Dairy and gluten free protein

Luciacflo
Luciacflo Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Hi has anyone found a good protein shake that is dairy free and gluten free? I have Kachava but it has lots of calories compared to my old dairy protien powder. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Do you mean a premade shake or protein powder?

On True Nutrition's website, you can customize your protein using any base you want, including pea protein and brown rice powder (which I don't recommend). It is relatively cheap, too.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I like pumpkin seed powder for a protein boost.
    (Dairy and gluten free…)

8fk2p82pbyec.jpeg
  • Luciacflo
    Perfect thank you!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    I don't need to avoid dairy for any medical or ethical reasons, but have tried plant based PP as I am interested in reducing animal-based consumption. I've tried many brands of pea protein and just don't care for them. I am intrigued by pumpkin seed PP.

@Safari_Gal: what's the brand?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Just an FYI: I just got the True Nutrition cookie butter flavor with pea protein. While the texture is a bit grainy as I think is the case with all pea protein, the taste is really good! As a bonus, it's sweetened with Stevia and only lists "natural ingredients" in addition to the pea protein and stevia. I also added ashwagandha to mine, and there's a lot of other things you can add in. I'd highly recommend checking out their website.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    My husband recently started drinking Silk Ultra and really likes it. It is 20g of protein per cup (240ml) and only 160 calories for the original. They have unsweeted and chocolate versions as well.

https://silk.com/plant-based-products/plant-based-protein-beverages-2/silk-ultra/
  • Luciacflo
    edited October 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't need to avoid dairy for any medical or ethical reasons, but have tried plant based PP as I am interested in reducing animal-based consumption. I've tried many brands of pea protein and just don't care for them. I am intrigued by pumpkin seed PP.

@Safari_Gal: what's the brand?

I'm trying
    Sprout Living
    Pumpkin seed Protien
    it only has cold pressed pumpkin seed as its ingredient.
  • Luciacflo
    My husband recently started drinking Silk Ultra and really likes it. It is 20g of protein per cup (240ml) and only 160 calories for the original. They have unsweeted and chocolate versions as well.

https://silk.com/plant-based-products/plant-based-protein-beverages-2/silk-ultra/

Thank you I'll have to try this as well!
  • Reonnn
    Reonnn Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2021
    a cheap carton of egg whites and a low cal sugar free syrup is what i use when bodybuilding sounds gross af but it really dasnt taste bad with the syrup its like 300cals for a good 58g of protien i use the small 500g cartons. plus its safe since the egg whites in the carton are pasteurized
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    I use PEScience vegan protein! Its delicious and also bakes really well. They sell samples and tubs. I received a coupon code for 15% off- type in SCRIPTS at checkout.

https://pescience.com/collections/protein/products/select-protein-vegan-series
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Reonnn wrote: »
    a cheap carton of egg whites and a low cal sugar free syrup is what i use when bodybuilding sounds gross af but it really dasnt taste bad with the syrup its like 300cals for a good 58g of protien i use the small 500g cartons. plus its safe since the egg whites in the carton are pasteurized

I can’t think of anything less appetizing but Google
    shows this is a real thing (with pasteurized whites as @Reonnn says).

Do they have any taste?
  • Reonnn
    Reonnn Posts: 21 Member
    edited November 2021
    Reonnn wrote: »

I can’t think of anything less appetizing but Google
    shows this is a real thing (with pasteurized whites as @Reonnn says).

Do they have any taste?

ITS BASICLY JUST water so adding a low cal choc syrup to it it just tastes like a choc milk only 58g of protien and 300 cals i learned it from a bodybuilder at my gym its not bad at all if you find the right syrup...... the hardcore pepole do it with out syrup but i cant do that i tried and gag reflex went off cuz thick water. but the choc syrup a must try

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm celiac and my wife is allergic to cow dairy, so we really, really limit any dairy (we might do some occasional goat or sheep cheese, but that's it).

Lentils are a complete protein. We also eat a lot of raw and cooked greens. Around two months ago, we started trying to do raw green salads every Sunday. We make a huge salad and it lasts for days.

My son loves True Nutrition protein and buys all the time. Sunwarrior Warrior Blends are great. My wife loves them. They are grain free. Uses pea protein, Goji Berry and Hemp (all fermented and organic). With the bonus points you get on their website direct, it's fairly reasonable -- around $1 a serving. Very tasty too.

Another thing my daughter, who is mostly vegan (she might eat a tiny bit of fish on occasion), turned me onto is Maca Powder. Being celiac, I really missed malt powder. Maca, just a bit, is a superfood powder and it tastes like malt powder. OMG, frozen banana, some Sunwarrior Protein powder (like Chocolate), peanut butter and ice with some DF milk and it's like a malt. Amazing. We might use PB powder to save calories. My wife has one of these daily. Her other favorites are Berry ones (Berry flavor with frozen mixed berries). The other one she loves is frozen cherries with Chocolate protein. She adds some Amazing Grass to them. Takes away from the taste a bit but fantastic for you.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    I like paleoethics protein powders, they’re non-dairy animal based, gluten-free.