Pregnant and eating too much

Options
n_green_l
n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
edited October 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm worried I'm going to put on too much weight pregnant, I'm currently 9 and a half weeks pregnant and when I went to midwife appt at 8 weeks I was still the same weight pre-pregnancy. Since I got pregnant I usually feel nauseous which only seems to go away when unfortunately eating carbs. Today I felt fine and for some reason been extra hungry and I have eaten:
Mcdonalds breakfast with extra hash brown
3 donuts
Chicken curry, with naan, rice and poppadoms
Fried chicken and fries
Three sugary drinks
Grapes

I'm trying to go above a slight deficit - maintenance calories - is what I've eaten today really bad and make me start gaining. I feel disgusting and this probably isn't good for baby.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Is this your first pregnancy? All of that seems pretty normal. My wife actually ate a bunch of weird *kitten* that I would never think of as appetizing. You're eating for two and you need calories to grow a baby and should be gaining weight. Your Dr or midwife should be letting you know if you're on track weight wise. Also, carbs are just one of the three macro-nutrients...they aren't the devil or anything. There isn't anything wrong with carbs.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    AFAIK your obstetrician and rest of your pregnancy support team should be able to discuss weight level guidelines and goals in relation to how far along you are and the weight level you started from.

Regardless of the above, if you've been unable to eat normally for a while it is far from surprising that on a day that you are able to eat you will compensate in the opposite direction.

Plus all the rest mentioned above.

Also look around for posts that discuss longer term weight level tracking as opposed to responding to data from a single weigh in..
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar drinks. Snack on rice crackers. Drink heaps of chilled wster and fill up ob healthy protein..milk eggs..wholegrain carbs..fruit .vege
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    n_green_l wrote: »
    I'm worried I'm going to put on too much weight pregnant, I'm currently 9 and a half weeks pregnant and when I went to midwife appt at 8 weeks I was still the same weight pre-pregnancy. Since I got pregnant I usually feel nauseous which only seems to go away when unfortunately eating carbs. Today I felt fine and for some reason been extra hungry and I have eaten:
    Mcdonalds breakfast with extra hash brown
    3 donuts
    Chicken curry, with naan, rice and poppadoms
    Fried chicken and fries
    Three sugary drinks
    Grapes

I'm trying to go above a slight deficit - maintenance calories - is what I've eaten today really bad and make me start gaining. I feel disgusting and this probably isn't good for baby.

Do I read this right that a week and a half ago, you hadn't gained any weight? It sounds like you are stressing unnecessarily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Is this your first pregnancy? All of that seems pretty normal. My wife actually ate a bunch of weird *kitten* that I would never think of as appetizing. You're eating for two and you need calories to grow a baby and should be gaining weight. Your Dr or midwife should be letting you know if you're on track weight wise. Also, carbs are just one of the three macro-nutrients...they aren't the devil or anything. There isn't anything wrong with carbs.

You don't actually need extra calories for the first 6 months, and only need like 200 extra a day for the final three.

Meh...having seen my wife go through pregnancy with our two boys, there's enough stress and *kitten* going on without being a calorie freak and just stressing about more *kitten* that is unnecessary. She gained weight at an appropriate rate throughout, so what she did seemed perfectly fine to me and her Dr didn't have any complaints.

At what other point in life would my wife find a peanut butter sandwich topped with pickles and sardines and washed down with a glass of eggnog as something that "hits the spot"...just enjoy the friggin' ride. It isn't necessary to go through life all, "but the calories" all the dang time.

Also, nothing I've ever read, nor my wife's Dr. while she was pregnant agree with anything you just said.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I had morning sickness (all day) for the first trimester. Bottom line, you’re growing a human being. You want both your baby, and yourself to be healthy. You’ll gain weight. Don’t stress over these few months. Listen to what your health care professionals tell you. Congratulations and best wishes for a healthy, happy pregnancy. Enjoy this time!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    (Mom of 1 here) First, Congratulations!
    As others have said, you really don't need extra calories during early pregnancy (eating at maintenance is good). First trimester, do your best to eat mostly healthy, but whatever doesn't make you nauseous. I practically lived on clementines during first trimester, and curry/strong flavors tended to sit better than the bland foods commonly recommended. Yes, you want to eat as healthy as possible; no, you don't want to gain too much weight, but constant stressing out is probably more harm to your baby than a few donuts. Here's some info from CDC on how much weight you should expect to gain depending on your pre-pregnancy weight (https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pregnancy-weight-gain.htm) and also a "What to Expect" page with similar info (https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/health-and-safety/pregnancy-weight-gain-what-to-expect_1466). It can be a tough hurdle mentally if you've been focused on weight loss to accept that it's ok/healthy to GAIN weight. The toughest for me was 2nd trimester because the nausea was finally over and I knew it was ok to gain, but I ate way too much junk food. I did end up with gestational diabetes, but at the end of the day, my little guy was totally healthy and LOVES vegetables (eats green beans, peas, carrots like popcorn) and his favorite fruit is apples.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You listed fast food, fried food, donuts, and sugary drinks. Try to eat healthier, less calorie dense foods for yourself and the baby. Your body doesn’t need extra calories the first trimester and just a few hundred more the second and third trimesters. Pregnancy is not an excuse to eat for two.

I just had a baby. He is 3 months old. I had gestational diabetes so had to watch my diet carefully but even before I was diagnosed, I just ate my regular healthy diet and ate at maintenance and gained 25 lbs and a lot of that was water weight since I swelled up near the end. If carbs help your nausea, try eating fruit. Ask your doctor how much they recommend you to gain during your pregnancy.
  • IThinkImDumb
    IThinkImDumb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly, in your first trimester, eat whatever you can keep down and try not to stress. Take your supplements daily. Your baby will be fine.

In my first trimester I had the strongest aversions and constant nausea. All I could face was carbs in varying forms. Sometimes I would eat toast for breakfast, a buttered panini for lunch and chips for tea, because that's all I could face without throwing up.

You will get posts about fruit and veg etc but the reality of pregnancy is so different for each individual woman. I would have loved to have eaten more nutritious food but simply couldn't face it.

Congratulations and go easy on yourself. The rules go out of the window with pregnancy. Give your body what it's asking for. I'm sure you aren't having the same as today every day and to be honest, it sounds amazing. Congratulations!
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, no I don't have fast food everyday. My body is craving carbs and seems to keep nausea at bay, fruits I'm okay with such as apples, all citrus fruit and berries. I've cut out the coke and drinking sparkling water with lime slices or elderflower cordial instead which seems okay. I was just really stressing as before pregnancy I always worried about my weight and always tried to eat minimal carbs but a salad is the last thing I want to be honest. My midwife has no concerns with my weight currently so I'll try to stress less and where eat healthy and make better swaps. Just been hard with constant nausea and wanting carbs.