Perfect weight?

Options
How do you know what your ideal weight should be?

Replies

• Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Something you can feel comfortable with and maintain for life, but is also within a healthy range to avoid illness later in life.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    When you look in the mirror and its just Wow, wow, wow.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Something you can feel comfortable with and maintain for life, but is also within a healthy range to avoid illness later in life.

THIS!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When you look in the mirror and its just Wow, wow, wow.

This is absolute the truth. However, insurance companies and doctors will use a quick way to figure out your health according to BMI. Unless they see you as a body builder, then they will have to measure your fat another way.
  • jupaba
    Options
    Use the BMI (Body Mass Index)

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is lay out your goals, i would say it's a combination of weight, BMI and body fat. For me, I am working to get a six pack. Also, since I have an athletic build, BMI is not a good indicator. For those with athletic builds, BF % is a better indicator. A lot of girls I know want a flat stomach with some oblique definition. And that is when they are happen.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BMI is a good tool, but its not always accurate measure of someone's body figure. For example, in order for me to be in the right BMI i need to weigh 160lbs, there is no way that i could weigh 160 lbs and look good. my ideal weigh is about 180lbs. BMI doesn't take in the muscle weight too much.
    so best way to determine your ideal weight is to look in the mirror and how you feel. also i have heard that your waist should be less than half of your height.

but again, how a person feels is the best predictor of their weight. in my opinion
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I ask myself the same question, i am 5'2 and have never been under 140. My "healthy weight" is under 137. At 140 i felt good about my body but there was still more to lose. i wonder what weight i will be happy with, what weight i will be healthy in??
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Body fat percentage is the best way. Find out your current body fat percentage, then decide on your ideal body fat percentage.

You can use those to figure out weight. Using myself as an example (5'7" male,) my current body fat is 22%. I weigh 219 pounds. That means I have 48 pounds of fat on my body, and my Lean Body Mass is 171 pounds. My goal is 8% body fat, which would give me about 17.5 pounds of fat. Adding that to my Lean Body Mass gives me an ideal weight of 188 pounds (my current goal is 190, I usually set a range due to normal weight fluctuation.)

The reason I pick this method is that going by BMI (how most doctors and insurance companies do it) I should weigh between 121 and 159. Neither of those numbers would be terribly realistic for me, based on my body composition and frame size.
  • jennyrider
    Options
    Use the BMI (Body Mass Index)

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

There is at least a 40lb. Difference between "normal" and overweight. My BMI is 19.4 (I weigh 139 @5'11")which is "normal", but so is 179lbs. @the same weight!

I find it hard to believe if I was 179lbs. that I would be considered in the "normal" range!
  • jennyrider
    Options
    Is 7lbs. of body fat healthy for someone of my build?

How do you loose fat without loosing muscle?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Body fat percentage is the best way. Find out your current body fat percentage, then decide on your ideal body fat percentage.

You can use those to figure out weight. Using myself as an example (5'7" male,) my current body fat is 22%. I weigh 219 pounds. That means I have 48 pounds of fat on my body, and my Lean Body Mass is 171 pounds. My goal is 8% body fat, which would give me about 17.5 pounds of fat. Adding that to my Lean Body Mass gives me an ideal weight of 188 pounds (my current goal is 190, I usually set a range due to normal weight fluctuation.)

The reason I pick this method is that going by BMI (how most doctors and insurance companies do it) I should weigh between 121 and 159. Neither of those numbers would be terribly realistic for me, based on my body composition and frame size.

This is the correct answer...and if I'm ever denied something based on the BMI, I'm going to sue.

Anyhow, I'm the same height as tiger there, though I'm a good bit lighter (he's something of a beast lol) at 175ish total pounds. At 18% body fat (current), I'm at 143lbs of lean mass, and 32lbs of fat. If I maintained my lean mass, and reached my intended goal of about 12% body fat, I'd need to weigh right around 165lbs or so. Since I'd like to put on more muscle (not a ton), I'm aiming at reducing body fat, and maintaining my current weight at the same time. This gives me 154lbs of lean mass, and 21lbs of fat.

I'm good with that =D.

Tiger, at 5'7", 190lbs, and 8% bodyfat...you're going to be a walking (rather short) brick wall lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Is 7lbs. of body fat healthy for someone of my build?

How do you loose fat without loosing muscle?

No, it is actually not enough. You need more like 20 lbs to be about 14% body fat which is athletic for a woman. Any less than that, and you are going into unhealthy waters.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Tiger, at 5'7", 190lbs, and 8% bodyfat...you're going to be a walking (rather short) brick wall lol.

This is true. I've always been a brick wall, but at 190 I'll be a brick wall with a 6-pack. :laugh: