Coming to grips with BMI

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    For this purpose, probably one of the so-called "body fat calculators" (often "Navy body fat calculators") is another thing that will give you a screening metric. Is it 'accurate'? No. But it's another thing that's close for most people, and it takes a little different perspective from BMI, waist/height ratio, waist circumference, BIA scale, etc. If the majority of those say you're overweight or obese . . . you're probably overweight or obese. Not guaranteed, but very probable.

There are also "ideal weight calculators" on some sites, but I'm more skeptical of those . . . even though they should suggest I should weigh approximately what I now weigh. 😆
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    And in that pic from 6 years ago I was 212 pounds - about a 28 BMI - again overweight and heading into obese.

I never claimed that at my current weight and measurement I was not overweight, or not obese. Please don't conflate one piece of info with another.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    And in that pic from 6 years ago I was 212 pounds - about a 28 BMI - again overweight and heading into obese.

I never claimed that at my current weight and measurement I was not overweight, or not obese. Please don't conflate one piece of info with another.

What is the point you are trying to make, then? What is your "holy hell" about?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

I'm almost the same height and weight as you in 6 year ago picture you shared (I'm about 5 years older than you). I've been +/- 10 pounds of this weight since freshman year in college and have been doing resistance work a on a regular basis since junior year of HS.

My employer offered annual physicals. They contracted the doctor services so generally had a different doctor every year. BMI has been on the questionnaire for at least the last 20 years. They would discuss every point on the questionnaire and every time when they got to BMI they would say BMI says you're overweight, but looking, you had good muscle mass and your BMI is not an issue.

Just my experience.
  • KeithBarrows
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont - you win. I am not here to argue. If you cannot figure out why I was surprised, that's on you.

@Theoldguy1 - Of all the doctors I've visited not once was my weight or weight to height ratio (BMI) ever brought up. And even though I was technically a 24 BMI starting bootcamp the Navy docs had to confer to see if I should be on an extra calorie diet during bootcamp. I guess this is why I tend to drop BMI from my tracking data. 6 & 7 years ago my wife and I were doing body composition competitions once a quarter. It took us each a year but we both ended up in the top 5 of those who entered. And yes - it was done by picture (posted above) as well as waist/shoulder measurements. Going through my notes from back then the fitness trainer told us both to toss the BMI as we were working out.
  • KeithBarrows
    Options
    @Wiseandcurious - My heart doc has so far said nothing about BMI/weight outside of my statement at our first appointment. "I am losing weight and exercising". His response was "Good.". BMI came up in trying to find a PCP in my general area. Some of the general web based intake forms asked if we considered ourselves overweight or not, among other health concerns we might have. One had a box for BMI. Almost all of these docs had a 3-6 month waiting list for the first appointment. I believe they use the answers from these sections to weight how quickly they should see you or if you can go to the bottom of the list.
  • RocketHaiHai
    RocketHaiHai Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Nt
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input. As I am seeing a heart doc (a very recent development) and going in for my 60,000 mile checkup, err, 60 year physical, BMI was something that was asked on the intake forms for the new Doc. .

Ah HAH! Clarity is approaching. For what it's worth, I had my heart attacks 2 years ago and that obviously got me started with a Cardiologist and was the first time I saw "BMI" mentioned. Long story short, I had been bristling with them over the BMI reports, my on-going weight loss, etc etc, and finally took them to task to explain why they were taking such a vague metric so seriously. Their explanation at the time is that it doesn't really matter between fat and/or muscle, its all extra tissue that your heart has to pump blood through, and the more tissue, the more your heart has to work. Which is a thing for heart attack survivors. But as a "statement of health", yeah, generally meaningless.

It sounds like you've had multiple heart attacks, and your BMI is in the risk factor category, from what you're telling us?

Not any more, it isn't.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that uncommon for men to be outliers in that they can be not overfat but in the BMI overweight zone. It's less common for women or if you are getting obese numbers. There was a good discussion about it on Sigma Nutrition, with Spencer Nadolsky as the guest. It's usually pretty obvious from other measurements/your exercise history if there's an issue.
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 15.5 and they say it's underweight. My health is great and I don't look underweight ☺
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I suspect the level of mass someone can safely carry is very individual to that person. I used to be overweight, but not obese. My BMI was 28, but I was on the verge of diabetes. So I went on a diet and started to exercise a lot.

I cut to a BMI of 21 (142 pounds), and have stayed there for the last 3 years. My blood glucose is now normal, and other health markers improved as well. I have no idea what the maximum BMI I can get away with, but it's less than 28 and more than 21.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Xellercin wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Xellercin wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what you are looking for.

BMI assumes average muscle, so yes, if you have above average muscle, then it will be off for you.

BMI is a populational metric, so it's only a very rough metric for individuals.

So again, I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for?

BMI is weight and height, body composition (bodyfat % or muscle) assumed or otherwise doesn't come into the equation.

Yes, I'm aware that the number doesn't assume anything, but the categorizations of "underweight," "healthy weight," "overweight," and "obese" do have assumptions of averages in terms of body composition built into them since they are based on populational averages.

Which makes the categories less applicable for individuals who deviate heavily from average in terms of body composition for their BMI.

True, but by definition, "individuals who deviate heavily from average" are not common.

Yep. I've noticed that most people that most people that hate BMI seem to think they are exceptional. Like no, BMI isn't a perfect measure, especially if you aren't a white male. It being a bad measure for an Olympic athlete doesn't mean that an average person looking is actually "healthy" if the chart says they are obese. But, everyone likes to think they are one of the outliers.

Now, what that measure means for people is individual of what you intend to do with that information and your actual health. But, far fewer people are outliers than like to think they are outliers.

Okay sure, but that comment was in response to my previous comment, and I only said it because OP posted a photo of themselves where they appeared to have more than the average amount of muscle.

So if OP is still as muscular, then it seems very reasonable to assume that they might not be very well represented by the average.

Which seems to have been OP's point the entire time, that because of his muscle mass, that he doesn't feel that the BMI labels are appropriate for his build.

He's only posted old photos though, so it's impossible to comment on the present. People can lose a lot of muscle in 5 years. So who knows.

But my original reply to him was basically along the lines of "yeah, if you have above average muscle mass, then the BMI categorizations may not be accurate for you".