Does anyone here not exercise?

Replies

• I have a bad back which causes pain every day. I must take medication to help me function daily. Then I have a shoulder injury, that I am suppose to be seeing the Ortho dr for possible surgery. I have had two knee surgeries, so I don't do all that I feel that I should beable to. So I just get out and walk, that is mainly all I do. Besides vacuuming sometimes or sweeping. I need a house keeper!

I understand that knee problem as that is very touchy and you must really limit your exercise. I had to wear an ace bandage to give my knees support when I was working and on my feet all that time. I hope you can wear those or a brace to give you the support so you can function for your daily activities that you can do.

Another thing that I feel works, if you aren't able to get all the exercise that you must. When you lower your calories, I feel there is a good chance that you will lose weight. Drink plenty of water and atleast then you will be having to walk to the bathroom!! May the Lord give you the strength you need to endure.

S.W. 234-Aug. 5, 2011
    C.W. 227
    G.W. <145 (whatever works for me, I'm not sure!)
  • I promise not to lecture...but I do exercise. Weight loss is possible without exercise but you really have be careful with calorie count.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Due to physical limitations from illness, I can do very little exercise. I do what I can like parking as far away from the door at the grocery store and other places to do a little extra. Sometimes I can do my stationary bike for only about 10 minutes before my legs go numb. Honestly, I feel like not being able to move like i once did before the strokes and heart attack is why I have gained 45 pounds in the last 5 years. Anyway, I do so little exercise that I don't enter it into my log. I have lost only 2 pounds but at least I am not gaining. I am doing all I can to stick to the eating plan and have done pretty good. I am happy to find this site because honestly, for 5 years I have been telling every doctor I have that I need help to quit gaining weight and they just look at me like put the fork down. Here's the thing - I have watched my weight all of my life and I am not a big eater nor do I eat really bad stuff a lot - just a special event now and again like fried chicken and mashed potatos on my birthday. For 45 pounds, I feel cheated - I think I should have been able to down a couple of buckets of fried chicken to gain that kind of weight and yes I am from the South!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I didn't exercise for the whole month of June due to some abdominal pain. I still lost 10 lbs. But I found that if I eased myself back into the exercise that it actually helped with my condition. I have arthritis too, but the abdominal pain was from female issues.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    I do exercise, but was 'on hold" after a back injury on and off for about 2 months. When I could exercise it was VERY limited and short amt of times. You can lose weight without exercising...it just makes it easier to lose while exercising.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    I have both osteo arthritis and RA, exercise was really hard at first - I just started with walking. As the weight came off I added more. BOTH arthritis types have shown significant improvement. DO WHAT YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN, every minute helps.
  • JerseyGirl5970
    JerseyGirl5970 Posts: 17 Member
    I can't excerise because of knee problems. I have lost up to 35-40 pounds in the past with no excerise. I start physical therapy next week hopefully things will get better and I can excercise using pilates bands etc light stretching and strength building I can't see any real cardio going on at this point lol... Hang in there once you loose the weight it may change some of your pain symptoms. I know my know my knee pains have increased with the 35 pounds I manage to pack on in the past year. Keep logging - I just started my personal journal this Tuesday and MFP journal today. I can already see what things make the scale move up or down for me so it will help us all to make better food choices.
  • EXERCISING self-control of what I eat is the most effective form- and something ANYONE can do.
    I exercise minimally but not because I do it on purpose-
    I "sneak' it in- cuz if my body finds out, it instantly REBELS against the idea...
    so I started parking my car further and further away from the store each time, and started walking the cart back INTO the store-
    instead of leaving it in the closest cart rack in the parking lot...stuff like that.
    Gotta outsmart the lazy sloth who dwells deep within.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    You know my answer. 60 lbs down with almost no exercise. Now that the weather is cooling off I'm getting some walking in but you can lose weight without exercising. Just do what you can when able. Walking to the car was it for me many days and sometimes I went weeks barely doing more than that.

Find gentle things like stretching to help stay limber, short strolls, dance for 3 minutes. When you have a good day you can do a bit more.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Not a direct answer to your question, but I have to recommend "Strong Women and Men Beat Arthritis" by Dr. Miriam E. Nelson (http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Women-Men-Beat-Arthritis/dp/0399148523)... TONS of information on diet and exercise to BEAT arthritis (osteo, RA, and fybro).
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Honestly, exercise is only 10% of the equation. Food Quality and Proper Nutritoinal habits are the other 90%.

You can workout til the cows come home but if you're not eating right, you won't get sustainable results.

Fibromyalgia is one of the toughest to work around, but if you're doing what you can, that's the best you can do and can't be faulted or criticized for it.

Nutritoinally speaking however, there's lots you can do and I wish you well on your journey. :-)

Yep, agree with this wise advice as well. i wish it wasn't the case, because i love food and would prefer to exercise my way to my goal, but food is it. when i am on top of my food, i get results, and when i slide back, just that little bit, a couple of hundred extra calories, and i can exercise til the cows come home and that scale won't budge.

exercising makes the process quicker, but the food is what it's all about for weight loss. toning and muscle, that's a different story. i hope you have plenty of sucess in meeting your goals.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    I don't do intensive workout. I just want to see how much weight I could lose by simply counting input.
    However I do try to move around, walking, using stairs, etc.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    I do not want a lecture on the importance of exercise. I KNOW it's important. People need to understand that not everyone CAN exercise.

I have Fibromyalgia and arthritis. I do what I can, but I can't do it consistently, no matter how much I want to.

So who else here keeps a food diary, but rarely or never exercises?

I re-injured a bad knee and hip and had to stop exercising completely for a few months. I focused solely on the quality of my diet and lost a lot of weight... despite not exercising. It can be done! Once you feel well enough, try to get some light walking in. Search Google or YouTube for exercises you can do with arthritis. Yoga is also a good way to relieve arthritis pain.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    I lost 25 pounds without exercise in ONE day! I named her Makayla.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member

I have Fibromyalgia and arthritis. I do what I can, but I can't do it consistently, no matter how much I want to.

My best friend has these conditions, as well as an immunodeficiency disorder.

Not a lecture at all (I wouldn't presume! :-) ) but just a suggestion. She manages her pain entirely with exercise. She was on pretty heavy duty painkillers. Saw a physio, and a personal trainer, built a programme and got going, starting gently and building up to more vigorous work. She's done incredibly well with it.

I know it's not what you're after in this thread, and I completely respect that. But it might be worth considering.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    *bump*
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    I do not want a lecture on the importance of exercise.
    Here's the thing...you don't get to control who replies and what they say. Just sayin'.

Why reply? If you don't have anything positive to add, just be quiet. Just sayin'.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    I dont exercise much, due to dislocating kneecaps. I could be standing, pivot turn for something to the side of my body, and I'm on the ground, and trying like mad to push a kneecap back into place. I have to be very careful in a lot of things that I do because of this issue.

Today was my first day on the elliptical in almost 3 weeks.

you are a yorkie aren't you

No... but I have a basset hound, and his knee has gone out before. LOL.... I told him he takes after his Mama. :)
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    That last post out of the way, I'll say, no, I don't exercise NEARLY as much as I should. I have a really hard time finding something I don't get bored with. I'm looking though!
  • mikeeats
    mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
    Outstanding advice and I was that person last year and many years before that where even during the summer months, I was riding my bike 150 miles a week and not dropping any weight. Until I joined MFP, I didn't understand why what and how much you put in your body made a difference. I still eat what I want but just don't eat as much. I ride half as much as I have in past years and have had much success with calorie management.
    Any movement or excersise is vital though for blood circulation and reducution in other more severe issues such as heart desease. Either way, move as much as you can for as long as you can. Every litte bit helps. I do wish you all the best with your goals.