Body Pump Workout

Options
Hi guys. Just wondering what do you think about body pump workout class? Is it worth to try ?

"A 1 hour BODY PUMP workout focuses on a different muscle group. You can always expect lots of squats, deadlifts, lunges, biceps curls, push ups, chest presses, overhead presses and more.

Personal Trainers recommends practicing 2 to 3 times a week and make sure you always take a day off during this period.

In BODY PUMP workout, there are options for various abilities. If you are just starting to exercise, begin with a very light weight, only do the first 4 to 6 tracks a few times a week. After many training sessions, you will find that your physical fitness and strength have improved."

Source: https://www.rponlinecoaching.com/post/body-pump-workout

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is worth a try to see if you enjoy it and get some fitness benefit from it.

Did it with my wife for a while and it was fun to do together.
    Not something that really works with my fitness goals but depends what you like and what your goals are.
  • Vytes
    Vytes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replay
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Body pump is good fun - I did classes for a while. Have a go and see if you enjoy it - be careful - I saw a lot of terrible form (mainly men using far too heavy weights)!
  • gazpainter
    gazpainter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Les Mills is recognised as the best online classes around. Such a good mixture of hundreds of types and straight on your tv too and for all fitness levels. We lost nearly 14 inches and 3 stone in 12 weeks doing it last summer and for over a year do 4 to 5 classes a week at home, it's great!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump and have done it for years. It's not really about building strength but training for endurance so it's sort of between strength and cardio.

Definitely give it a go but it'll take a while to really understand the format and some of the moves. Let the trainer know you're new and they'll talk you through it.

Let us know how you go :smile:
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Body pump is good fun - I did classes for a while. Have a go and see if you enjoy it - be careful - I saw a lot of terrible form (mainly men using far too heavy weights)!

Agree with this!
  • ardeca
    ardeca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump. I don't have to think about what exercises to do since I am being told. Plus it is a full body workout so I'm not trying to weight train everyday to ensure I am hitting all my muscles. There are different levels and you can base the weights on your level, adding or subtracting as necessary.

I would recommend giving it a try and keep in mind to give yourself a minimum of four classes to get accustomed to the format. As mentioned above talk to the instructor before class and they will walk you through everything. If you have questions after you give it a try, the instructor is there to assist. In my experience they want you to be successful without injury and are willing to spend the time with you.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I used to take a class once a week until they stopped having it. I liked it at the time and felt like I was getting a decent workout. As someone else mentioned it's more about building muscular endurance than a lot of strength. However, for me I needed to add in some additional moves to target glutes and core, as those are my areas of weakness. I don't think they have a lot of focus for either of those areas.

I now do weightlifting with progressive overload as it's more geared toward my goals right now and I've learned a lot more about strength training since I've had to do it on my own.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I have not just seen participants with horrible and dangerous form I have also seen instructors with horrible form fwiw
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have not just seen participants with horrible and dangerous form I have also seen instructors with horrible form fwiw

Yep, we had a male instructor (of course, right :p ), that not only seemed to be using too heavy of weights, but was off tempo and was not good at all at cueing. He had to film himself teaching to get his certification or recertification, but I don't think he passed.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I don’t rate it at all. There’s too many reps and half reps and random selection of exercises with no progression. But if you like it then that’s fine. It’s better than nothing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not my cup of tea and doesn't really jive with my fitness goals, but when you're getting started with fitness and regular exercise I think it's very valuable to try a variety of different things. Regular exercise has numerous health benefits and should be viewed as a forever thing, not just a weight loss thing, so finding things you enjoy to keep yourself active and engaged is really important.

Trying a variety of things will help to weed out the things you don't really care for and discover passions you never knew you had. I tried so many different things early on and some of those things fell by the wayside as I did not enjoy them, but many of them I still do here and there in addition to my passion for all things bike. Those other things give me variety in my exercise activity and keep me engaged and keep me from getting too bored with any one thing.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I clicked the link. It wouldn’t scroll down for me, so I couldn’t see the entire description. IMO, any exercise is better than no exercise, so no harm in trying it. I worry a little when the first large font it’s, they post is burn 550 calories in an hour. That would be a really intense workout. If you are a beginning, this is likely not a beginner class. I am very skeptical when I see unrealistic claims like that calorie burn estimate.

Personally, I use BeachBody on demand (BOD) and FitOn apps. BOD is $120/year. FitOn is free.
    They both have 100s of workout videos for every fitness level.

If you are starting out, then ensure to be careful and pace yourself. The last thing you want to do is go too hard, sustain an injury or get discouraged.

Good luck
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love body pump. I do it about 4 times a week. My gym offers classes with a Few different instructors and some are better than others. Start with light weights and listen to the instructor about form and techniques for your first couple sessions. Oh and dont be put off by the show offs using the huge weights, theyre usually idiots with bad form and injuries waiting to happen.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did body pump for quite awhile. It's a good start when you're not familiar with strength training. I had a good coach who did pay a lot of attention on form. For me it was a good step up to the real deal. I don't do classes like that anymore cause it's more endurance and because working on the beat you are limited on weight. But thanks to that I now know how to proper squat, deadlift, lunge etc etc
  • Goodheavens2
    Goodheavens2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I enjoy pump classes. I do one class a week. It's a change from my usual running and walking routine. I found it left me wanting more when I first did it....I like my cardio! But now I use it as a recovery day after a long run and it fits in really well. It's more interesting to me than a weights session, mainly because it's the only time I go to a class and I like the atmosphere with others. My running is solitary and so are my weights sessions, so a pump class is a nice change.
    Try it. See if you like it. If you don't, try something else. But stick with it for a few classes as you may change your mind, as I did!