Wanting to build muscle.

Options
Hi, I am new to this forum so here goes.

I have an ectomorph shape and at 62 want to start building muscle (I did a program about five years ago and slowly got some muscle definition - but given my lanky body shape I don't think I will ever really bulk up too much). Anyway, life got in the way and I stopped going to the gym for a few years.

I have joined a gym and go around 4 times per week; unfortunately there is no PT available at this gym not any where I live who I can seek guidance from. I really think I need a structured program and perhaps dietary advice - I have googled but am finding it a bit overwhelming.

Has anyone had any success building muscle with an ectomorph frame and, if so, would you be willing to share your program and even dietary tips? Or does anyone know if there are PTs on MFP who offer this?

Thanks for listening to me

regards
Liz

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Your frame type has been proven to be meaningless in the scheme of diet and exercise, so don't worry about that.

You may have long muscles and not a big muscle belly, may have higher % of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle - those things can effect how you may look after working just as hard as someone else.
    Expectation types will have a bigger influence on how you end up than somatotypes.

Good job wanting a structured program.

If you were willing to pay for a PT at a gym - willing to pay a trainer online for a program and assist?
    Obviously free programs too, just follow the guidance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

But there are many out there with programs too.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this forum so here goes.

I have an ectomorph shape and at 62 want to start building muscle (I did a program about five years ago and slowly got some muscle definition - but given my lanky body shape I don't think I will ever really bulk up too much). Anyway, life got in the way and I stopped going to the gym for a few years.

I have joined a gym and go around 4 times per week; unfortunately there is no PT available at this gym not any where I live who I can seek guidance from. I really think I need a structured program and perhaps dietary advice - I have googled but am finding it a bit overwhelming.

Has anyone had any success building muscle with an ectomorph frame and, if so, would you be willing to share your program and even dietary tips? Or does anyone know if there are PTs on MFP who offer this?

Thanks for listening to me

regards
    Liz

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm glad to hear you are back at the gym! So important and beneficial especially for your specifics.

MFP doesn't allow us to offer our services or ask you to "personal message" a potential client seeking what you ask. This doesn't mean you can't do it on your own I hazard, but I never asked a moderator or read the guidelines since last time I spoke with one.

Not knowing your current programming I hesitate to offer a structured program that is generic for the population, but I will state if you haven't been to the gym for months, you can see some results from most programming though some might be inappropriate.