned" and fit. But my sister works out so much more than I do now, and she always just looks "thin". She's twice as strong as I am, but she'll never look "toned" or strong, she's total ectomorph, and looks like someone who could be snapped in half. Ballerinas look sturdier than she does.

If she carried more fat, she wouldn't look "toned" at all. Her mighty, but small muscles would disappear underneath it. Meanwhile I can carry a decent amount of body fat and still look like I have athletic arms and shoulders because of the visible cuts of my larger but weaker delts and biceps.

For women, genetics will largely decide for you how muscular you can get (without steroids), which will largely determine how "toned" you can look and how much fat you can pull off carrying while still having your muscles visible.

You kind of have to work with what you've got. My sister will never look like a "toned", curvy, j-lo type like me, and I'll never look like a lean, willowy, Gwenyth Paltrow type like her. No matter how we diet or exercise.

So don't let a bunch of BS marketing confuse you, and stop wasting your precious money on products that won't make much of a difference even if they do work. Even a single session with a good trainer is worth more than all of those products, and will cost you less.

Try to gain muscle and try to lose fat if you want to look more "toned", and accept that at a certain point, your genetics will have a major say about the limits of what you can control about your body composition.

Thank you so much, I will lay off bcaas and pre workout powders and stick to my whey as I don't have much protein except eggs and chicken which I barely can keep stocked up on. Finances are bad enough, I'm on personal independent payments for daily living due to anxiety disorder and being autistic and I'm on universal credit, so personal trainer payments will be hard to do.

All I'm wanting is a more sculpted look but without going up a size in my clothes as I cannot go out spending on anything extra except my utilities and food shopping. It's all worrying me but I've been trying to get a more sculpted defined slender look for years since I was eighteen, I'm fed up with how I get so far then I struggle due to finances.

I will take in mind what you have said. Thank you.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    @psuLemon, @Xellercin and @kshama2001, you three have helped me the most in figuring out what it is i am in need to do so i thank you. Please reply to this message and not the other two replies from myself, I would like to put this discussion to a close for I feel I have been helped plenty. ^_^

Hope you all have a lovely week and stay safe. take care.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    fcc3y08snvwe.png
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    @psuLemon, @Xellercin and @kshama2001, you three have helped me the most in figuring out what it is i am in need to do so i thank you. Please reply to this message and not the other two replies from myself, I would like to put this discussion to a close for I feel I have been helped plenty. ^_^

If you are tight on finances, then drop the supplements. They support the 1% in terms of goals.

Focus on total protein (.8-1g/lb of lbm or weight). Look at bulk buying eggs, chicken, ground beef,etc.. if you can offer whey, then great. And then get on a structured lifting routine, like one of the free ones posted earlier.

I'm wayyyy ahead of you there. I do need to make another musclefood.com meat order I got to admit but it will have to wait a few weeks.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

If you are tight on finances, then drop the supplements. They support the 1% in terms of goals.

Focus on total protein (.8-1g/lb of lbm or weight). Look at bulk buying eggs, chicken, ground beef,etc.. if you can offer whey, then great. And then get on a structured lifting routine, like one of the free ones posted earlier.

I'm wayyyy ahead of you there. I do need to make another musclefood.com meat order I got to admit but it will have to wait a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure you can get fine food at a local store much lower cost.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Can anyone else in the UK weigh in on if these are good prices?

https://www.musclefood.com/

@BarbaraHelen2013?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 - Sorry, I’m probably not the right person to ask about meat prices as a long time vegetarian.

I do buy some meat at the supermarket for my husband but that pretty much amounts to a pack of four chicken breasts once a week and 500g 95% lean beef mince once a month or so. I’ve never bought meat in bulk so I can’t comment on prices with any authority. I’m fortunate enough not to have to work within a strict budget so I don’t pay a lot of attention to the price I pay for regular grocery items.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 - Sorry, I’m probably not the right person to ask about meat prices as a long time vegetarian.

I do buy some meat at the supermarket for my husband but that pretty much amounts to a pack of four chicken breasts once a week and 500g 95% lean beef mince once a month or so. I’ve never bought meat in bulk so I can’t comment on prices with any authority. I’m fortunate enough not to have to work within a strict budget so I don’t pay a lot of attention to the price I pay for regular grocery items.

Snap, I remembered your username and that you were in the UK, but not that you are a vegetarian :(
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are completely a waste. Literally zero benefit.

The pre-workout isn't dosed right, especially since the primary benefits of a pre-workout are in the caffeine, but also the Citrulline Malate at 6-8g or L-Citrulline at 4-6g, and Beta Alanine at 2.5-3.2g. and ON doesn't hit the mark.

Unless either creams use Yohimbine, then it's not supporting fat loss. Topical Yohimbine can help with fat loss but it has to be cycled and can have really bad side effects. Its even more problematic because most companies don't dose or ever dose. So its not a good supplement to use.

And protein on! I use protein supplements to make milkshakes every night. I don't need the extra protein but i like the fullness.

baetieccttrf.jpg

And in the end, nothing beats a well structured lifting routine.

what would you suggest for protein shakes? You sure sound like you know your stuff :smile: from the powders I have included in link and screenshot, what do you think? I mean, I use the whey with a broken down chocolate bar and PB peanut butter powder, its a well lush shake. but i got to admit, the bcaa and the pre workout just gives an energy booster.

The protein shake is fine if you account for the calories. Mine is a 1 scoop whey/casein mix, 50g greek yogurt, 3 tbsp sweetener, 1 cup ice, 3 g xantham gum and some times 5g unsweetened cocoa powder.

From a person who uses a pre-workout, its highly unnecessary for the majority of people. If you are at a point where you are lean, you hit your calories and protein targets and timed nutrients around hour workout, and then still need energy, then a pre-workout would be beneficial.

If BCAAs give you energy, its placebo. If you take it with the pre-workout, its the pre-workout caffeine giving you energy.

The threads Ann linked are started by me.

I am already slim and lean so I should ditch the pre workout, so I thank you. Damn I'm so stupid.

If you want a pre-workout, I'd recommend a better one, like Prekaged by Kaged Muscle, Legion Athletics, Outworked, Redcon Total War, Genius Pre-workout, or Cutler Nutrition. They are all adequately dosed. I am currently running Legions non caffeinated (i am a habitual caffeine drinker, so I don't need anymore).

The bigger things to worry about is your workout program and goals. So what are your goals and do you lift, and if so, what is your program?

I'm just wanting to tone up, define a bit and maintain my weight really. I cannot pay out on stuff like the brands you're on about, they sound higher priced. Maybe I should stick with the whey protein and be done with it? I know this might make me seem pathetic and bone idol... with my finances the way they are I won't be able to keep up with buying so much.

I go to the gym three times a week but I've been going everyday except Sundays last week. Then started doing things from home like corepower sit up and push up regime with yoga and a bit of weight training. I'm just doing full body workouts. I do my own thing which I've found personally works 🙂

Just to sum up what most are trying to explain to you: if money is tight (and even if it's not), then ditch ALL of those products (the creams, the pre-workout, and also the protein powder if you're getting enough already).

Spend some time looking up a structured strength training program (there are quite a few in the forum someone linked up above) (and pick up a notebook to keep a log). Get the recommended amount of protein (1 suggested formula is ~ 0.8g x ideal body weight in lbs)(supplement with protein powder if needed; another forum here has a pinned list of high protein per calorie foods). Have some coffee (or maybe a caffeine pill)(and some food if hungry) before the gym.

What you do in the gym is what is going to give you the muscle (no supplements needed). And eating less (and/or burning more doing exercise) to lose some of the fat covering them is what will give that muscle definition (AKA 'toned' appearance).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    in addition to the meat mentioned above, greek yogurt & cottage cheese are very good protein sources.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i didnt read all the replies cause its 3am. im sure what im about to say has been said but....

you can take every supplement in the world and it is not going to strengthen and tone you. those are buzz words.

if adding protein powder was all it took, most of us would look a lot different. LMAO

lift heavy. eat more protein. increase cardio to help burn off extra fat that may be covering up the muscle you do have. from what i did read, money is an issue. If you do not have a gym membership or access to weights, look up bodyweight exercises and how to use 'every day' items to increase strength.
  • Beccalouise09
    Options
    i didnt read all the replies cause its 3am. im sure what im about to say has been said but....

you can take every supplement in the world and it is not going to strengthen and tone you. those are buzz words.

if adding protein powder was all it took, most of us would look a lot different. LMAO

lift heavy. eat more protein. increase cardio to help burn off extra fat that may be covering up the muscle you do have. from what i did read, money is an issue. If you do not have a gym membership or access to weights, look up bodyweight exercises and how to use 'every day' items to increase strength.

Thank you