Exogenous ketones

Options
Hi everyone I knew to the community tab so please excuse me if this post is in the wrong category. I am experimenting with exogenous ketones for health reasons and follow a low carb diet (not for weight loss).
I am unsure where to record ketones when tracking my intake. Technically the box nutritional details says 0g fat. 0g carb. 0g protein. The calories are from ketones which the company (as do many) feel is a 4th macro. Ketones are derived from fat so I wonder whether to count them towards my fat in take for the day e.g. 13g BHB ketones could be recorded as 13g fat. What do others do?

Replies

• lhcp12
    lhcp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ketones are not fat. In fact, I read some labels on amazon and none of the exogenous ketone supplements I looked at had fat in them at all. They had some carbs, minimal protein, and other minerals and vitamins (mainly electrolytes). If you are taking a supplement, read the label to see what the calories are for a serving and the serving macros. Different brands will have a different amount of calories and other vitamins/minerals/nutrients mixes. Also, keep in mind that exogenous ketone supplements are not FDA approved and are, therefore, not regulated so they are not evaluated for safety, purity, or effectiveness. And I hope that if this is for health reasons that you have spoken to your doctor before experimenting.
  • lauraamybrookes
    lauraamybrookes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It just seems strange to lig 70kcal as 0g across all macros. I judtcwas a little unsure.
    Thank you though. I appreciate it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    It just seems strange to lig 70kcal as 0g across all macros. I judtcwas a little unsure.
    Thank you though. I appreciate it

Why? That's not unique. Vodka or other clear liquor is about 70 calories per ounce, but zero carbs, zero fats, zero protein. 😉🤣