Exercise - Burning 6000 calories a week

Hi guys

I would like to create a calorie deficit primarily through exercise. Any suggestions for what exercise I can do and frequency to achieve this?

I haven't exercised since before the pandemic but when i did: i loved strength training, despised cardio with a passion (although i will do it to keep my heart healthy). I have a dodgy knee so prefer to avoid too much jumping or long distance running. Don't mind exercise classes such as spinning, body pump, boxercise or hot yoga. I don't swim.

If it helps, i have access to a gym and a personal trainer.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Really not enough info about your history to give the advice you probably want but from what you stated...

I would resistance train with appropriate intensity, volume, and rep ranges. If your knee is "dodgy" because of recent trauma, I would seek medical advice. If you claim it is "dodgy" for any other reason, I would want more info as these are usual remedied with appropriate training by a experienced trainer, more than likely not a commercial gym trainer who unfortunately don't have the experience or knowledge for optimal results if any.

If you want to goal 6000 calories burned a week, I would highly recommend you not start anywhere near that level since you have been inactive for a long time.

I would strongly recommend utilizing proper load management as without it your injury risk increases substantially. I'm not trying to alarm you, but it's a mistake I see time and time again.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm not extremely social here anymore, but my page will be focused on a day or so to answer questions that you have for a professional experience coach, trainer, and athlete.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Something not mentioned yet is that adding exercise into your routine can easily increase appetite. I personally am much more hungry days I train than days I don't. Managing to avoid eating more is going to take almost as much discipline as it will take to add that much exercise.

I'll second that.

Basically, you'll be pretty hungry and it'll be really hard to resist eating back a big chunk of those exercise calories. Without a (superhuman?) discipline, you'll get used to eating a lot. And then, when you don't exercise as much, while still eating the amount you've gotten used to, well, we know what'll happen.

Been there done that (and still doing that).

Oh 6000 calories is a looooong time exercising and it's not easy in the long run. Trust me 😁
  • Eleanor_1986
    Eleanor_1986 Posts: 14 Member
    It sounds like you are trying to lose 2 lbs. a week without changing your diet. That is very rapid weight loss unless you are more than 50 lbs. overweight and not easy to sustain. I think you overestimate the burn you get with exercise. Weights don't burn many calories. Nor does yoga. Cardio does burn more calories, but is hard for a beginner to do for long enough to burn significant calories. For me to burn 1000 calories a day, (assuming one day of rest each week) would require 10 miles a day of running or 20 miles a day hiking or 3+ hours a day on the stationary bike. Low impact aerobics would require at least 2 hours a day, probably more. That is a lot of exercise. I've been running and walking daily for years and I wouldn't want to do it.

And one issue I've found with using exercise as a primary means of weight loss is that when you get injured (and odds are, you will get injured if you push yourself that hard) you haven't developed eating habits that will allow you to maintain the weight loss without the exercise, so you quickly gain back the weight you lost (and then some). You would do better to focus on cutting your calories and increase your exercise gradually to a level that is sustainable so that the exercise allows you to eat a few more calories but isn't necessary to keep the weight off.

Yes the goal is 2lbs a week. I have a slow metabolism for various reasons which means that I find it difficult to lose weight by reducing calories. I started at 200lbs and have so far managed to lose 8lbs at a snail’s pace. I’m aiming for a total loss of 50 lbs to get me to my pre-pandemic weight so there’s a lot to go.

You have made a very good point about injury. I will focus on slowly building up my exercise as suggested and see how that goes.
  • Eleanor_1986
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Really not enough info about your history to give the advice you probably want but from what you stated...

I would resistance train with appropriate intensity, volume, and rep ranges. If your knee is "dodgy" because of recent trauma, I would seek medical advice. If you claim it is "dodgy" for any other reason, I would want more info as these are usual remedied with appropriate training by a experienced trainer, more than likely not a commercial gym trainer who unfortunately don't have the experience or knowledge for optimal results if any.

If you want to goal 6000 calories burned a week, I would highly recommend you not start anywhere near that level since you have been inactive for a long time.

I would strongly recommend utilizing proper load management as without it your injury risk increases substantially. I'm not trying to alarm you, but it's a mistake I see time and time again.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm not extremely social here anymore, but my page will be focused on a day or so to answer questions that you have for a professional experience coach, trainer, and athlete.

Thank you for the advice and I will take you up on the offer to add you as a friend.

I think the dodgy knee might be to do with me being too heavy when it comes to jumping/running type activities and improper form when it comes to things like lunges.

I have actually struggled to find a trainer this time round as they seem to be inexperienced and, based on appearances only (which i am aware is not always the right approach) don't seem to follow their own training plans.
  • davidbarnett852
    davidbarnett852 Posts: 4 Member
    Lots of great comments and advice here. Good luck, the only input I'll add is dont beat yourself up if you have an off day or even week, just reset your head and motivation then get back on it :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you cant out exercise a bad diet.

losing weight through exercise alone IS possible, but IS difficult (not to mention, as others have said, your hunger levels will increase), and then you run into the problem of MAINTAINING that loss....

What happens if you injure yourself, or have a health issue and can not work out, or for any other reason can't workout? what then? I wasn't able to work out for the majority of this year. Doctors orders. I have a slow metabolism (due to significant weight loss). I still lost 50 pounds this year on diet alone. So.... a slow metabolism is no excuse for diet not working.

Just some things to think about, that sometimes we dont ....
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2021
    6000 calories a week, for most people, is around 12 hours of decently hard exercising a week.

I burn around that, but it takes me 7 pretty brutally hard sessions by most standards. I do cardio 6 times a week and lift 2 X a week. One is where I lift and use a rowing machine doing HIIT for an hour. I've been training for 15 years to get to the point of burning that many calories in 7 or so workouts a week.

IMHO, saying I'm going to burn 6000 calories a week to lose weight is setting yourself up for failure. If you tried to do 6000 calories this week in exercise and you haven't exercised since Covid, you're going to likely injure yourself.

Why not ease back into it? The only way I could possibly burn 6000 calories in a week is because I spent 10 years very, very slowly (incrementally) easing my way into more exercise. And I'm consistent as hell. When I started jogging (and that's being kind with what I did), it used to take me an hour to burn 400 calories. I regularly burn 650 to 750 or 800 now on my "easy" days. But understand, that takes years to develop that kind of cardio stamina.

I have a very dodgy knee too. Was told 16 years ago I needed a full replacement. Rowing is easy on the knee. So is stationary bike and (some) ellipticals -- ellipticals can hurt my knee too. Climbers are great. So are Stairmasters.

If you really want to burn calories, start slow -- build back gently. Don't go too hard or you'll get discouraged and quit.

Turns out I vastly underestimated the amount of calories one can burn while exercising!! I’ll definitely start slow as suggested.

I actually love rowing intervals so I’ll incorporate those. Thank you.

If you do choose rowing, look closely as some rowing instuctions online. Dark Horse Rowing and Cassie Neimann are two of my favorites. I also saw you in the UK. There are a TON of rowing gyms and rowing clubs there. On the water rowing there is huge. I'm a member of an online (indoor) rowing club and nearly 70 percent of the members are from the UK. Rowing is one of those things that's not really intuitive. It seems like it is but it so isn't. If you start out with good form, it's much easier.

Don't give up on cardio just yet. I detested cardio when I started losing weight. I started out just walking and using stationary bike and light lifting -- simply as a means to get more calories to do my favorite thing -- eat!

A fantastic approach to exercise is just eat your calorie budget and use exercise as a cushion for weight loss and measuring mistakes. I used to try to eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all of them. Like half of them. What I found, over time, is because I became so consistent, I enjoyed pushing the cardio after a few years.

Now, I'm "one of those guys" that does cardio and is somewhat addicted to it. I get really cranky now when I don't do cardio. I enjoy weights too but not as much. But a great routine includes both and even (perhaps) some flexibility exercises as well.

While everyone is right that weight loss is primarily in the kitchen, I will tell you that maintenance is where exercise habits become more critical. Nearly everyone I know on here that is years into maintenance also exercises a lot. The National Weight Loss Registry (which is for people that have lost over 100 lbs and kept it off for years) did a survey a while back and what they figured out was the average time people spend exercising, who have kept weight loss off for years (and that number is only like 10% of people that drop the weight keep it off), is an hour a day. I lost around 100 lbs originally, so that's a number I shoot for -- roughly 6 or 7 hours a week. But that has to be something you organically build up to while being smart.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    It sounds like you are trying to lose 2 lbs. a week without changing your diet. That is very rapid weight loss unless you are more than 50 lbs. overweight and not easy to sustain. I think you overestimate the burn you get with exercise. Weights don't burn many calories. Nor does yoga. Cardio does burn more calories, but is hard for a beginner to do for long enough to burn significant calories. For me to burn 1000 calories a day, (assuming one day of rest each week) would require 10 miles a day of running or 20 miles a day hiking or 3+ hours a day on the stationary bike. Low impact aerobics would require at least 2 hours a day, probably more. That is a lot of exercise. I've been running and walking daily for years and I wouldn't want to do it.

And one issue I've found with using exercise as a primary means of weight loss is that when you get injured (and odds are, you will get injured if you push yourself that hard) you haven't developed eating habits that will allow you to maintain the weight loss without the exercise, so you quickly gain back the weight you lost (and then some). You would do better to focus on cutting your calories and increase your exercise gradually to a level that is sustainable so that the exercise allows you to eat a few more calories but isn't necessary to keep the weight off.

Yes the goal is 2lbs a week. I have a slow metabolism for various reasons which means that I find it difficult to lose weight by reducing calories. I started at 200lbs and have so far managed to lose 8lbs at a snail’s pace. I’m aiming for a total loss of 50 lbs to get me to my pre-pandemic weight so there’s a lot to go.

You have made a very good point about injury. I will focus on slowly building up my exercise as suggested and see how that goes.

what makes you think you have a slow metabolism?
  • Eleanor_1986

If you do choose rowing, look closely as some rowing instuctions online. Dark Horse Rowing and Cassie Neimann are two of my favorites. I also saw you in the UK. There are a TON of rowing gyms and rowing clubs there. On the water rowing there is huge. I'm a member of an online (indoor) rowing club and nearly 70 percent of the members are from the UK. Rowing is one of those things that's not really intuitive. It seems like it is but it so isn't. If you start out with good form, it's much easier.

Don't give up on cardio just yet. I detested cardio when I started losing weight. I started out just walking and using stationary bike and light lifting -- simply as a means to get more calories to do my favorite thing -- eat!

A fantastic approach to exercise is just eat your calorie budget and use exercise as a cushion for weight loss and measuring mistakes. I used to try to eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all of them. Like half of them. What I found, over time, is because I became so consistent, I enjoyed pushing the cardio after a few years.

Now, I'm "one of those guys" that does cardio and is somewhat addicted to it. I get really cranky now when I don't do cardio. I enjoy weights too but not as much. But a great routine includes both and even (perhaps) some flexibility exercises as well.

While everyone is right that weight loss is primarily in the kitchen, I will tell you that maintenance is where exercise habits become more critical. Nearly everyone I know on here that is years into maintenance also exercises a lot. The National Weight Loss Registry (which is for people that have lost over 100 lbs and kept it off for years) did a survey a while back and what they figured out was the average time people spend exercising, who have kept weight loss off for years (and that number is only like 10% of people that drop the weight keep it off), is an hour a day. I lost around 100 lbs originally, so that's a number I shoot for -- roughly 6 or 7 hours a week. But that has to be something you organically build up to while being smart.

I’m in the UK but sadly nowhere near the water. Thank you for the pointer towards rowing videos - I’ll check them out and use until I find a decent trainer. My last trainer (in London) was a rowing enthusiast and after a year of rowing and generally working out with him I didn’t suffer any injuries. I miss him!

Interesting study. Exercise is very important for me too and also because it allows me to eat more and maintain once I get to goal weight!
  • Eleanor_1986

what makes you think you have a slow metabolism?

15 years of yo yo dieting and, lately, limited exercise! I have actually been limiting my calories - I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories and still struggle to lose weight. I count all calories so I’m certain that is the range I fall into. I cannot further reduce my calories so exercise makes sense to boost my metabolism and lose weight.