Single parent friends?

Options
Hello, to whoever is reading this!

Bear with me if you want to hear a strangers story on the internet.

A little over a year ago, age of 25, I changed my life by packing up my apartment & driving my two kids to California from Missouri. In 2019 I had already left my kids' bio dad and gotten an apartment a state away from him. I thought that was the end of my escape plan from an emotionally abusive relationship with an alcoholic. Guess what? It turns out it isn't that simple, now he had drifted to my new safe space and ruined my sense of security there. I was desperate to get out and leaped into moving to California without much pondering.

This taking place in the middle of a pandemic added abundant stressors. I found myself in a new scene, knowing no one besides my best friend, my entire family a 24-hour drive away, and no job. I stopped caring about myself and let all the hard work I put in the previous year go to waste. I was at one of the lowest points in my life. I ultimately found a desirable job & began finding myself once more.

A year later, I am more established in my new surroundings and equipped to focus on my health. During my Great Depression, I found myself weighing more than I ever had before - 270. I despised myself for gaining the weight back. I previously lost 60 pounds making the reality of failure enormously hard to process. Anyways, I am currently back down to 215 since starting my journey over at the beginning of this year. There is nothing more I want than to crush my health goals. That is where you guys and MFP come into play.

I desperately need a support system that understands the time restrictions of having kids and the battle of keeping on track through depressive episodes. I'd love to find buddies on here and build relationships by holding each other accountable. Add me & tell me your stories if you have space for new friends!

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,263 Member
    Options
    I have been a single parent since 2005 ... I also live in California ....Congratulations for getting out of a toxic relationship (I have been there to many times) 2nd congrats on your weight loss ... you are doing awesome ...You are more than welcome to add me..wishing you much more success :)
  • mama2twoluvbugs
    mama2twoluvbugs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would love to connect! I am a solo mama of 6 ranging from 20(next month) to 5.5 months old. Work full time and breastfeed, so up every hour all night, I totally get too busy to even sleep let alone make time for myself!
  • Skyewalker327
    Skyewalker327 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would love to connect! I am a solo mama of 6 ranging from 20(next month) to 5.5 months old. Work full time and breastfeed, so up every hour all night, I totally get too busy to even sleep let alone make time for myself!

Girl!!!!! You are super woman. I hope you can find some time in the week to have a little time for yourself. You deserve that. I am going to add you. I can't wait to cheer you on through your journey.
  • Benstowe_fx
    Benstowe_fx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been a single parent for 11 years .... my husband cheated and left...but I'm now thankful he did.... because I've never been more happier with my little princess
  • Benstowe_fx
    Benstowe_fx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I added you....we single moms need to start a club lol😂😂😂😂
  • Mattwilliams0271
    Mattwilliams0271 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Single dad of a lovely daughter.. work in a factor in NY.... always busy....pick my kid from school...then rush off to work again... most times pay for a babysitter.... come late every night.... make dinner for myself and my kid... I've never had the time to take my daughter on an outing trip... always busy with work
  • Skyewalker327
    Options
    @Benstowe_fx sometimes the trash takes itself out! I'm glad you are able to find happiness with your daughter. I am so happy I had my girls to keep me grounded when going through all the ups and downs of life!
  • Skyewalker327
    Options
    @Mattwilliams0271 It is so hard stretching yourself thin! I work full time as well and am the sole person of pick up/drop off and everything else that being a parent entails. Just remember to make time for her even if it is just 30 minutes here and there playing her favorite game or activity. Those are the things she will remember!!
  • Softballdad83
    Softballdad83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a single dad since my daughter was 4. She’s 10 now. Plays competitive travel softball. So between work, ball practice, private lessons and tournaments. We found ourselves eating fast food almost every night. I hit a low point and realized I weighed the most I ever have. 308. I’ve started eating healthier and back in the gym in the mornings. 2 days strong now!
  • WSOX37
    WSOX37 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Strong work everyone
  • mama2twoluvbugs
    mama2twoluvbugs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Solo mom of 6 here, work full time, it plays a huge role in weight loss and exercise. I do not get adequate sleep and anytime I'm not working I have a whole troop of tiny people relying on me for survival, I do not have a village so there isn't an option of going to the gym and leaving them for an hour or 2 a few days a week to focus on me, mostly there isn't even time to really prepare healthy meal options...I'm busy from 5 am, till 10 pm at least every single day and then still up hourly to breastfeed my littlest...its ALOT.
  • Skyewalker327
    Options
    I’ve been a single dad since my daughter was 4. She’s 10 now. Plays competitive travel softball. So between work, ball practice, private lessons and tournaments. We found ourselves eating fast food almost every night. I hit a low point and realized I weighed the most I ever have. 308. I’ve started eating healthier and back in the gym in the mornings. 2 days strong now!

The convenience of fast food when you are running low on time as a single parent is too easy!! I admittedly fell into the same thing as I'm sure many of us have. I'm glad you have changed that and are modeling a healthier lifestyle for her. You rock!!!
  • Skyewalker327
    Options
    Solo mom of 6 here, work full time, it plays a huge role in weight loss and exercise. I do not get adequate sleep and anytime I'm not working I have a whole troop of tiny people relying on me for survival, I do not have a village so there isn't an option of going to the gym and leaving them for an hour or 2 a few days a week to focus on me, mostly there isn't even time to really prepare healthy meal options...I'm busy from 5 am, till 10 pm at least every single day and then still up hourly to breastfeed my littlest...its ALOT.

Exactly! We are lucky if we get the time to eat a meal let alone consider its nutritional values haha! You are doing great and know you are not alone. Being a solo parent is H A R D. I will say I do not miss the breastfeeding in the slightest.....thoughts go out to you mama lol