Feeling like it’s impossible & hopeless

Options
But I know it’s not. I’ve lost the weigh before. Knee injuries and knee surgeries and osteoarthritis are killing me. This is the first time I’ve posted here. First time I’ve logged in. I need non corny supportive friends lol. Need to get motivated again. No one is coming to save me. Gotta do it myself. Gotta do it by myself, for myself and my kids. Fingers crossed I make good choices :)

Replies

• TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It is not an easy journey. I do not have the osteoarthritis, but I do have knee issues and it does seem like it slows my exercise portion of the journey. You can do this. I find I focus on the finale and need to focus on the day to day aspects of weightloss and fitness. One day at a time. I sent a friend request. I don't think I'm corny, but you would have to be the judge lol. I have enjoyed the friendship aspect of MFP this time around. Like you, this is not my first time around weightloss. You can do this. Just try not to be too hard on yourself, even though it is so easy to do. Perfection is not possible, but effort is.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    you can friend me if you want. I have osteoarthritis and at the age of 44 I am now planning double hip replacements. So I don't run anymore, even walking is no fun. But I still eat good, and exercise when I can. Someone once told me weight loss is 90% in the kitchen, and 10% exercise!
  • revinso
    revinso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fully sympathise. I have knee pain to such an extent that I have to pull myself upstairs by the handrail. Or did. I started with a weight of 137.5 kg (303 pounds) and in the last 6 weeks through diet and exercise and hydration followed religiously, I'm down to 124.3kg, so a loss of 13.2kg (29 pounds). This fairly modest change has already had a marked beneficial impact on mobility and reducing knee and joint pain. When I lose another at least 25kg I expect to be considerably more mobile and pain free. Therefore I would say if I can do it, you can do it.
  • lovegemma
    lovegemma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Again, new here and I don’t even know if I’m replying to one persons comment or if this is a thread lol. Yes, the knee stuff sucks. I feel like the people around me who I used to work out with think it’s an excuse but I legitimately have a hard time even walking sometimes and I’m only 41. The doctor told me I’ll likely need double knee replacements in about 5 years. Man! Some days I feel fine and can go to the gym and other days I can barely walk. I’ve heard the same about 90% of weight loss is in the kitchen! Today I’m having blueberries and a lemon Greek yogurt. One day at a time. One meal at a time :)
  • carriedminetree2
    Options
    I totally relate to the knee issues, plus feet and hands. Starting at 400 lb, my highest weight ever, I also have a long hard road. Right now I'm recovering from covid. So exercise is not possible. But I am starting to manage my food and also recently joined this app. I too am looking for support and sound advice. Please reach out if you'd like. Thanks and best of luck to you.
  • gravaged2668
    gravaged2668 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you can friend me if you want. I have osteoarthritis and at the age of 44 I am now planning double hip replacements. So I don't run anymore, even walking is no fun. But I still eat good, and exercise when I can. Someone once told me weight loss is 90% in the kitchen, and 10% exercise!

I've always heard the phrase, "Abs are made in the kitchen." My favorite is, "You can't outrun the spoon."
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    You can send me a request if you want. I've lost a LOT of weight. as in more than what most people-or the average person anyway- WEIGHS.

i dont talk a whole lot about diet and exercise though, really. well, some now simply because im training for my first spartan race so i *kitten* about that a lot. i really hate running. with a PASSION. and i suck at it.

i swear a lot. i talk a lot about stuff no one cares about. some people think im funny. others dont. they dont usually last long on my page ;) i talk about my farm and animals a fair amount, more so when theres not as much going on otherwise in my world. or a lot going on on the farm that I can turn into a funny story (so... spring and summer are full of stories, its pretty quiet around here in the fall and winter usually).

I try to help or answer questions when and where I can/when I see them. supportive, yes. corny, not usually, though sometimes we all need a little whine with our cheese ;)

you lose weight in the kitchen. point blank. or ... you cant out run a bad diet. I still have a little (comparative to what ive lost) weight to lose. I was not able to work out for most of this year (doctors orders) and still lost on diet alone. 50 some pounds this year. so.... it certainly can be done without exercise.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 with OA for many years. I have the worst of it in my hips. I wake up stiff and sore and hobble around until it loosens up. With that said I've avoided replacement surgery (so far) by exercising a lot for 25 years. I've been adding exercises as I go along (whatever interests me). As of now I swim 4x a week, do acquagym 2x a week, powerwalk 3x a week, do my own stretching and aerobic routine 2x a week, Yogaflex 1x a week, and have started Tai chi 1x a week. Plus I have a very active life with 4 adults to cook for everyday.

So.....I'd suggest seeing a physical therapist and find out what movements can benefit you. Start there and slowly add on and branch out as you get better. Lose the weight and see how you feel. I wish you the best because living with pain is no fun.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Good luck! We're here for you!!!