Late Afternoon/Evening Binging

Options
Anyone else here a current or former late afternoon/evening binger? It's my worst time; I eat so sensibly throughout the day and then 6 pm rolls around and I turn into Vacuum Lady, inhaling small buildings with a single breath. I joke but it's true...and makes me sad that I can't seem to control/love myself enough to stop :(

I'm really interested in hearing what former evening bingers have done to overcome the night time hunger-beast within! Please give me some tips or ideas on how you mentally got yourself onboard your own program.

Replies

• Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    bump
    I have same problem would love to hear what others are saying to.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I was like this for a while too. Until I read more on intermittent fasting. It has helped me so much so that I am more satisfied at night :]

I get up at 5-6 am do not eat until 2 pm where I have 20% of my calories, workout at 5, eat 50% of my calories post workout, then eat the rest an hour before bed time
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself some calories for that time of day...pre-plan your day so you can have a snack. Also, if you have no cals left keep your hands busy or get moving. I tend to do a lot of running at night just so I keep myself out of the kitchen.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was like that too. Kind of still am. But luckily the occasional binge doesn't throw me off.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening, by the time i've finished and then had a bath etc there's less time to fall into temptation lol, also with my workout fresh in mind I don't want to undo all my hard work!!
  • Sergio1970
    Options
    Are you also eating snacks during the day?

1 thing I do when I get the ugre to graze is to login here and see how hard i'm working.
    But other then that I try to snack on something healthy like carrots or hard boiled egg white (which I keep on hand in the refer)
    I also drink alot of water.
  • tinkerbella01
    Options
    I struggle with the same issue, but I find if I have something to keep my hands busy and less likely to go for food.
    For example, I cross stitch, so when I start to crave food I tell my self I have to finish up to a certain point, by the time I get there I've forgotten about the craving.

Hope that helps!
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am very guilty of afternoon binges. I think my reason is that I am so busy during the day. The evening is still busy, but I'm home and in the kitchen for a large part of the evening. The kids do homework at the table, we eat dinner, then I'm cleaning up. I have a ritual now that has helped me overcome those urges...I eat dinner, I have 2 pieces of sugar free candy, then I pop a piece of gum in my mouth and move to another part of the house. So far, so good. The last binge was Labor Day.
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    good point!
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Are you also eating snacks during the day?

1 thing I do when I get the ugre to graze is to login here and see how hard i'm working.
    But other then that I try to snack on something healthy like carrots or hard boiled egg white (which I keep on hand in the refer)
    I also drink alot of water.

i do eat snacks; i'm also a vegetarian and i love whole, healthy foods. it doesn't seem to matter whether it's "naughty" foods or "healthier" foods; when i get into the binging frame-of-mind i take no prisoners
  • YouBettaWerq96
    Options
    Same here! ohmygosh I thought I was the only one who ate healthy but killed it when it came to binge eating! ugh I hate it but its the truth
  • love2beskinee
    love2beskinee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    *Bump from a fellow night-time binger
  • herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to be dreadful at after dinner snacking but have got a pretty good handle on it by:
    a) going for a walk shortly after dinner. This usually ends up being between 30 mins and 1 hour - it takes me away from the ability to snack, but also earns me a few calories so I can have a little something when I get back if I still want it
    b) drinking a mug of mint tea when I want to snack - there's no way I'd want to eat anything at the same time because the mint flavour is so strong and I find it fills me up and again makes me think twice about wanting to snack

But mainly I just make sure I'm keeping within my calorie allowance - if I have the calories, I have no problem eating something. If I don't, I won't eat it (because let's be honest, if I've had my calories for the day it's unlikely I need any more food!) - or the above will help!
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For me, I need to eat a bigger lunch and snacks in order to not be so hungry at night. Even if I'm not super hungry in the afternoon, I usually have a good lunch. I've noticed that if I don't eat that much, I starve at night. So, I eat most of my calories before 4 pm. Works for me!
  • lulusmom
    Options
    I do my best to save 200 calories for evening snacking.
  • 23tjbk
    23tjbk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try eating more often but smaller amounts during the day...
    6-8am - eat breakfast
    10am - eat a snack
    12-1pm - eat lunch
    3pm - eat a snack
    5-6pm - eat dinner
    8pm - eat a snack

This type of eating will level out your blood sugar so your not spiking/diving, and your body won't "crave" so much
    (At least this is what a doctor told me)