It’s not about you….

Options
DeaJay_
DeaJay_ Posts: 21 Member
edited October 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you deal with someone who makes everything about them? I told my girlfriend how unhappy I am with how I look right now and that starting tomorrow I’m going to be very strict with my workouts and diet. I tried to put on a pair of pants yesterday that used to be loose around the waist and they wouldn’t even button. It was a real wake up call for me. I’m about 20 pounds over my ideal weight right now. I see it in pics, in the way my clothes fit, in the way I feel. While I know I’m not obese or at an unhealthy weight I’m not happy with what I see in the mirror. I refuse to be in denial about my weight gain. So being that my girlfriend and I live together I wanted her to know what my goals are so she will understand when I turn down offers of fast food or maybe won’t be able to eat some of the stuff that she cooks. But she’s one of those people that makes everything about her. So she goes “so I guess you want me to lose weight too? “ I told her that it has nothing to do with her and that I’m doing it for myself because I’m unhappy with what I see in the mirror. But I know this is probably going to be an ongoing issue. So how do you deal with people in your lives that are like this? I know it stems from their own insecurities (she is overweight). I try to bring her to the gym with me, sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn’t. As far as her diet it isn’t the best at all but she’s in denial about it and she’s stubborn and swears she knows it all. I’m not going to force anything on her, when she is ready to make major changes she will. But in the meantime how do you navigate around people like this so they don’t stall or sabotage your goals?

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If she's not on the same path as you, get her commitment to support you but don't try to involve her too much.

It you two are constantly talking about weight loss, it'll be a point of conflict. So talk about other things that don't put her on the spot about dieting. This is your path not hers. You'll know if she later wants to join your health kick.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    This may be a case of "show" more than "tell."

If she sees through your actions that you're committed and diligent with your own food and activity levels, and that you aren't judging or nagging her maybe she'll come to believe you.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I dont share everything. I keep my journey privet. All my friends and family know i love working out. I ver ask anyone to go with me. I meal prep so there isnt the temptation to go out and eat
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I agree with Ann. Just let her know that you’ve decided to make some changes for you and that it shouldn’t impact your relationship.
    Good luck with the changes you are making.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If she’s overweight she is probably feeling insecure about you working to improve your health/how you look. She may feel like if your confidence/image improves you will look at her differently and think you can do better and may ultimately leave her for someone else. I know it’s irrational but that’s how insecure people think when their partner starts changing things up… she may worry that you will want to change/get rid of her too. I know it’s hard to understand if you don’t think/feel like this but it’s something she probably can’t control or struggles to control. Just do your thing and keep on being the loving partner that I’m sure you are and she’ll get used to it. If she doesn’t then that’s a different story…. She may have issues that run a lot deeper that nothing you say or do could change.
    I think you're on the right track about how the gf is seeing this. It seems rational to me, especially for a non-spouse. OP can reassure her that's not what's going on, but I'm sure it will take time to sink in.

I hope the gf starts to join the journey, both for her own benefit and to be more supportive to the OP, as that will be easier to share meals together, to pick which restaurants to use together, to not be leaving snacks around the house or eating them in front of OP, etc.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    DeaJay_ wrote: »
    How do you deal with someone who makes everything about them? I told my girlfriend how unhappy I am with how I look right now and that starting tomorrow I’m going to be very strict with my workouts and diet. I tried to put on a pair of pants yesterday that used to be loose around the waist and they wouldn’t even button. It was a real wake up call for me. I’m about 20 pounds over my ideal weight right now. I see it in pics, in the way my clothes fit, in the way I feel. While I know I’m not obese or at an unhealthy weight I’m not happy with what I see in the mirror. I refuse to be in denial about my weight gain. So being that my girlfriend and I live together I wanted her to know what my goals are so she will understand when I turn down offers of fast food or maybe won’t be able to eat some of the stuff that she cooks. But she’s one of those people that makes everything about her. So she goes “so I guess you want me to lose weight too? “ I told her that it has nothing to do with her and that I’m doing it for myself because I’m unhappy with what I see in the mirror. But I know this is probably going to be an ongoing issue. So how do you deal with people in your lives that are like this? I know it stems from their own insecurities (she is overweight). I try to bring her to the gym with me, sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn’t. As far as her diet it isn’t the best at all but she’s in denial about it and she’s stubborn and swears she knows it all. I’m not going to force anything on her, when she is ready to make major changes she will. But in the meantime how do you navigate around people like this so they don’t stall or sabotage your goals?

You say it's about you and you're not trying to force anything on her, but you're inviting her to the gym and apparently trying to persuade her to eat in a certain way (otherwise what is she being stubborn about and what is she responding to when she swears she knows it all?) To you, this may feel like you're just offering to help, but to her it may feel like you're trying to change her. How is her not going to the gym with you or not eating what you want her to eat, or even arguing about what the right way to eat is, stalling or sabatoging your goals?

ETA missing "not" -- kind of an important word :smile: