Is this a bad idea?

While you are losing weight and have more time from not working, do more exercise, then cut back when you are at your goal weight and have less time?

Or exercising to begin with, then stopping forever? or will it screw up your metabolism?

Replies

• neffyworld
    neffyworld Posts: 89 Member
    Walking is the type of exercise I do, and the more I do, the more I can eat. And people tell me that if I walk more, I will be able to run sooner or that I will achieve my goals sooner.

I'm guessing I should find healthier food to eat, or a way to stretch out my calories so I don't need to move so much.
  • neffyworld
    neffyworld Posts: 89 Member
    neffyworld wrote: »
    Walking is the type of exercise I do, and the more I do, the more I can eat. And people tell me that if I walk more, I will be able to run sooner or that I will achieve my goals sooner.

I'm guessing I should find healthier food to eat, or a way to stretch out my calories so I don't need to move so much.

Why would you not want to do regular exercise, regardless of the calorie burn, when it has so many health benefits?

As an obese and unfit person, I don't like exercising. I have thought about getting a gym/pool membership, but I'm unsure of when it will be available with all the covid 19 lockdowns happening. I tried joining a netball team a while back, but they never got back to me, then covid hit. I'm not aware of any local sport going on that I can join, and I don't know what is good for my knees at my age. I used to have a personal trainer but I can't afford it anymore. There is a gym I used to like going to, but it has gotten way too popular so I can't go to their classes. There's barely any room there, they need to expand their franchise.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member

Surely walking is something you could and should hope to do all your life. I don't think either of your opening proposals are good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Exercise is a part of my life regardless of weight management objectives. I exercise for my health and overall fitness...there are numerous health benefits to regular exercise (and that includes walking). There is evidence to suggest that regular exercise and/or being a more active person has greater health benefits than merely maintaining a healthy weight and diet. Humans are meant to move, not sit around all of the time.

How I fit exercise into my day and what exercise I do has been fluid over the years. When my kids were younger I had more time to exercise so I spent 4-5 years training and participating in endurance cycling races and events. That took a lot of time as far as training goes. When my kids got a bit older, all of a sudden we had homework in the evenings, soccer practices and soccer matches, archery practices and archery meets, etc. I didn't have as much time to train so I took things in a different direction. It's all fluid, nothing is set in terms of "this is what I have to do forever."
  • HickGurl73
    HickGurl73 Posts: 31 Member
    WALKING .... Also, there are a TON of FREE you tube videos for "Chair Fitness!" I have to do those when my vertigo spells hit (too dizzy to walk/for walking aerobics like Leslie Sansone)... Also, my mom is in very poor health and she can only do chair fitness. :)
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Ditto the chair fitness idea. I did that for a while when my knee was bad. Gentle yoga is good. YouTube videos for Pilates. You can do it at home...I hated being seen in public at first.
    Cycling is good. If you have a bike....easy on the body. You can go as fast or slow as you like.
    And of course, walking. When I started, it was a struggle to walk up hills, so I didn't....turned around and walked the other way. Think my first walk was about 10 minutes and it was hard work. But keep going. It does get easier and you do come to enjoy it.
    The worst thing for me was the chafing! I'm a sweaty person so it was pretty bad. That gets better as well. Use skin glide or I found a baby rash powder than really worked called curash. Prevents and treats chafing.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    So, I don't necessarily LOVE exercise. Or rather, all exercises. I love kayaking, skiing, and ice skating, but those are all seasonal activities that I can't do year round. That being said I do some form of exercise every day. I hit the gym 4-5 times a week, and on the days that I don't I go for a walk and do some gentle yoga. Exercise is so incredibly important for having a healthy body and living a long life, and maintaining a good level of fitness now will help you for years to come. Exercise is great for heart, lung, brain, and bone health.
  • korimak0
    korimak0 Posts: 249 Member
    I second the ideas of cycling and swimming, both are great for people with iffy knees(like me). Does either one of those interest you(
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Find something fun or a way to make it fun. When I walk or jog I either do so in the woods with a dog, or I listen to an audio or watch a tv show (if treadmill or indoors) I horseback ride. I paddleboard. I play disc golf (which is walking around). I swim. I do dog agility Look at your calories and macros too, to see if you can find more satiation so you don't feel like you're earning food - especially not doing things you hate.

As you lose and get more fit more things will open and be fun for you but for now do what you can and look toward/think about how to make the movement you do enjoyable.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

I think they key is to find something you ENJOY.

Being active isnt just good for your body and HEART (literally), its good for your MIND.

I'm still young, all things considered (43), but I certainly plan on being as active as possible for as long as my body allows me to. I was sedentary for FAR too long. I've worked far too hard and too long to LOSE my weight. I have no desire to go back to where I was (activity wise or weight wise).

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2021

I'm glad to hear that you are trying to plan out some of your goals for adherence. I really hope you find something you enjoy for all the benefits.

Maybe you can tell what is your goal for weight loss along what you like to do. Is your goal to run? Does resistance training at home interest you?

Can you give an example of your daily food intake?