Exercise calories.... do you eat them?

Options
Well, do ya?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No.

Sometimes I will exercise more to burn off when I've gone over. But I don't intentionally eat them.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    Nope. Not usually. It depends on how many I burned. When i scuba diving, i burn around 2400. no way i can eat that back. I am nursing so if i burn 600 i better eat some of them or I'll lose my milk.
  • cutiekaylaa
    Options
    Nope. I don't really see the point in eating them. If I worked so hard to burn those calories, why should I eat them right back?
  • 4littlemonkeys
    Options
    I try to only eat back half of them.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    There is a definite split on here about whether or not to eat them. I don't typically eat all of the exercise calories but I try to eat some to refuel my system.
  • ammiller32
    Options
    it is good to help replenish the extra calories burned, but the whole point of exercising is to increase your caloric deficit to promote more weight loss, so i would recommend not eating all of them
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have to eat them back or I don't lose weight.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    :grumble:

I miss taso.

:laugh:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them back. I am starving if I don't. I have lost weight and kept it off.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a crazy train of thought, but i use ww and get points for working out and yes i eat them. i figure when i hit a plateau then i'll only eat some, and when i plateau again then i'll eat none! At this time im eating them and losing.....
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If I don't, I start to feel run down and I lose strength and endurance quickly.
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    I eat mine but not all of them. I work out almost everyday and on the days I burn 600-1000 calories I do eat some of them back.
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    I eat mine but not all of them. I work out almost everyday and on the days I burn 600-1000 calories I do eat some of them back.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat some of them back, not all because you really don't know how accurate these machines are with calculating your actual calories burn. I wear the Body Bugg for counting calories, I notice the exercise machines says I burn a lot more calories than my Body Bugg says.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Right now I'm zig-zagging my calories, so some days I eat a few or none back, and sometimes I eat all of them back. I don't really pay attention to the net calorie thing.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat about half sometimes..
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I didn't for months, but now I do-to a degree. I eat about 1,800 to 2,000 calories a day (I'm on a 1250 diet). I exercise anywhere from 650 to 1100 calories a day right now (cut back from before).

I just got really hungry. I went months not eating them back, and all of a sudden, it just happened that I was too hungry NOT to!
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    Options
    I cycle my calories over the week, eat less when I'm cross-training and more when I'm running. At the end of the week - my net calories are as is if I ate them all. But I definitely don't subscribe to YOU-MUST-EAT-ALL you exercise calories every day or you'll starve (LOL).
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes!

If you set up MFP right to start with then the daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight. That said, you should eat close to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day including eating back most of your exercise calories. Depending on how far under the daily calorie goal you are, you are very likely to cause your body to hang onto the fat it has by either slowing down or even stopping fat loss. It may not happen right away but eventually you will most likely plateau. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably get away with it longer but as you have less to lose your body will plateau easier. May sound counter-intuitive but that's just the way it is.

For those that say they could never eat them back because of the amount they burn you could try this.
    I generally have my meals and exercise for the day planned in the morning or the night before. This way I know approximately what my exercise calorie burn will be and I plan my meals for the day to "pre-eat" enough calories so that I can just eat a sensible supper and maybe a snack.