Do y’all take rest days?

Options
Tried to do my workout this morning and just couldn’t get the energy to do it. I’m thinking my body needs a rest days. How often do you take rest days?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I run marathons, but if I run more than 4 times per week, I'm much more likely to develop an injury - so I take a rest day (or at least a RECOVERY day - where I just walk, instead of running) EVERY OTHER DAY!
  • GarryA1987
    GarryA1987 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5 days a week. Tuesday and Thursday are for moderate to high intensity training and the others are light cardio and strength training. I use the weekend as my rest days and that seems to be working :)
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Yes. At least one day a week
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work out every day. But I only train one body part a day and with the exception of legs, I spend no more than 40 minutes training. I do some form of cardio daily, but only intense cardio 4 days a week. Sunday is my lowest intense day with just hamstrings to train and walking as my cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I take one day a week off from intentional workouts -- lifting or cardio that rises my HR above 50% max.

My Saturdays are my day off. They are very active days -- I walk my 3 dogs (which collectively weigh more than I do) a mile or so, then go to the grocery store and run errands. Around 7000 steps that day. But to me, that is an off day and very light compared to the rest of the week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have a dog, so I walk 2-3 miles every day, regardless of weather or mood. I run for an hour or more 5 days a week. On one of the non-running days I will usually do some sort of workout, usually stationary bike or a hike. On the other NRD I usually don't do anything extra, though I may mow the lawn, which involves about 3 miles of pushing the gas mower up and down or do yoga. What I do on non-running days depends on how many errands I have and how my mind and body are feeling at the time. Some weeks I do something every day, others my mind or body says I need a break so I take it.
  • UberAya
    UberAya Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I take "rest" days on Saturday and Sunday just because with two toddlers it's just too unpredictable whether I can get a workout in. Eventually when our youngest stops acting like Even Knievel reincarnate (or at least learns his limits) maybe I can more reliably squeeze one in on one of those days.
    Otherwise, I schedule a rest day on Wed each week because I usually go hard early in the week.

With that said - on the weekends, if I can do even something simple like drag the kids around town behind me on my bike, I will. And on Wed I'm likely to do an active recovery or stretching focused Yoga type of workout just to keep momentum.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    OP, do you usually work out when fasted? Was your intake lower than usual yesterday?

Before my resistance training workouts I usually have a light snack like a Dannon Light and Fit yogurt, which is 80 calories and 12g protein. Or you could have a banana. Or if your body is saying, these muscles need a rest, that's fine too, don't beat yourself up about it.

If you're talking about strength workouts, maybe it's time for a deload week.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I train 3-4 times a week only (full body Olympic lifts) as I ideally need 48hrs recovery between each session. But I do walk the dog and stretch, I find that less recovery time really hampers my strength. And as said above - I also have deload periods and you might be due one of those too.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    I lift three days per week, and every 3 months I take a week away from the gym completely. Walking the dog and cleaning the house keep me moving most days, but I don't count those as workouts.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I exercise nearly every day, mostly running. I just listen to my body in deciding on intensity.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I lift 6 days/week alternating push/pull, so I never do the same lift on back-to-back days and have one day with no lifts. As far as lifting is concerned I think it's fairly accepted that rest is required. For cardio (cycling, running, etc.) I don't believe rest as near as important; personally I can cycle for 1+hrs a day for multiple days with no need for rest.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 or 6 days/week (depending on my work schedule), but I get some kind of physical activity every day, even if it's just taking the dog for a good long walk.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Tried to do my workout this morning and just couldn’t get the energy to do it. I’m thinking my body needs a rest days. How often do you take rest days?

It sounds as if your body was telling you that you needed rest. I'd say following that cue is smart and reduces your chance of injury. Its nice to come back refreshed after a rest day.

My answer to your question is that it depends on where I am in my training cycle. My workouts are largely cardio based, with 1-2 strength sessions/week supporting the cardio work. I'm typically a high volume exerciser from December through October as I build my base fitness, then ramp up swim, bike and run volume for races.My training is set up in blocks and periodized, so I have lower volume weeks every fourth week or so. My fitness and fatigue is tracked in a software tool, so I have a pretty good idea of how fatigued I am each week. I take full rest days when needed.

I train 6-7 days per week during this time, with Mondays being my active recovery day. I often do an easy 30-60 minute spin on Mondays to help my legs recover from long sessions on the weekends.

During my off season in the fall, I do very little formal training, simply 2 strength sessions per week with a trainer and some social bike rides and easy swims. I enjoy both the physical and mental break from training, then I'm very eager to ramp up again after a 6-8 week break.

TL DR version:

Need for rest days varies based on Training Density. Density describes the frequency, intensity and duration of training during a given period :)
  • ZaySooWavy
    ZaySooWavy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I’ll take two rest days out of the week, sometimes instead of having a rest day I would go to the gym just for cardio. So I will have a extra day of cardio for the week
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    So I'm physicallyactive in way or another every day unless illness or schedule prevents me. I go to the gym 3 days a week for total body strength/weightlifting with at least a day in between and have reload weeks in my programming. However, even with those there will be days when I just feel like I need to rest. That actually happened this week to me. I was tired and hadn't been sleeping well, so I really just wanted to take a nap instead of go to the gym (which is actually very rare for me). So, I have myself permission to do so even though I wouldn't be able to get to the gym until my next regularly scheduled day. I went back today and was ready to go, even with a tight schedule.

It's important to listen to our bodies, but of course we have to balance that with not getting out of the habit of regular exercise. I found that if I'm compassionate with myself and don't make it a big deal to take an unplanned rest day I'm ready to go the next time.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do something active every single day, but I don't "work out" every day. M/W/F I do some cardio as a warm-up and then some strength training. Tu/Th I do just cardio, and I don't push it if I'm not feeling it. Sometimes it's just a nice, long walk. Generally on weekdays I spend around 60-90 minutes working out. On weekends I try to go for a walk and do some yoga, or fun activities like kayaking or skiing.
  • Lullaby2021
    Lullaby2021 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 days per week with two days off.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I make it a habit to take one day off most weeks, though I'll skip other days if there's a thunderstorm on my rowing day in season or something like that. The rest day may have yoga, or mild walking, or something. I do vary activity type (row/bike mostly, in Spring through Fall), since I find I do better as I age if I don't do the same activity day in and day out. (I'll be 66 this month.)

Off season, I generally do a period of denial where rowing tapers off as cold weather comes on intermittently, until I finally can't pretend it's not Winter, then I'll typically go back to a 6-day schedule (indoors) until Spring . . . but I do slack off a little more often over the Winter, though: More yoga, shorter rowing/cycling workouts, etc.

I don't train anymore, I just do this stuff for fun. 🙂