Alli: 15g fat per meal?

Options
Hello everyone! I just have a quick question about the weight loss aid Alli. Now before I get into it, I've read other threads on here regarding Alli, and instead of offering judgement-free helpful advice, I see some people just mock those who use/have used this pill, with snide remarks. So please, if you're going to do so then refrain from replying to this. I would greatly appreciate advice from people who have actually tried Alli and have seen (or haven't seen) results from it.

I have been using MFP for a while now, and still have not reached my goal weight of 118 lbs. I've managed to lose weight on my own up till now, and have been trying to get past my plateau for a long time with no results. I've increased my cardio and strength training, drink LOTS of water, and have made extra sure that I've stayed within my calorie limit of 1200 per day (I'm 5'1" 127lbs). But so far, the lack of results has been making me feel exhausted and hopeless, almost to the point of thinking, "Why am I still trying?". I'm within the 'healthy' range, but would ultimately be happy with losing at least 9 more lbs, which is still considered healthy, just on the less chubby side.

So I've done some research and have decided to try Alli with my diet and exercise regime since it's approved by the FDA. Mind you, I know these supplements are meant for those who are obese/moderately obese and I am JUST under that range, but I am wondering if taking Alli really will work with a diet of 15g of fat per meal, as recommended with the program?

I didn't have any idea how many carbs/proteins/fats I should be consuming each day with each meal, but the informative booklets provided by the starter kit has given me a better idea, since I've already been logging my meals on MFP. I realize now that I have been going over my fats and sometimes my carbs, however still staying under my 1200 cal limit. Now I know I need to watch the amounts of fat I eat.

So instead of taking Alli with every meal, I'm taking it only with the meals that ARE higher in fats, to cut out 1/3 of the fats digested. But even with consuming the maximum of 15g of fat per meal 39g per day, would Alli really still help with that? 15g isn't that much to begin with, yet that's what they recommend.

It says in the Guide: "If you're already following a very low-fat diet, you probably won't benefit from using the Alli program."

So I assume that by 'very low-fat' they mean a diet where you're consuming little to no fats at all?

So far I haven't experienced much of the side effects Alli mentions will occur, but at the same time I've been staying at the 15g of fat like I'm supposed to. So all these other horrid stories I've heard from people on here, saying they've pooped their pants, have yellow leakage running down their leg, blowing up the toilet, etc... Sounds to me like they probably weren't as closely following the program as they should have been. It seems as long as you're within your fat limit, you'll limit those effects as well.

So basically I'd just like to know if I SHOULD take an Alli capsule with each meal of 15g of fat, or to just take one when I eat over that amount? Which is usually lunch or dinner. Otherwise if Alli proves to be ineffective, then I'll just stop the program all together.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Fats are high in calories. Fats are needed for your body to function.

Alli essentially keeps your body from absorbing some of the energy from said fats.

If you are eating in a caloric deficit, then eating "low fat" is irrelevant.

Additionally, if you DO consume a high amount of fat (even within your calorie limit for the day) you chance anal leakage.

I dont know... this reminds me far too much about WOW! chips with Olestra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lay's_WOW_chips
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I thought that the side effects of Alli happen MORE if you eat more than the recommended fat? I would be careful of taking it with the higher fat meals...
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Honestly, these things scare the crap out of me (and Alli apparently literally scares the crap out of you!!! ) Just because the FDA approves it does not mean it is safe.

I would rather see you get a good body monitor and really buckle down on the composition of what you eat than pollute your body with this chemical.

When you are morbidly obese, then the side effects of something like Alli are possibly less harmful than maintaining a harmful weight. This is not where you are.

It also will not help you keep the weight off even if it did help you lose. You need to find out what is going on with your body and your diet and adjust that for a lifetime of maintenance.
  • Hearts_Desire
    Hearts_Desire Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's what I think too, Buffy. having such side effects would be so unpleasant! So yes, I'm definitely careful with eating those higher fats now. :)

And don't misunderstand me, CrazyTrackLad, I simply meant that there is a way to offer advice without having to be rude about it, and make people feel bad. No one's mad here.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Liver Damage

Infrequently, liver damage may occur as a side effect of Alli. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety alert to healthcare professionals in August 2009 warning them about reports of liver damage in people taking orlistat. If you develop any symptoms of liver damage, including fatigue, pale stools, dark urine, abdominal pain, itchy skin or jaundice, seek prompt care from a medical professional.

Loose Stools

You may develop bowel movement changes as a side effect while taking Alli, Drugs.com warns. Loose or frequent bowel movement may be bothersome and may occur in conjunction with stomach discomfort or cramping. You may find it difficult to control your bowel movements, which may lead to embarrassing accidents that result in soiled underwear or clothing. Persistent or severe diarrhea may also make you more susceptible to dehydration. Speak with your doctor if you experience chronic diarrhea or have difficulty controlling your bowels.
    Gas and Oily Discharge

While using Alli, you may experience a buildup of gas within your digestive tract. Excessive gas may cause you to feel unusually bloated, and you may notice that your clothing fits tighter than usual around your midsection. Episodes of gas may be accompanied by oily discharge, RxList reports, which may stain your underwear. Maintaining a healthy, low-fat and reduced-calorie diet may help reduce your risk of developing these unpleasant or bothersome side effects.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/295706-side-effects-of-alli-orlistat/#ixzz2QBtZycm2

Yeah...
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Ok...Not being a jerk (I feel I need to say this before I say what i will next because everyone always reports me for being a jerk even when I am not being one.) Why? Why do you feel you need to take a supplement that will literally make you *kitten* yourself? I get you want to be at your goal, but thats only like 10 pounds away.

10 pounds... thats not a lot, and I have always read those are the worst 10 to lose (unless you are me than its the first 10 that sucks but I digress). Change your goals. You are eating 1200 calories a day - I will assume you are eating back excerise calories. Change your weightloss back to .5 a week (sounds like a dumb thing to do I know) eat more food, stay at the deficit and you should see results. Keep in mind it may be slow but you will.

You could also try to go TDEE - 20% if you really want to, but I really think that taking a supplement that is going to make you crap yourself silly is just... well silly. You are not morbidly obese, you are 10 pounds away from a goal... so just stay par the course, change things up, eat more food, work out consistantly, maybe lift weights if you don't already (body composition makes a huge difference) don't waste your money on a pill that is uneccessary..

This is coming from someone who had tried Alli I have tried them all, you may lose weight , but you won't keep it off, you won't have the energy you are looking for and you very well could end up in a worse place than you are now, and that would be terrible. Your health is above any number on a scale... ALWAYS.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have successfully warded off all of the terrible effects of Alli... the dreaded leakage, no liver damage, no surprise poops, no need for changes of clothes at work... BY ** NOT** TAKING ALLI!!

It works, HONEST IT DOES!

I know, too good to be true, right?

In all seriousness, this stuff is crap, um, literally. And that is my totally serious, honest opinion and advice.
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    I used alli years ago and i did not exercise at all, i was in school so sitting most the day, and i still lost 2lbs per week. i would do it again this time around but i lost the books so i dont know how many calories/ fat i would get each meal and i dont want to have bowel issues so ive just been trying the old fashioned way which by the way its taken me almost 2 months to lost 1 lb!!! i ended up having to up my calorie intake, what MPF suggested was 200 cal below my BMR... best of luck to you.. alli worked for me so i believe it is possible :0)
  • Hearts_Desire
    Hearts_Desire Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great advice, especially from dsmpunk. I've done my research before taking Alli, and I didn't find that information anywhere, so it's definitely good to know that for personal reference. Liver damage doesn't sound appealing at all...

Like_a_T_Rex_: I've never tried that method before! So perhaps that could possibly work for me since I HAVE been at or (usually) below 1200 cals a day. I tend to not work back the calories I burn by simply not logging them into my journal, so perhaps that's also why I'm not losing? Eating under the 1200. Either way though, I'll keep up the exercise and the weights, and I'll try adding more calories to my diet to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip! :D

kbrhelker23: You said you took it years ago, so I'm curious did you experience any bowel issues then? I'm in the same boat, it's been a looooong time since i saw a pound difference on the scale which is the only reason I'm trying this. But as T_Rex suggested and based on what you've said, I'm going to try upping my calories a little too, to see if that helps. Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Do more research then. Alli DOESN'T distinguish what is good/bad fat. It absorbs both. And fat is ESSENTIAL to the body for good health. Which means that you will have to take a fat supplement to ensure you are getting good fat in the body. So you're spending more money to put back in what Alli is taking out.
    Do it right the first time.

Get in your correct macros/micro nutrients, consistent moderate calorie deficit, exercise. And it costs you nothing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Alli is a waste. Fat is not the enemy.

If you aren't having any luck switch up what you are doing... but don't add in a pill. If these things worked no one would need to be here.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to eat more. But make sure you give it a good 6 weeks as your body has to re-adjust to eating a more 'normal' deficit, so the scale might jump around a bit at first.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am honestly not trying to mock or be rude, but anal leakage is not ever an okay side effect. Seriously.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Liver Damage

Infrequently, liver damage may occur as a side effect of Alli. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety alert to healthcare professionals in August 2009 warning them about reports of liver damage in people taking orlistat. If you develop any symptoms of liver damage, including fatigue, pale stools, dark urine, abdominal pain, itchy skin or jaundice, seek prompt care from a medical professional.

Loose Stools

You may develop bowel movement changes as a side effect while taking Alli, Drugs.com warns. Loose or frequent bowel movement may be bothersome and may occur in conjunction with stomach discomfort or cramping. You may find it difficult to control your bowel movements, which may lead to embarrassing accidents that result in soiled underwear or clothing. Persistent or severe diarrhea may also make you more susceptible to dehydration. Speak with your doctor if you experience chronic diarrhea or have difficulty controlling your bowels.
    Gas and Oily Discharge

While using Alli, you may experience a buildup of gas within your digestive tract. Excessive gas may cause you to feel unusually bloated, and you may notice that your clothing fits tighter than usual around your midsection. Episodes of gas may be accompanied by oily discharge, RxList reports, which may stain your underwear. Maintaining a healthy, low-fat and reduced-calorie diet may help reduce your risk of developing these unpleasant or bothersome side effects.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/295706-side-effects-of-alli-orlistat/#ixzz2QBtZycm2

Yeah...

Where do I get this stuff? I know a few people I would love to bend over in front of....

Ready, Aim, Fire!
  • Motiv8Jess
    Options
    You're eating too few calories! And exercising and not eating anymore...you're body is in starvation mode. It's clinging to its fat/muscle in order to make up for what you aren't eating. Eat more calories or at least eat to make up for exercise. You will begin to lose pounds within a few weeks. As for Alli, I have done Alli as well and so has my mom. She didn't take it seriously and experienced the side effects and quit. I took it seriously and eat low fat (not no fat, but under the 15g/meal) and have no problems. However, yes fat is essential. Keep to healthy fats and take a multi-vitamin at night so your body can absorb them when you aren't taking the pill. Don't change the dosage to fit certain meals. Stick to the low fat and 2 pills/meal all the time. Hopefully it will also help to maintain a low-fat diet afterwards as well. But seriously, whether you try the pull or not, increase your calories. Or you won't see results. I would increase up to 1500/day with increase for exercise cal burned and eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day so your body doesn't "hoard" the calories. Of course, always easier said than done:) Best of luck! -Jess
    Btw- I use the UP band by Jawbone and love it. Tracks your steps, sleep patterns, cal burned and links to MFP and runkeeper, helps with my motivation. Especially since I have 3 fellow nursing classmates on my "UP team" as well and we keep each other in check;) it's $130. Totally worth it. I bought mine through Amazon and got $50 off for getting an Amaxon Credit card. And no I don't work for them. Lol. Just really like the product
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Since the OP ask the question back in April she's probably figured it out by now.
  • Ratfancy
    Ratfancy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I picked up this old thread because I'm once again trying Alli. Here's my thought: I do a mostly low-carb diet, but I'm addicted to nuts and tend to overeat. So when I do, I'll take a capsule. Nuts keep me full and on track with controlling my daily calories. And I tend to get into them at night. So I'm using Alli so that I can eat more nuts and fewer carbs. At my age, I want to stay off the pre-diabetic list, and lose up to 5 lbs. My BMI is 29, so I'm right at the cutoff where Alli is not likely to be helpful. I'll give it a try - got a cheap unopened bottle on Ebay, so I won't be out much. And I have experience with this drug, so I can avoid the worst side effects by using myfitnesspal to track grams of fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Ratfancy wrote: »
    I picked up this old thread because I'm once again trying Alli. Here's my thought: I do a mostly low-carb diet, but I'm addicted to nuts and tend to overeat. So when I do, I'll take a capsule. Nuts keep me full and on track with controlling my daily calories. And I tend to get into them at night. So I'm using Alli so that I can eat more nuts and fewer carbs. At my age, I want to stay off the pre-diabetic list, and lose up to 5 lbs. My BMI is 29, so I'm right at the cutoff where Alli is not likely to be helpful. I'll give it a try - got a cheap unopened bottle on Ebay, so I won't be out much. And I have experience with this drug, so I can avoid the worst side effects by using myfitnesspal to track grams of fat.
    You do realize that nuts have carbs? The reality is IF you're overeating in calories, that's WHY you're not losing fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png