In your opinion...Sweet Tea?

Options

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    These are the only dangers of Stevia I could find:

Reproductive Difficulties

Stevia, or the singular stevioside, at least in some studies, seems to affect the male reproductive organs. This was the conclusion of a group of European scientists in early 2006.

•The study showed that when male rats were fed high doses of stevioside for 22 months, sperm production was severely reduced, the weight of the seminal vesicles declined, and there was an increase of cell proliferation in their testicles. In time, this could easily cause infertility or other reproductive problems.
    •In another study, female hamsters were fed large amounts of a derivative of stevioside called steviol. Here the scientists found that the female hamsters had fewer and smaller offspring.

Cancer

There have also, at least in preliminary studies, been links to cancer.

•In the lab, steviol can be converted into a mutagenic compound. This, in turn, may promote cancer by causing mutations in the cells' genetic material, or DNA.
    •Scientists are divided on the issue of the cancer link, and remain adamant that further testing, studies, and reviews need to be conducted in order to resolve the issue.

Energy Metabolism

Studies indicate that large amounts of stevioside can interfere with the absorption of carbohydrates in animals and disrupt the conversion of food into energy within cells. Scientists are particularly worried about this development, especially as it pertains to children.
  • RRB_Fan
    RRB_Fan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to hold yourself accountable....that's why we are all on here...with that said:

I like sweet tea just as much as the next person...but when you add it to your diary and see how many calories you wasted on it, it wasn't worth it to me. I don't like the bitter taste of plain tea but can't drink water or powerade zero all day everyday...So, I load up my un-sweetened tea with lemon or lime. Also, IDK, if you're making your own sweet tea or going through the drive thru some where but for example Whataburger's large sweet tea is well over 400 calories. It takes me three miles of walking on the track to burn 400 calories.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Go with an artificial sweetener. And vodka. Yummmm.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you are really craving it, drink it and log it!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    What's with the utterly useless responses regarding vodka?

:huh:
  • FitBridget
    FitBridget Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried icing an herbal tea? Some of the fruit ones are naturally quite sweet, you may find that you don't need to add sugar. I love sweet iced tea in the summer, but I had to quit it when I decided the only calories I was willing to drink were alcoholic. I find the iced herbals teas are a nice substitution. I particularly like Passion tea and Tangerine.
  • solpwr
    Options

Useless to you maybe.

Other's may find the response useful.

I sometimes find responses useful if they make me smile. Or think.

Like pondering the difference in calories between sugar and alcohol. And whether I would consume the empty calories either way, and under what circumstances. A response like that makes me think about those things. Even though the post did not specifically outline that. The mind can be a wonderful thing.

Does this help answer your ::HUH::? And why are you calling out the responses that included vodka? Why not just let it pass if you felt they were "utterly useless"?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Useless to you maybe.

Like pondering the difference in calories between sugar and alcohol. And whether I would consume the empty calories either way, and under what circumstances. A response like that makes me think about those things. Even though the post did not specifically outline that. The mind can be a wonderful thing.

Does this help answer your ::HUH::? And why are you calling out the responses that included vodka? Why not just let it pass if you felt they were "utterly useless"?

Cuz I was in a bad mood and felt like taking it out on the internet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • solpwr
    Options

Useless to you maybe.

Cuz I was in a bad mood and felt like taking it out on the internet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gotcha! That makes perfect sense! :smile:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I'd add vodka and enjoy it even more... then log it.

:laugh:
  • JuliePete
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Unfortuanately, I cannot use artificial sweetners. Ever since I had my gall bladder removed, they really "mess me up". I konw that is probably TMI, but wanting you to know where I am coming from. I haven't tried the stevia and don't know much about it.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Add me to the drink it and log it crowd! You'll either work it into your calorie allowance, or you'll be so horrified with the high calories that you'll stop wanting it so badly.

That's what happened to me. I love sweet tea too!

Edit to add: Stevia is a naturally occurring sweetener, but doesn't have calories like sugar. That said, it can have an anise/licorice flavor that some people find off-putting. I like it, personally, but I like both those flavors normally. I've heard that Truvia doesn't have that aftertaste, but it's expensive.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand sweet tea, but if I did like it I would make just make my own at home and slowly lower the sugar until I was consuming a more reasonable amount. Artificial sweeteners give me migraines and stevia tastes like window cleaner to me, so I choose to use palm sugar instead of cane sugar in most things. Whatever you do, you should definitely log it though.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    really..sweet tea only has like 30- 40 calories
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A big can of Peace Tea is 150 calories. Love it.

And I think Stevia tastes like batteries. Wtf kind of brands are you guys using!? I want to like the stuff but I just can't. It makes everything it touches taste like butt.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I grew up with a pitcher of sweet tea in my fridge everyday and love, love, love sweet tea. I ALWAYS log it when I do drink it because then, I think, eh, do I really need it. One thing I do when I'm at my parents, tea still always in the fridge, is pour a glass half tea, half water. still sweet tea taste, less calories. At home though, I have started brewing green mint tea, it's refreshing, and no calories and doesn't need any sweetener. I buy a box of spearmint tea and one of green tea. I brew 2 bags of mint and one of green together (I use my coffee maker and brew about 6 cups, putting the bags in the pot). Pour the tea into the pitcher and add water to fill. It's yummy.

Hope this is helpful! :smile:
  • Lindaj44
    Lindaj44 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love sweet tea too! I'll make one glass of sweet tea and add one tablespoon of sugar which is 45 calories. I always count it when I drink tea.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Try ginger tea. You can make it at home. Buy some gingerrrot at the local store. Grate it with a cheese grater and put in a tea cup. Boil water and add to the cup(like tea.)

It does not need sugar. It's very flavorful on it's own.

:wink:
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you drink it, you should record it. You are only cheating yourself!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    really..sweet tea only has like 30- 40 calories

Maybe if you're making it at home. The premade stuff typically has WAY more calories than that. I think a medium sweet tea from McD's is somewhere around 200 calories, if I remember correctly.