Stroke Survivor age 39

Options
Hi all,
I had a stroke age 39 in may 2020 total shock, as felt fine even 2 hrs before. Prior to my stroke i went spinning 2x a week and was on my feet majority of the day as im a nurse.
Cause of stroke was assumed my history of extreme high bp from yrs ago ( i was a dialysis pt, now got a transplant). Anyway cut story short my high bp from yrs ago had damaged the small blood vessels in my brain a few weeks prior to stroke i was stressed out and put bp up and damaged blood vessels were too narrow etc.
Anyway fast forward to present day. Im back at work as a nurse not like i was as mainly admin but still im back. Walk with a limp get tired so easily.
My question is can i lose weight without exercise?
I can only walk about 200 meters on a good day and I can't swim and feel so low sbout my weight and the way I look.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Short answer, yes, you can lose weight just by watching your energy intake (covered in the previous post). Slightly longer answer as a transplant patient, ask for PT sessions and get some strength and balance back if they haven't already set you up with that.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    First, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. You have a great positive attitude which will certainly make the difference in your health journey. I"m in awe of all the challenges you have overcome recently!
    I read that you're not able to exercise right now but are you going to physical therapy? If so, then maybe they would have some ideas for some safe workouts.
    Could you see if something like yoga would be appropriate, just to help increase your strength and stamina? And believe me, I understand the draw of spin class. I'm a class junkie too!!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    I can barely walk. But I’m almost 80 pounds down since February.

There’s a group here for discussing these issues. Come join us!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercise but you would be slowly giving up your health. I would seek resources to consult about exercising within your current constraints. Did you have PT after your stroke? Did they provide you with an exercise plan or routine. The prior posters about discussion groups with folks dealing with physical limitations sounds like a great option and Fishor007 sounds really inspiring.
    Having a challenging job like nursing must be hard