Rest Days?

Options

So I’m not focusing on weight loss or bulking, but just general weight maintenance. Question, how often do you have rest days, or do you have any at all? Currently, I have 1 rest day for the week. I try to get movement/workout 6 days (including strength). Would walking be fine on a rest day or should I be allowing my body to have a day off? I overthink things 🤣. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,316 Member
    Options

Walking should be fine. To some extent, you can use how you feel as a guide, but how you feel after multiple weeks of a particular schedule/routine could have a different cumulative effect than just one week's trial.

I've been working out regularly for almost 20 years. I usually take one formal rest day per week, which may include an easy walk or some yoga, or some other non-fatiguing non-stressful thing. (The definitions of "non-fatiguing" and "non-stressful" will vary some, by individual fitness level and other factors).

At this point, I also know that I do better if I don't do the exact same workout types day in and day out. For example, in season, I usually alternate on-water rowing with cycling, but often include a longer but easy-pace walk (usually about 5 miles) on the rowing days. Strength workouts always have one day between workouts of the same muscle groups.

How much of this is necessary in general? Some. How much of my routine just works better for me this way because of individual characteristics, like joint conditions, age, fitness level, etc.? Some. People new to exercise, or resuming after a long time off, IMO, should include more recovery time (maybe more recovery days), and increase gradually, for best results. Recovery is when much of the getting stronger/fitter happens, and some types of recovery are specific to the stressed muscle systems used in the exercises (such as strength training).

If someone has access to a formal training plan for their chosen activity (such as C25K for runners, or a good strength program for lifters, but there are other examples), a plan that's appropriate to their fitness/experience level, that's a great thing. Some of the higher-end fitness tracking devices/apps also have metrics for tracking overall fatigue, which can be helpful. Not everyone needs to go that far, but they're good things to be aware of, especially as fitness and goals get more advanced.

• PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness!! Thank you SO much! Truly!! I’ve always been a fidgety, antsy person who loves movement. I played tennis 2hr+ 6-7 days a week for a good 10+ years and also general workouts. I definitely work at changing things up due to boredom as well as wanting to get various muscle groups and support different joints. This is incredibly helpful for me, thank you!! I’ll continue listening to my body and not overthink it as much! ❤️ Thank you again!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner who usually runs 5 days a week. I have a dog, so I walk 2-3 miles 7 days a week. On my non-running days, what I do depends on how I feel and how busy I am. Some of my non-running days I just walk the dog, some days I'll also ride the stationary bike, or mow the lawn or do yoga or Pilates or go for a hike. When my body tells me I need a break, I take it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you called it a recovery day rather than a rest day you would see that walking is (more than likely) fine.

Unless you are training just like someone else and have the same training and recovery capabilities as that other person it's not really a useful comparison to know that they take zero, 1, 2 or lots of rest days.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I don't have a vigorous workout regime; it consists mostly of an hour to 1.5 hrs of indoor biking and rowing cardio, but I do take a "rest day" once a week from the machines. However, I try to get in a 1.5 - 2 mile walk on the rest day. I guess it just feels like a wasted opportunity to me to have a whole day go by where I don't make any investment in my physical well being. Even a half hour brisk walk makes me feel like I did something useful for myself. I try to eat carefully and healthily on the rest day, because I've learned that for myself, the combination of not really doing a workout AND not drilling down on the health and calories of the food can lead to bad behavior.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I workout typically 5 days a week. Weekends are my off days. But we have a farm so even my off days are pretty active, unless I really CHOOSE to be lazy. and it happens sometimes. But not often.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I'm a runner who usually runs 5 days a week. I have a dog, so I walk 2-3 miles 7 days a week. On my non-running days, what I do depends on how I feel and how busy I am. Some of my non-running days I just walk the dog, some days I'll also ride the stationary bike, or mow the lawn or do yoga or Pilates or go for a hike. When my body tells me I need a break, I take it.

Love this!! Thank you so much, I appreciate it!! I enjoy learning that others are still active on rest/recovery days!! I overthink it so my brain wasn’t sure what would be considered rest haha. Thank you!!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you called it a recovery day rather than a rest day you would see that walking is (more than likely) fine.

Unless you are training just like someone else and have the same training and recovery capabilities as that other person it's not really a useful comparison to know that they take zero, 1, 2 or lots of rest days.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be referring to it more as a recovery day! And that’s very, very true! We are all so different! Thank you again!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I don't have a vigorous workout regime; it consists mostly of an hour to 1.5 hrs of indoor biking and rowing cardio, but I do take a "rest day" once a week from the machines. However, I try to get in a 1.5 - 2 mile walk on the rest day. I guess it just feels like a wasted opportunity to me to have a whole day go by where I don't make any investment in my physical well being. Even a half hour brisk walk makes me feel like I did something useful for myself. I try to eat carefully and healthily on the rest day, because I've learned that for myself, the combination of not really doing a workout AND not drilling down on the health and calories of the food can lead to bad behavior.

This aligns so much with me! Thank you, I appreciate it a ton! Truly!!