Fats goals

Options
I'm puzzled.

My micronutrient goals for fat appear to be
Saturated: 19g
Polyunsaturated: 0g
Monounsaturated: 0g

Clearly (?) that's the wrong way round. Saturated ought to be as low as possible and the (healthier?) unsaturated fat goals should have some positive value.

I have not set these goals and followed the "guided setup"

What should these values be?

Thanks

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, the US nutrition officials don't suggest a specific goal for polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats, so MFP sets those to zero by default (they usually follow official nutrition standards, or something equally mainstream anyway). However, the official guidance does suggest a limit for saturated fats, so that one's nonzero accordingly.

You can set the poly/mono values any way you'd like, using any source that you think is authoritative. Personally, I just try to get a good amount of mono/poly in the mix, and typically do, but don't have a specific numeric goal for either one. I average under the MFP sat fat recommendation. Close enough for me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,172 Member
    Options
    The nutrition goals in general are a mix of minimums (fiber, total fat, protein,...) and maximums (saturated fats, sugar).
    Consider the saturated fat goal an upper limit, whereas for unsaturated fats it's more of a minimum. But, as AnnPT77 says, there is no official guideline for a minimum intake of unsaturated fats so that's why it's set at zero.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Are you sure your fat goal is only 19? That seems awfully low?

ETA: duh. Never mind. I see where you got that. Shows how little attention I pay to macro details!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

Saturated.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    Options

ETA: duh. Never mind. I see where you got that. Shows how little attention I pay to macro details!

Total fat is 50g, saturated 19g

I think I'll just do like you and not pay too much attention. I will try to keep saturated as low as possible and not worry about the other fat figures (other than the fat around my belly and hips).
  • marius_paps
    Options
    Thanks, it's making a bit more sense now.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Total fat is 50g, saturated 19g

I think I'll just do like you and not pay too much attention. I will try to keep saturated as low as possible and not worry about the other fat figures (other than the fat around my belly and hips).

If you're trying to improve overall nutrition, maybe just think in terms of eating some nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocados, using oils that are high in MUFA/PUFA rather than sat fats (such as olive oil).

We need some fats in our eating (essential nutrient, needed for absorption of fat-soluble micronutrients (like vitamin A, D, E), cellular health, hormone balance, smooth digestive throughput.

Since we need some, maybe just think of ways you can make the fats you eat relatively more MUFA/PUFA, relatively less sat fat, while still feeling happy with your eating style.
  • marius_paps
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you're trying to improve overall nutrition, maybe just think in terms of eating some nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocados, using oils that are high in MUFA/PUFA rather than sat fats (such as olive oil).

We need some fats in our eating (essential nutrient, needed for absorption of fat-soluble micronutrients (like vitamin A, D, E), cellular health, hormone balance, smooth digestive throughput.

Since we need some, maybe just think of ways you can make the fats you eat relatively more MUFA/PUFA, relatively less sat fat, while still feeling happy with your eating style.

I'm aware that for absorption of vitamins from veggies, we need fats.

I have linseed every day, on average 1/2 avocado, and some olive oil (it's supposed to be good). A little butter shouldn't be too bad I think.

Oh, I'm quite nutty. If available, I'll have some walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and my favourite: peanuts & peanut butter.

All with measure.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm aware that for absorption of vitamins from veggies, we need fats.

I have linseed every day, on average 1/2 avocado, and some olive oil (it's supposed to be good). A little butter shouldn't be too bad I think.

Oh, I'm quite nutty. If available, I'll have some walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and my favourite: peanuts & peanut butter.

All with measure.

Good show! 😊
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    The only bad fats are transfats. Best to consume fat in it's original form and if consuming fats and oil on their own it's best to consume unrefined. Other than that, enjoy.
  • marius_paps
    Options
    The only bad fats are transfats. Best to consume fat in it's original form and if consuming fats and oil on their own it's best to consume unrefined. Other than that, enjoy.

OK. Make sense.

Often those bad trans fats are in the unhealthy hyper-processed, refined industrial 'foodstuff' that we shouldn't be eating but often can't resist due to their addictive ingredients (thanks food industry).