Here bc Joe Rogan

Options
I just turned 65 and believe it or not I love the Joe Rogan podcast. I decided if Joe can obsess over fitness in his mid 50's, maybe I could too? Maybe I SHOULD too? The weight is creeping up and I'm not sure I believe the 20 extra lbs is due to age, gender, menopause, blah, blah. Excuses. I want to fight it!!!! "The Revolution Starts,,,NOW" (Steve Earle)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Cliffs Notes of Weight Loss:
    • small, sustainable changes
    • Understand weight fluctuations are normal. Thinks of a roller coaster, not a steep mountain slope down. Some weeks up, some weeks down. Its the OVERALL TREND that matters
    • Learn to weigh your food ON A FOOD SCALE
    • Learn how to find ACCURATE DATABASE ENTRIES
    • BE ACTIVE - get off your butt and MOVE. Find SOMETHING you enjoy. If your activity is limited, find ways to move that you are ABLE to do
    • Deprivation is the key to Binging and falling off the wagon. Learn how to fit your favorite things in regularly. There are no 'bad foods' Just 'bad quantities'.
    • One 'bad' day will not undo your deficit.
    • You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

Useful Links

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

and basically ... all of these :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to MFP!

I'm 65, turning 66 next week, and very inclined to agree that creeping weight gain is not so much about "age, gender, menopause, blah, blah" as about less-active lifestyle, and muscle mass that declines if we don't do what's needed to challenge it.

A mere 100 calories daily above calorie needs, on average, adds 10 pounds in a year: The math is kind of startling, but also gives cause for optimism. Eating 200 calories daily less than needed to maintain current weight, on average, ought to add up to 20 pounds lost in a year. Yeah, that's a whole serving of peanut butter, or equivalent, on average, daily . . . but it's really not that much. A little bigger calorie deficit, and weight drops faster (but slow and sustainable is a good goal, to form habits for keeping it off).

Fitness is a great thing, but for me, weight loss was more about managing eating, and not in some extreme or painful way. I'd gotten quite athletically active in my mid 40s, and that was a big quality of life improvement, but it didn't result in weight loss - so easy to eat those few hundred extra calories from the workouts. Weight loss happened *after* a dozen or more years of a decent fitness routine (during which I stayed overweight), when I started calorie counting with MFP at age 59-60. I've been at a healthy weight since, basically same fitness routine for almost 2 decades now.

Excellent advice and links from @callsitlikeiseeit, above.

Best wishes for success: If you commit to it, stick with it, you'll get there.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • littleswissarmyhouse
    Options
    These are great tips. Thank you! I've used MFP over the years just not lately. I'm done at work until Jan/Feb so REALLY going to get a routine going now. Joined the tiny local gym for the treadmill (4 mi/day), eating 1200 cal/day, and drinking diet coke in the rain. I live in the NW rainforest where boozing through the rainy season is pretty common. lol
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    These are great tips. Thank you! I've used MFP over the years just not lately. I'm done at work until Jan/Feb so REALLY going to get a routine going now. Joined the tiny local gym for the treadmill (4 mi/day), eating 1200 cal/day, and drinking diet coke in the rain. I live in the NW rainforest where boozing through the rainy season is pretty common. lol

1200 calories may be on the low side, depending on your demographic and personal details? (It was too low for me at 59-60, for sure.) Many around here - I'm one - recommend losing no faster than 0.5%-1% of one's current body weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that unless so severely obese that the obesity in itself creates health risk, and/or one's under close medical supervision for deficiencies or other medical problems.

I ask partly because the idea that women universally need to eat 1200 or fewer calories to lose has really taken hold culturally. It's true that some do need to do that, and those who do are likely to be shorter, less active women in our demographic. But even among us, it's not universal. I lost 50+ pounds in less than a year, most of that eating 1400-1600 calories daily *plus* all my exercise calories, so often 1800-2000 calories gross intake. (MFP intends one to set activity level based on pre-exercise life, then log and eat exercise calories when the exercise happens.) I admit I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner even before exercise, but there are many women our age for whom 1200 is aggressively low, especially if not eating back exercise calories.

Do you only have those 20 pounds to lose? If so, that would make a slower loss rate more health risk averse. Researchers believe we can only lose a small number of calories of fat per day, per pound of fat we have, so the implication is that with less fat - even if still more fat than we wish we had! - slow loss is muscle- and health-preserving. I don't know about you, but one of the few limiting things I do notice in myself (amidst much nonsense in our culture about how aging is some kind of curse!) is that I'm a little less resilient to total cumulative physical/psychological stress, i.e., overdoing (anything) has a bit more abrupt impact, and it takes a bit longer to recover.

Wishing you much success!
  • littleswissarmyhouse
    Options
    Well steady as she goes! I have now entered the 155 pound zone, in spite of Thanksgiving! After starting at 160 November 10, I'm pretty happy with that! Dropping 5lb/mo seems a reachable goal. Kudos to treadmills and Tim Dillon podcasts for making it happen! hahaha ;D
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Good show - congratulations!