Bike to lose weight? Nope!

Options

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    to be fair, biking can help you burn more calories....and give you more exercise calories to eat. you also get advantages in cardio and toning.

the reality is that you can't out-train bad eating....no matter what exercise you are doing. it all starts in the kitchen. if you don't have the nutrition right, no amount of exercise (biking or otherwise) is going to do much for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I'm not into bike riding because of the pressure it puts pressure on the johnson. ED is higher in athletes who bike for exercise than for those who don't.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My biking has been probably the biggest tool in my loss
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not into bike riding because of the pressure it puts pressure on the johnson. ED is higher in athletes who bike for exercise than for those who don't.

Yeah I'm not down with the ED...!
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Lol.

Nice bike though! And congrats on your success so far!

I bike to lose weight, but you're right, you can't out-exercise bad eating habits, you need to exercise AND eat well!
  • livnlite
    Options

I can't tell if you are claiming that biking is a waste of time or if biking alone is not enough. I am slightly confused.

It's only logical to think that biking alone would not be enough as a claim to fame to lose weight. Losing weight is not directly related to 'turning a wheel' or getting involved in any one particular exercise but more like calories in and calories out.

Anywho .. congrat's on your success!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    hmalin1 said it all! But I would add that it might help to start in the grocery store! I am a bad nibbler if I have junk in the house. Sigh.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Re biking and Ed, DH found that there are special seats for the bike that eliminate that problem. I won't get too graphic so just check them out on-line. Hint: they look almost like two seats....
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

Well damn horse boy! You're not supposed to sit on it! Put it in your pocket or something... geez...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you are claiming that biking is a waste of time or if biking alone is not enough. I am slightly confused.

It's only logical to think that biking alone would not be enough as a claim to fame to lose weight. Losing weight is not directly related to 'turning a wheel' or getting involved in any one particular exercise but more like calories in and calories out.

Anywho .. congrat's on your success!

You got it...he is saying biking/exercise alone isn't enough. If you keep making bad food choices and stuffing your face, you can still gain weight.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Nice blog ... good points
    And well done on the weight loss:smile:
  • Jenmilleroz
    Options
    I agree you have to address the fuel you put into your body!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Oh get yourself a gel saddle and some decent pants or cycle shots.

I know plenty of cyclists and they've all been really fit and none of them had eating disorders. I don't know if I'd be getting the essential exercise I need to compliment my new food and nutrition plan with just walking alone if I didn't have my bike. I could work out, but it doesn't fit into my way of life as much as cycling does. Plus the bike was a heck of a lot better investment and roi than joining a gym :bigsmile:

But great post and blog nonetheless, OP :flowerforyou:
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can get noseless bike saddles that usualy helps with the ED problem.
  • 4me2day
    4me2day Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love biking. I know it isn't enough though. Gotta eat "well" too.
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of cyclists and they've all been really fit and none of them had eating disorders. I don't know if I'd be getting the essential exercise I need to compliment my new food and nutrition plan with just walking alone if I didn't have my bike. I could work out, but it doesn't fit into my way of life as much as cycling does. Plus the bike was a heck of a lot better investment and roi than joining a gym :bigsmile:
    LOL!!! I think the poster who mentioned 'ED' meant 'erectile dysfunction,' not 'eating disorder ;)
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that riding alone isn't enough to lose weight, at least more than temporarily. You really do have to train yourself to eat well and not put crap in that acts like poor fuel.

That being said, my bike is a great tool in helping me stay active, build lean muscle, and it gets me back some of those all important exercise calories.

S
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Oh get yourself a gel saddle and some decent pants or cycle shots.

But great post and blog nonetheless, OP :flowerforyou:

Erectile dysfunction dear :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    [LOL!!! I think the poster who mentioned 'ED' meant 'erectile dysfunction,' not 'eating disorder ;)
    Well I just took a wild stab in the dark here... ED = Early Death, Eating Disorder, Etheral Dogma, talking horse???

Please, call a spade a spade :bigsmile:

... all the cyclists I know are also fathers ... and I certainl don't need any blue pills :laugh:
  • mikeeats
    mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not saying that riding a bike won't allow you to lose weight. More or less I'm saying get out and ride, run, jump rope or go to the gym. Do what makes you happy but eat responsibly with the assistance of an awesome aid like MFP. Biking turns my world right-side up everytime I go out for a ride. Mentally it makes me whole again, but no matter how much I would ride my bike in years past, I wouldn't drop any weight. I struggled with my weight and the weight and beat myself up over it. I would eat whatever I wanted when I was hungry. I usually didn't stop until I was very full. I think most of us that don't understand the concept of MFP will never get it. I see this lack of education becoming an epidemic in our country that will cost us all in the very near term. Both financially and with loss of loved ones before their time.