Why is your goal weight your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• sld_6001
    sld_6001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is because like lots of others here, it is the middle of my healthy BMI. I have no idea if it is possible cause honestly I don't think I ever weighed that amount.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I took my height then did 100lbs for the first 5 feet, then 5 lbs per inch above. I've weighed 10lbs above my goal weight before and felt I could have lost a little, so I feel its close to accurate.

Sort of a combo - I had the above advice in my head and I'm 5'11" which comes out to 155lbs. I also looked at the exact midpoint of the recommended weight for my height and got 154lb. I'm over halfway there!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The lowest Ive ever been before at an adult age is 150 but at that time just lost it by eating, didnt train at all and I would guess my fat percentage was still pretty high at that point so this time im aiming for 145.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    I am going for 24.9% body fat based on BMI. I am a female and I am 5'4 :) I am close
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I just took the recommended weight for my height and age and added 10 pounds to it. Although now I'm not so sure I have to do that last 10 pounds...I didn't know about all this high tech real info to figure stuff out when I started this, lol! :wink:
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight because it is in the middle - low end of a healthy BMI for my height.
  • mdfeller
    Options
    My first goal is 108. Then 105. It is the lower end of a healthy BMI for my height. I weighed 108 when doing Weight Watchers 2 years ago and I felt good about myself. I weighed 105 at my 6 week check up after my first son born. I met my husband 8 years ago at 97. If I make it that low, I'll stop watching calories, and working out an insane amount.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Good question! Not only is it slightly on the lower side of a healthy weight for my height, it's also the weight listed on my driver's license. Ready for that weight to finally be accurate again!

This is what I did to come up with my ultimate goal weight of 140... I want my drivers license to eventually be the same as my actual weight.

As far as my goal of 150, it's what I weighed coming out of high school/starting college and I looked and felt ok, but I was very out of shape. Now that I'm more in shape, I weigh the same but am a lot smaller.. which is fine by me!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lean body mass was approximately 108 lb when I started, and I wanted to be 20% body fat, which brought me to the goal weight of 135 lb.

Now my lean body mass is approximately 110 lb, so 135 would be more like 18.5% body fat...so I may stop a few pounds above that. We'll see.
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I chose 160 as my first goal as it's inside of the healthy BMI range. At 160 I will be going back to the Body Pod to decided on an ultimate goal. I don't see me going lower than 150 through because at one point I got down to 140 and it didn't look good on me. I will have lost a lot of weight when I get to my goal so it's also going to depend on how my body is shaping up at that point as well.
  • CChadd87
    CChadd87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 135 which is what I weighed 4 years ago on my wedding day. I was happy with how I looked and felt then and I want to be able to feel that again.
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    I don't know. I just picked a number that was between my recommended weight. I have never thought much of it.
  • JCTJCT
    Options
    My goal weight is 10% less than my total weight. Weightwatchers suggests losing 10% of your body weight as a starting point and that seems reasonable to me (even tho' I'm not doing WW). 10% would take me to the upper end of my healthy BMI, when I get there I'll reassess and aim for another 5 or 10%. Doing it bit-by-bit keeps me motivated, if I think about the total amount I need to lose it just seems overwhelming and unachievable and I'll get discouraged before I even start.

By the way, do you really have your weight on your driving licence in the USA? I'm shocked! (I'm in the UK)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I was on the college dance team at 130 lbs. 4 years later, out of college with a desk job and battling some killer depression, I am 20 lbs heavier. I would like to lose 15 of that, hopefully eventually the entire 20. I realize since I don't have much to lose, it will be pretty difficult. That's why I joined this site. I've never counted calories before, and had no idea how much I was over-eating. Quite an eye-opener.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal weight is 63kg (just shy of 10st or 139lbs) but I doubt I'll even get closer than 70kg (11st or 154lbs) which was the weight I was throughout my 20s.

I have set intermediate goals based on my starting weight.

Losing a stone (14lbs) was my first goal. - Achieved! :bigsmile:

Next goal is reaching 100kg, then 90kg and then 80kg. I think I might want to see if I can maintain at 80kg for 3-4 months before trying to lose the final 10-15kg.

I want to lose the weight slow and steady. Thus far I've achieved much more than I ever hoped for, but I'm in this for the rest of my life so I'm happy to take 3 years to achieve my goals and be FIt at 50! :smokin:
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 10% less than my total weight. Weightwatchers suggests losing 10% of your body weight as a starting point and that seems reasonable to me (even tho' I'm not doing WW). 10% would take me to the upper end of my healthy BMI, when I get there I'll reassess and aim for another 5 or 10%. Doing it bit-by-bit keeps me motivated, if I think about the total amount I need to lose it just seems overwhelming and unachievable and I'll get discouraged before I even start.

By the way, do you really have your weight on your driving licence in the USA? I'm shocked! (I'm in the UK)

We do here in Canada, too. It's useless because you choose your own weight, and many people lie. I have friends who are 200+ who have licenses that say 130 lb. Kind of a useless stat to have on the license...
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    My goal weight would be 145...that is the lowest for my height 6'1. Currently I am at 158 and plan on losing and if I get to someplace inbetween where I feel good that will be my new goal weight. Anyone else a 6'1 female? If so, what's your goal weight?
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I first selected 195 because two doctors suggested similar goals. One said 195 and the other said 200. 195 sounded so much better! :bigsmile:

After I lost some I thought I could handle having a new goal and changed it to 185. That also makes sure I'm not so close to slipping into the 200's from a bad sodium day or a period. I'm still not sure what my final goal will be. I do know that at 165 as a teen I looked pretty damn good so somewhere in the 165-185 range I'm thinking.

But after spending over 20 years in the 300's anything under 200 will be fantabulous!
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I chose mine to be 'just' in the healthy BMI range. I thought if I could set this goal and achieve it then I can easily set another one to lose further weight that will take me into the right side of the healthy BMI range and achieve that one too :)
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    what i weighed when i got married plus 5lbs for each child lol