Dumbbell Chains Idea

Thought here would be a good place to post this too. I weighed these chains at lows, best weight to $$ ratio at 1 pound per foot of chain.34nd7t0eli2n.jpg
0qriaxofvxg7.jpg
uth1ozhqhbmw.jpg

( I brought my food scale to weigh them with me LOL) but overall this idea is working well as I work out at home so I will take whatever I can to add resistance.

Replies

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited November 2021
    I've seen chain used for large bars to increase resistance gradually dragging up from the floor, where changing body position lowers resistance, but not dumbbells. I've used rubber loop bands to bridge the gap from 25 to 47.5 lbs for pairs I have at home - bands attach and remove quick, similarly increase force at the end of the range of motion (and of course have other uses.)
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    So what is the cost per pound? (1 pound per foot doesn't tell us anything about the value...)
  • waleson85
    waleson85 Posts: 10 Member

The cost per foot can depend on where you get them at. I know Home Depot on average seems to cost less than Lowes stuff, but if I recall it was somewhere around $4 per foot.

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member

So you're paying $4 per foot, which is 1 pound? That's not a good deal. You can typically find plates for around $1.50/lb new and $1/lb used pretty easily right now.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    So you're paying $4 per foot, which is 1 pound? That's not a good deal. You can typically find plates for around $1.50/lb new and $1/lb used pretty easily right now.

Sometimes you need to go up 1-2 lbs. Don’t dumbbells go up in 5-pound increments?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    rileyes wrote: »

Sometimes you need to go up 1-2 lbs. Don’t dumbbells go up in 5-pound increments?

Under 30 lbs, they typically go up in 2.5 lbs increments.
    Over 30 lbs, smaller increments are generally unnecessary.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Not hating on your idea, just genuinely asking:
    What's the purpose of the chain?
    Generally, chains are used on barbells for lifts like bench and squat, their purpose being that they lay on the ground while the weight is low and get lifted as you lift the bar, making it actually heavier on the high end of the lift than when you're "down in the hole."
    These look like they'd just be hanging and swinging while you use the dumbbells.
    Just to add extra weight?